I'm really a pretty big Apple fan, but even I would hesitate to call that "class and style". I doubt people who used Siri every day are beaming about getting a 99 cent (or whatever the cost may have been) credit to their account at the expense of a service they relied on. And bear in mind, some of those people may have spent the same amount on their iPhone 4 just a month or two ago as you did on the 4S--yet they are shut out forever while newer devices get the service for no additional charge.

At any rate, I'll respectfully bow out of the conversation now--since I don't use Siri and don't plan to even if it's made available on my device, I don't and won't have much personal experience to bring to the arguments for or against. I'll keep reading, though; it's an interesting topic!
    I also agree with your point of view. As I stated earlier, I don't think that people who bought the app should have had the service taken away. But we don't know if Apple has had to pay more than what that app cost for each person to be able to use the service on the 4S. If it was more the. Maybe they should be allowed to pay the difference.
    10-24-2011 10:23 AM
    You ever been to China?

You can go into any cell shops and they will jailbreak your iPhone and install a suite of 100 or so of the most popular apps and games. This accounts for a huuuuuge percentage of jail breakers, I have no doubt about it.
    I've only been there a couple of times. I guess you and I hang out at completely different places. I've not seen this as you described.
    10-24-2011 10:57 AM
    To me, the issue of Siri being ported over is like putting a turbocharger on a VW bus. Will it work? Possibly, but why would you do it other than to say you did.

The new Siri was designed (or updated, as the case may be) specifically to work on the new dual core A5 chip that's in the 4S (and iPad 2, though it's not available there either to my knowledge). Initially it was thought to be hardware-locked to that chip, but that turned out to not be the case. Every test I've seen of Siri on the iPhone 4 has shown that it won't connect to the server. IF (and that's a big if) they can get around that, there's still no guarantee of it working properly.

I'd love to have a 4S (or even a 4), but sadly my budget won't allow it at this time. Will I run Siri on my device? No. I have enough issues with the 3GS as it is to worry about running something several generations newer than the hardware I have.

I am Jailbroken, and I'll tell you why: Customization. I wanted to add new notification sounds (now possible with iOS 5), but couldn't. Now I can. I like having my son giggle every time I get a text message, and I could do that by jailbreaking. I like having more than 4 icons on my dock, or more than 12 apps in a folder, or being able to double tap my status bar and close all running apps at once. Necessary? Absolutely not, but it's a personal preference. That's what the jailbreaking community is all about: Personal preferences. It's the same with the Android rooting community.

Don't call us all pirates and thieves. We're not. I have never and will never install ANYTHING that's pirated. Not a theme, not an icon, and definitely not an app.
    redbeard and robes1 like this.
    10-24-2011 11:02 AM
    To me, the issue of Siri being ported over is like putting a turbocharger on a VW bus. Will it work? Possibly, but why would you do it other than to say you did.

The new Siri was designed (or updated, as the case may be) specifically to work on the new dual core A5 chip that's in the 4S (and iPad 2, though it's not available there either to my knowledge). Initially it was thought to be hardware-locked to that chip, but that turned out to not be the case. Every test I've seen of Siri on the iPhone 4 has shown that it won't connect to the server. IF (and that's a big if) they can get around that, there's still no guarantee of it working properly.

I'd love to have a 4S (or even a 4), but sadly my budget won't allow it at this time. Will I run Siri on my device? No. I have enough issues with the 3GS as it is to worry about running something several generations newer than the hardware I have.

I am Jailbroken, and I'll tell you why: Customization. I wanted to add new notification sounds (now possible with iOS 5), but couldn't. Now I can. I like having my son giggle every time I get a text message, and I could do that by jailbreaking. I like having more than 4 icons on my dock, or more than 12 apps in a folder, or being able to double tap my status bar and close all running apps at once. Necessary? Absolutely not, but it's a personal preference. That's what the jailbreaking community is all about: Personal preferences. It's the same with the Android rooting community.

Don't call us all pirates and thieves. We're not. I have never and will never install ANYTHING that's pirated. Not a theme, not an icon, and definitely not an app.

I agree. My iPhone 4 was jailbroken since the release of the very first untethered jailbreak after it was release. I also never used pirated apps. Just because it's there doesn't mean that everyone is gonna grab it. It's like seeing the back of an armored car open with nobody around. Some would go for it. I would definitely not.
    10-24-2011 11:58 AM
    I just watched the video of an iPhone 4 running Siri! It looks worse than Android with all that lag! Why would you want that? Check it out: Siri voice command system ported from iPhone 4S to iPhone 4 (video) | 9to5Mac | Apple Intelligence
    10-24-2011 12:35 PM
    has anyone asked siri what she thinks about this?
    10-24-2011 12:37 PM
    has anyone asked siri what she thinks about this?
    I just asked her:

Me: Do you want to be on other phones?

Siri: I have everything I need already.

That's my girl!
    10-24-2011 12:41 PM
    Wasn't aware we had so many moralists here.
    redbeard and Genericmessage00 like this.
    10-24-2011 01:05 PM
    Were you aware that we had people who don't like to pay for things and then see other people steal it and use it for free?
    10-24-2011 01:09 PM
    I just asked her:

Me: Do you want to be on other phones?

Siri: I have everything I need already.

That's my girl!
    that's awesome
    10-24-2011 01:29 PM
    that's awesome
    I thought so too!
    10-24-2011 02:13 PM
    Were you aware that we had people who don't like to pay for things and then see other people steal it and use it for free?
    Yeah. My point is that you've probably (and still do) things to the equivalent of it in some form. Hence
    the moralist tag. I'm not saying pirating apps and using them is right. I'm just saying gimme a freaken
    break with the things being said here, man. My assuming what I referred to in my first sentence is the
    same that others are doing here in their assumptions that people that jailbreak do it for the "fact" that
    they can download pirated apps.
    Genericmessage00 and redbeard like this.
    10-24-2011 02:30 PM
    Yeah. My point is that you've probably (and still do) things to the equivalent of it in some form. Hence
    the moralist tag. I'm not saying pirating apps and using them is right. I'm just saying gimme a freaken
    break with the things being said here, man. My assuming what I referred to in my first sentence is the
    same that others are doing here in their assumptions that people that jailbreak do it for the "fact" that
    And I stand up for the jailbreakers too because I'm one myself. Not all jailbreakers steal.
    10-24-2011 02:35 PM
    You sure sound like your getting emotionally involved on this "issue". I for one will be putting siri on my iphone 4 when it becomes available. I dont want to limit my device of its functionality, especially if i can do something about it. You need the chill the f out man
    Genericmessage00 likes this.
    10-24-2011 09:00 PM
    Don't worry I'm totally relaxed! LOL! Because you'll never get it on the 4! MUAHHAHAHAAHAHAHA!
    Put the weed down bro!
    10-24-2011 09:46 PM
    I dont think that jailbreakers do it only for pirated apps but I think some do it for reasons that are illegal IE free tethering..
    10-24-2011 11:45 PM
    I think the JB community is small compared to the huge one of non-jailbraked.
    iOS devices have and good ratio between piracy and legal. I mean compared to other devices starting from (non-mobile) PC to Andriod. I think this is because of Apple prices politics . High price for the device and a doped app market with low prices. Who owns an iPad or iPhone can afford to buy (in most cases) instead of jailbreaking . Some people own an iPhone or iPad but can't afford it so they use jailbreaking for not paying more money.

Question: does anybody know what is happening on the chinese market. They download a lot for free but they never pay (iaps) or the full copy of a game ? What kind of telephone contracts do they have ?
    Is it true that most don't have a credit card ?
    10-25-2011 03:56 AM
    I've never heard about the credit card issue or the ration of free vs paid apps in china but they do
    Have a very different economy. China is another world compared to the US. Either way the piracy isn't keeping developers from making billions each year as a whole. I'm sure that I piracy was wiped out everywhere then you'd see larger payments to developers. Or maybe not. Maybe those same people just can't afford to pay for apps. This still doesn't make piracy ok though. I'm sure that plenty of Americans have moments when they have to wait to buy an app because their bank account won't allow it at the time. Some of the really good apps can be a little costly. Maybe Apple should invest in Chinese Police departments and send them after these sites and people. At the same time I can't help but notice the irony. These are the people that they choose to let build their phones. What happened to things being "Made in America"?! Is it right for them to support families over there with jobs instead of creating jobs here where they receive the strongest support? Maybe it's what they deserve. The only problem that I see with this is that it's the developers and not Apple who suffers most when apps are pirated.
    10-25-2011 08:00 AM
    I just watched the video of an iPhone 4 running Siri! It looks worse than Android with all that lag! Why would you want that? Check it out: Siri voice command system ported from iPhone 4S to iPhone 4 (video) | 9to5Mac | Apple Intelligence
    Apart from the fact, on the same link you posted, there is an updated video directly below showing Siri running on the iPhone 4 at the true speed. And since then there has been other videos showing ports to the iPhone 3GS, iPod Touch 3G, 4g and I believe even the iPad now! Try again.

All these video demonstrations prove to me that, older hardware is defnitely capable of running Siri... and you can speculate about server load all you want, but no one other than Apple knows exactly why they've prevented it.
    10-27-2011 05:59 AM
    I dont think that jailbreakers do it only for pirated apps but I think some do it for reasons that are illegal IE free tethering..

Free tethering is NOT illegal... its just against att policy...

Also... I've had a jailbroken phone since the first iPhone and never used pirated apps... got tons of cydia bought stuff

I think those who write software and wish that jail breaking would fall apart are dumb... lots of people have made good money off cydia and they're in the same business as you, why would you want them to fail.
    10-27-2011 06:08 AM
    This thread really still begs a question...

How do some of you get off that incredibly high horse without hurting yourselves? Or do you just stay on it permanently?

...oh well, don't let me get in the way of your hurled stones...carry on.
    10-27-2011 07:24 AM
    People talking about high horses are normally riding one themselves so thank you for coming down from Mount Olympus to judge people. LOL! And of course the judge seems to wonder why we would want to shine a light on stealing. How virtuous. And thanks for your permission. Everyone was holding their stones waiting for your words of BS! LOL!
    Back to the topics at hand:
    Jailbreaking isn't stealing. Adding video recording to a phone 3-4 years ago didn't call for the taking of money or services from anyone or possibly cause any servers to crash or call for the hacking of servers. Adding tethering to your phone only allowed you to use the data that you had already spent your money to use. And if you went over your limit then you had to pay for the additional data. I actually gave up my unlimited data plan and now have the 4GB tethering plan but the point remains the same. If you pay money for unlimited data then you should be able to use that however you please.
    Last edited by robes1; 10-27-2011 at 07:54 AM.
    10-27-2011 07:43 AM
    It's that same high horse that makes me return a lost wallet, or pay for a snack in the honor snack bar, or keeps me from walking out the door with an armload of groceries if the clerk is not at the counter at the 7-11...
    10-27-2011 07:45 AM
    People talking about high horses are normally riding one themselves so thank you for coming down from Mount Olympus to judge people. LOL! And of course the judge seems to wonder why we would want to shine a light on stealing. How virtuous. And thanks for your permission. Everyone was holding their stones waiting for your words of BS! LOL!
    Back to the topics at hand:
    Jailbreaking isn't stealing. Adding video recording to a phone 3-4 years ago didn't call for the taking of money or services from anyone or possibly cause any servers to crash or call for the hacking of servers. Adding tethering to your phone only allowed you to use the data that you had already spent your money to use. And if you went over your limit then you had to pay for the additional data. I actually gave up my unlimited data plan and now have the 4GB tethering plan but the point remains the same. If you pay money for unlimited data then you should be able to use that however you please.
    Careful there, your crusade on ethics is taking a turn for the worse here.

Hacking video recording on there provided a feature Apple intended it's users who UPGRADED phones to have. Since many could get video recording in this manner, they didn't see a need to give apple more money.

Adding tethering is stealing from your carrier or at the very least having a negative impact on other users who paid for it as you slurp more data. The very crux of your Siri argument.

Bottom line, you value Siri. This only angers you because you think it affects you. You can't take the moral high ground here while looking the other way on things that don't affect you. That's the drawback of riding the high horse.
    10-27-2011 08:27 AM
    You guys are talking about jail breaking but with morals. That's hilarious. Break everything that Apple stands for (a restricted environment) and then standing atop your high horse and complain. Sure that's completely understandable.
    10-27-2011 08:40 AM
114 12345
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD