I guess I didn't realize iPhone doesn't support flash.....is it really that big of a deal?? Other than websites using it, what else will I miss out not having flash in my iPhone compared to my Android?
    10-22-2011 04:00 PM
    What's flash?! LOL! That's how big of a deal! Any site worth going to has an iPhone friendly version now. Even the little ones.
    10-22-2011 04:07 PM
    I second that. The majority of sites have iPhone versions, and those most frequented (twitter, facebook, chase, bank of america, the Chive, etc) all have their own apps anyway.
    10-22-2011 04:12 PM
    I've said this before, if the R&D department at Apple thought flash was necessary, they would have put it in iOS. It's not that big a deal.
    10-22-2011 04:36 PM
    People who whine about not having flash just need something to cry about. I don't even really surf the web to much as all the content I enjoy I get through apps.

Sent from my iPhone communication device using Tapatalk
    10-22-2011 04:59 PM
    I've never noticed it to be honest. Everything I've tried to do has just worked. And that's why I love my iPhone.
    10-22-2011 05:05 PM
    I had a Droid with it, and it was a huge drain on the battery, not to mention flash is annoying as hell as it is. I don't like it on my computer so on my phone it was incredibly obnoxious. I don't miss it.
    10-22-2011 05:06 PM
    If they implemented flash on a phone in such a way that it actually worked instead of worked half the time, it might mean something. Otherwise, no. I've seen it on my old Droid, Droid X, and on my friend's Thunderbolt. I have yet to see an actual flash website work without massive lag, battery drain, or goofy interface problems. Flash websites, for the most part, just aren't designed for a mobile setting and touch screen input.
    10-22-2011 05:20 PM
    I've also never noticed. Once in a blue moon an embedded video won't play but 9 times out of 10 it will or is available elsewhere in an iPhone friendly format

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    10-22-2011 05:26 PM
    it has ZERO affect on me
    10-22-2011 05:40 PM
    I don't miss it at all. I had it on my Moto Atrix and SGS when I made the mistake of trying Android. It was slow, drank battery and didn't even work properly half the time.

Beamed over the interwebz from my iPhone 4S using Siri.
    10-22-2011 06:09 PM
    It's not a big deal at all... Haven't visited a site that didn't update it for iOS.

Sites like ESPN and NYT updated their sites to support HTML5. There are several, but those are the main ones. We also have apps!

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk
    10-22-2011 07:10 PM
    I had it on my Droid X and don't miss it. You can also download Skyfire browser from the app store if flash is that important for you.
    10-22-2011 07:53 PM
    I used to think that I wanted it. I had a nexus one that eventually got it. I ended up hating it
    10-22-2011 07:58 PM
    From what i understand...Flash is coming to iOS devices, to appease those that just can't live without it, for whatever reason they have, lol.
    10-22-2011 08:44 PM
    From what i understand...Flash is coming to iOS devices, to appease those that just can't live without it, for whatever reason they have, lol.
    It won't be through Apple and I haven't read in to it much (as I could care less about flash... lol), but I believe I saw something about devs needing to pay for it.

Adobe Flash Media Server 4.5
    10-22-2011 09:30 PM
    I run into the limitation every now and then...but nothing to stop me.
    10-22-2011 09:33 PM
    flash is no big deal
    10-22-2011 10:06 PM
    I thought I remember reading somewhere that adobe was working on a flash to HTML 5 conversion software. Think was called adobe edge or something like that.
    10-22-2011 11:01 PM
    Apple iPads and iPhones finally get Flash video | Mobile Devices | ZDNet UK

On Thursday, Adobe released Flash Media Server 4.5, which introduces support for Apple's iOS mobile operating system. It does this by letting broadcasters stream Flash-based video content in an Apple-derived format, HTTP Live Streaming (HLS).

Apple's iPhone and other mobile devices are well known for not supporting Flash, so in April Adobe said it had come up with a workaround.

Flash Media Server usually packages video streams using MPEG4 fragments, in the F4F file format. However, the new version adds support for a different protocol, HLS, which Apple created for QuickTime and iOS.

Where the media server system detects a lack of Flash support on the client device, it delivers the content in an MPEG2 stream, using the HLS format. HTML 5-capable browsers also support HLS, so using it makes it easier for broadcasters to reach a wider audience.

The end result is that Flash-based video content can now be delivered to iOS devices by using Apple's technology, in a way that requires almost no extra effort on the part of the publisher. Microsoft has been doing the same thing to get Silverlight-based content onto Apple mobile devices since 2009.

However, the advent of Flash Media Server 4.5 only enables Flash video streaming to iPhones and iPads. Flash-based games, animations and advertisements will still not work on such devices.
    10-22-2011 11:15 PM
    I guess I didn't realize iPhone doesn't support flash.....is it really that big of a deal??
    Depends on who you ask. You have to answer that question for yourself. How much do you rely on Flash? Not a big deal for me. YMMV as it's one of those many highly subjective questions that people seem to treat as objective for some reason.

If they implemented flash on a phone in such a way that it actually worked instead of worked half the time, it might mean something.
    It's not a implementation problem. The problem is Flash itself. For reasons already stated in this thread I tried Flash on my Droid and immediately ditched it without ever looking back. It's a resource hog even on a computer.
    Last edited by briareus; 10-23-2011 at 01:28 AM.
    10-23-2011 01:24 AM
    When I had my SGSII flash worked really well. It wasn't clunky like on older devices. But it didn't provide any specific function for me though. I haven't thought that it was a big deal. I'm very happy with the browsing experience on my iPhone.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk
    10-23-2011 01:46 AM
    Rarely miss it. Once in awhile it is annoying to not see a video. Most sites have adapted to not use flash video exclusively.
    10-23-2011 09:28 AM
    It's really not a big of deal to me, just as said, the majority of sites have iPhone versions, and many have their own apps, what's more now the HTML5 is popular, many website are in HTML5 version.
    The flash makes annoy, always need to upgrade the plugin, I don't miss it
    10-25-2011 10:08 PM
    not a big deal at all to me
    10-26-2011 12:11 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD