Pirated/Stolen Apps

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
We'll have to revisit this thread in the event that Apple ends up making Siri available on the 4 some day. In the meantime, I also wonder how people feel about Apple taking away the existing Siri service from users of older devices?I'm talking here about the app that was released ages before the 4S. That one was DESIGNED to work on older devices, but Apple has now decided that we aren't allowed to use that version either. I wonder why?

The Original Siri App Gets Pulled From The App Store, Servers To Be Killed | TechCrunch

Last edited:

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
What I find most interesting is the OP's reasoning for this stance. It's not morality (jailbreaking = stealing = morally wrong [yes, arguable logic]) as opposed to the fact that if it's available on the iPhone 4, traffic on the Siri servers will increase, affecting his experience. I don't see this as much more that the standard issue of ox-goring not being a problem, until it's your ox that's being gored.

From where I sit, not much of an issue. Moving on...

robes1

May 31, 2009
Visit site
What I find most interesting is the OP's reasoning for this stance. It's not morality (jailbreaking = stealing = morally wrong [yes, arguable logic]) as opposed to the fact that if it's available on the iPhone 4, traffic on the Siri servers will increase, affecting his experience. I don't see this as much more that the standard issue of ox-goring not being a problem, until it's your ox that's being gored.

From where I sit, not much of an issue. Moving on...

I guess you read what you wanted to read and not everything obviously. I also said that I spent money on a 4S to get Siri and that others who want it should have to do the same. Can you see it now? Now, I could understand a problem that comes from too many people who spent money on it causing it to crash but freeloaders causing it to crash is an entirely different animal all together. And totally unfair.

robes1

May 31, 2009
Visit site
We'll have to revisit this thread in the event that Apple ends up making Siri available on the 4 some day. In the meantime, I also wonder how people feel about Apple taking away the existing Siri service from users of older devices?I'm talking here about the app that was released ages before the 4S. That one was DESIGNED to work on older devices, but Apple has now decided that we aren't allowed to use that version either. I wonder why?

AOL Error Page

I already read about this problem. I don't know what to make of it. I definitely believe that people who already had the app should be allowed to keep it. Especially if it wasn't a free app. Nobody should have an app taken away that they spent their money on. This isn't the first time that Apple has done this although the other instance was for different reasons. I'm thinking back to when certain apps that allowed you to tether hit the app store and how they were disguised as something else. I think that one of them was supposed to have been a flashlight app but it had a hidden trick which was the ability to add tethering functionality to your iPhone when it wasn't available. Not the same thing but the same end result. People spent money and the app was later removed. What would Jesus do? Probably kick you off iCloud?! LOL!

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
I have no idea how Siri would have performed on the 4 but I'm thinking that the amount of people who have a 4 already might have played a huge part in the making of that decision. There are millions and millions of people with the 4. If the 4 million people who got the 4S crippled Siri can you imagine what would have happened if all the people who got the 4 over the past year and a half on top of the new 4 million 4S owners jumped on at once? It would still be down. They were not even ready for all of the 4S owners. Siri went down hard.

You should direct any frustration or anger at Apple, not anyone else. If Siri doesn't work right, take it up with Apple. I understand you enjoy this feature. But Apple is aware of the jailbreak scene. They pay people enough to worry about this stuff.

For example, if you're concerned all those mywi or free tethering users are slowing down your network, complain to AT&T. They've already taken steps to mitigate this by sending out warnings.

FWIW, jailbreaking will probably decline with the iOS 5 changes. Even keeping the jb means forgetting about backing up through cloud or using OTA updates. And what if Apple makes those updates mandatory? On webOS, you'd be reminded, but eventually it would download/install the update. I'm sure jb'ers will work around this, but the point is, it's not going to be as easy for the enduser and will scare away the more casual users.

robes1

May 31, 2009
Visit site
If you bought the earlier version of Siri, Apple gave you an iTunes credit when they pulled it from the store.

Excellent! Happy to hear that they handled it with the usual class and style! Not sure that it was enough to make everyone happy though. Guess you can't please everyone. Only a fool tries to.

robes1

May 31, 2009
Visit site
You should direct any frustration or anger at Apple, not anyone else. If Siri doesn't work right, take it up with Apple. I understand you enjoy this feature. But Apple is aware of the jailbreak scene. They pay people enough to worry about this stuff.

For example, if you're concerned all those mywi or free tethering users are slowing down your network, complain to AT&T. They've already taken steps to mitigate this by sending out warnings.

FWIW, jailbreaking will probably decline with the iOS 5 changes. Even keeping the jb means forgetting about backing up through cloud or using OTA updates. And what if Apple makes those updates mandatory? On webOS, you'd be reminded, but eventually it would download/install the update. I'm sure jb'ers will work around this, but the point is, it's not going to be as easy for the enduser and will scare away the more casual users.

Valid argument. I agree!

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
Excellent! Happy to hear that they handled it with the usual class and style! Not sure that it was enough to make everyone happy though. Guess you can't please everyone. Only a fool tries to.

I'm really a pretty big Apple fan, but even I would hesitate to call that "class and style". I doubt people who used Siri every day are beaming about getting a 99 cent (or whatever the cost may have been) credit to their account at the expense of a service they relied on. And bear in mind, some of those people may have spent the same amount on their iPhone 4 just a month or two ago as you did on the 4S--yet they are shut out forever while newer devices get the service for no additional charge.

At any rate, I'll respectfully bow out of the conversation now--since I don't use Siri and don't plan to even if it's made available on my device, I don't and won't have much personal experience to bring to the arguments for or against. I'll keep reading, though; it's an interesting topic!

robes1

May 31, 2009
Visit site
I'm really a pretty big Apple fan, but even I would hesitate to call that "class and style". I doubt people who used Siri every day are beaming about getting a 99 cent (or whatever the cost may have been) credit to their account at the expense of a service they relied on. And bear in mind, some of those people may have spent the same amount on their iPhone 4 just a month or two ago as you did on the 4S--yet they are shut out forever while newer devices get the service for no additional charge.

At any rate, I'll respectfully bow out of the conversation now--since I don't use Siri and don't plan to even if it's made available on my device, I don't and won't have much personal experience to bring to the arguments for or against. I'll keep reading, though; it's an interesting topic!

I also agree with your point of view. As I stated earlier, I don't think that people who bought the app should have had the service taken away. But we don't know if Apple has had to pay more than what that app cost for each person to be able to use the service on the 4S. If it was more the. Maybe they should be allowed to pay the difference.

JohnH59

Dec 19, 2004
Visit site
You ever been to China?

You can go into any cell shops and they will jailbreak your iPhone and install a suite of 100 or so of the most popular apps and games. This accounts for a huuuuuge percentage of jail breakers, I have no doubt about it.

I've only been there a couple of times. I guess you and I hang out at completely different places. I've not seen this as you described.

liquidzoo

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site
To me, the issue of Siri being ported over is like putting a turbocharger on a VW bus. Will it work? Possibly, but why would you do it other than to say you did.

The new Siri was designed (or updated, as the case may be) specifically to work on the new dual core A5 chip that's in the 4S (and iPad 2, though it's not available there either to my knowledge). Initially it was thought to be hardware-locked to that chip, but that turned out to not be the case. Every test I've seen of Siri on the iPhone 4 has shown that it won't connect to the server. IF (and that's a big if) they can get around that, there's still no guarantee of it working properly.

I'd love to have a 4S (or even a 4), but sadly my budget won't allow it at this time. Will I run Siri on my device? No. I have enough issues with the 3GS as it is to worry about running something several generations newer than the hardware I have.

I am Jailbroken, and I'll tell you why: Customization. I wanted to add new notification sounds (now possible with iOS 5), but couldn't. Now I can. I like having my son giggle every time I get a text message, and I could do that by jailbreaking. I like having more than 4 icons on my dock, or more than 12 apps in a folder, or being able to double tap my status bar and close all running apps at once. Necessary? Absolutely not, but it's a personal preference. That's what the jailbreaking community is all about: Personal preferences. It's the same with the Android rooting community.

Don't call us all pirates and thieves. We're not. I have never and will never install ANYTHING that's pirated. Not a theme, not an icon, and definitely not an app.

robes1

May 31, 2009
Visit site
To me, the issue of Siri being ported over is like putting a turbocharger on a VW bus. Will it work? Possibly, but why would you do it other than to say you did.

The new Siri was designed (or updated, as the case may be) specifically to work on the new dual core A5 chip that's in the 4S (and iPad 2, though it's not available there either to my knowledge). Initially it was thought to be hardware-locked to that chip, but that turned out to not be the case. Every test I've seen of Siri on the iPhone 4 has shown that it won't connect to the server. IF (and that's a big if) they can get around that, there's still no guarantee of it working properly.

I'd love to have a 4S (or even a 4), but sadly my budget won't allow it at this time. Will I run Siri on my device? No. I have enough issues with the 3GS as it is to worry about running something several generations newer than the hardware I have.

I am Jailbroken, and I'll tell you why: Customization. I wanted to add new notification sounds (now possible with iOS 5), but couldn't. Now I can. I like having my son giggle every time I get a text message, and I could do that by jailbreaking. I like having more than 4 icons on my dock, or more than 12 apps in a folder, or being able to double tap my status bar and close all running apps at once. Necessary? Absolutely not, but it's a personal preference. That's what the jailbreaking community is all about: Personal preferences. It's the same with the Android rooting community.

Don't call us all pirates and thieves. We're not. I have never and will never install ANYTHING that's pirated. Not a theme, not an icon, and definitely not an app.

I agree. My iPhone 4 was jailbroken since the release of the very first untethered jailbreak after it was release. I also never used pirated apps. Just because it's there doesn't mean that everyone is gonna grab it. It's like seeing the back of an armored car open with nobody around. Some would go for it. I would definitely not.

robes1

May 31, 2009
Visit site
Were you aware that we had people who don't like to pay for things and then see other people steal it and use it for free?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waeriyadh