The Official Black vs. White: iPhone Camera flash Battle!

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
There seems to be some question around the iPhone world concerning the quality of the pictures taken from the iPhone 4S WITH FLASH between the white iPhones and the black iPhones...so i figured i'd make a kind of "Official Thread" for comparison shots and discussions concerning such...

Here's Round 1...(TV was on, but provided almost zero surround lighting)

Black iPhone 4S...

399084099.jpg

White iPhone 4S...

399084096.jpg

...as you can see, the differences are fairly visible. The white iPhone certainly has a more "washed" look, black remote is not nearly as crisp or "black", and the light over the surface of the picture seems much less natural than the black iPhone's picture.

This echoes the complaints I've been reading around the web (and here)...so let's get some more comparison shots going, and I'll add some more later (wife's phone is currently charging and i don't want to mess with it).

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
My wife said that given she never uses the flash, she wasn't concerned about the differences in quality...but did say she was a bit shocked Apple released it with this quite apparent issue.

ame

Trusted Member
Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
FASCINATING. I stick with black but now I am extra glad I go black. I don't care for that difference at all.

anon(4144202)

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Oh never mind. I noticed on cases that has a trim around the camera and not a hole I get pics that looks like your wife's picture (or worse). But neither of those cases would have those problems with a flash. I agree with your wife's statement. It's surprising apple would let that slide. I did hear that was the delay with the white one though. I guess that was the best they could do

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
I actually think the white looks better... Looks like it will better combat the yellowness that occurs in most flash photos.

Duvi

Jun 17, 2008
Visit site
I see the difference, but neither are "bad" to me.

I guess we'd have to see other pics... maybe of more colorful backgrounds?

Guacho

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
Going back and checking all my iphone pictures in my portable hard drive about 98% of them were taken without flash so this is not a deal breaker to me, having said that I would like to see more shots with both iphones ( without any case on ) in different situations..

Motorbones

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
I have a black phone while my wife's is white. The camera is important to her so I'm gonna keep my mouth shut on this one. Never rain on the parade with the one you love...

Appleshampoo

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
I have the white 4S and my pictures look fantastic. I almost never use flash, I prefer natural lighting whenever possible.

This is exactly how I feel. Natural light always trumps a crappy phone flash.

I understand that my phone should be capable of doing its job but I already gave up on flash pics when I bought a white case that makes the wash out even worse.

I am glad someone pointed out the difference though for those curious.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2