Verizon And "Upgrading"

guthrien

Oct 23, 2011
Visit site
If this is a very silly question, I apologize in advance. The iPhone 4S is my very first non-basic phone and I've never dealt much with my carrier beyond basic bill issues. Anyhow, heavy iPad user love the iPhone just as much, however...

If I were to go to my local Verizon store (upgraded my phone at Verizon Online) and tell them I love the iPhone, I want to change nothing except will you swap me out for a larger (64gb size) iPhone with all the costs, etc. Is there any chance they would do such a thing? Maybe every store is different, but I'm just wondering if that is within the realm of possibility in anyone's experience. There is some mention in the paperwork about me being within a return time and having one phone exchange on my plan, etc.

I have the 16gb and while I think I could get along with it, I'd like to get a larger one if possible.

Thanks for any input. I'll follow up with my store but it would be helpful to have some input from others going in.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I have never heard of someone successfully doing this...and have read of many people who either wanted to try or did try and never came back with success stories. It couldn't hurt to ask as the worst they could do is say no, but honestly...i wouldn't hold your breath.

You MIGHT be able to pull it off using the 30 day "trial" period (if Verizon offers such)...

jcrackbert

Oct 23, 2011
Visit site
Since you are within 14 days of purchase, I think the worst case would be a $35 restocking fee to return your current phone. Let us know how it goes.

B

bonesb

You bought your phone online, you'll need to exchange your phone online. Just about any corporate VZW store will be as brusque as I am here. As jberto pointed out, if you're within the 14 day period you're entitled to one swap or to terminate your contract. The local corporate stores will direct you to CS, even if you bought the phone locally although you'd likely get the swap. Buying it online will get you no love from the brick-and-mortar stores, they didn't make any commission...

guthrien

Oct 23, 2011
Visit site
I will thx. It seems like something they would obviously want to discourage, but since I just want to give them more money maybe they'll be helpful.

You bought your phone online, you'll need to exchange your phone online. Just about any corporate VZW store will be as brusque as I am here. As jberto pointed out, if you're within the 14 day period you're entitled to one swap or to terminate your contract. The local corporate stores will direct you to CS, even if you bought the phone locally although you'd likely get the swap. Buying it online will get you no love from the brick-and-mortar stores, they didn't make any commission...

That's quite alright, I'm looking for honest feedback and it's appreciated. I was honestly not aware of how franchised out the Verizon stores were, and whether they would erect a wall between them and the online division. That's helpful, maybe I should barter with the operator.

Last edited:

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
If this is a very silly question, I apologize in advance. The iPhone 4S is my very first non-basic phone and I've never dealt much with my carrier beyond basic bill issues. Anyhow, heavy iPad user love the iPhone just as much, however...

If I were to go to my local Verizon store (upgraded my phone at Verizon Online) and tell them I love the iPhone, I want to change nothing except will you swap me out for a larger (64gb size) iPhone with all the costs, etc. Is there any chance they would do such a thing? Maybe every store is different, but I'm just wondering if that is within the realm of possibility in anyone's experience. There is some mention in the paperwork about me being within a return time and having one phone exchange on my plan, etc.

I have the 16gb and while I think I could get along with it, I'd like to get a larger one if possible.

Thanks for any input. I'll follow up with my store but it would be helpful to have some input from others going in.

If you've had the 16GB for less than 14 days, you are within the 'worry free guarantee' window and can exchange... you'll have to pay a restocking fee, and then make up the price difference between what you paid vs what the 64GB.

imwjl

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
Since you are within 14 days of purchase, I think the worst case would be a $35 restocking fee to return your current phone. Let us know how it goes.

Yes. I've had my users and a family member do 4S or different version of 4S exchanges with those terms. One bought 4 a week before the 4S release and exchanged for 4S. Others exchanged for different colors or memory. All paid the restock fee.

The back order status and quality of rep if you call customer service has mattered for some of these people. Some have had to do a return while they wait for inventory.

0pusX

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I ordered an HTC Rhyme for my wife online, after using it she decides she wanted the iPhone instead and we took it into our local store and did the exchange. Had to pay $35 restocking fee is all.

guthrien

Oct 23, 2011
Visit site
Well so far my primary problem with this plan is that no Verizon store in my area has a single iPhone in stock. Of any size. And they are being completely overrun with requests so the places I've been to seem tired of talking about it. I live in a decently sized metro area so maybe supplies will replenish or maybe I can live with a problem that's not that big.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox