FYI, ios5 allows you to download apps larger than 20mb over 3G.

MustangLife

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
Well for years, I've had to jailbreak and use 3g unrestrictor, my 3g, etc to download apps,etc over 20mb's because there was always a requirement to use wifi to download apps over 20mb. I just noticed under Settings - Store - Toggle Cellular Data on Use Cellular Network to download purchases. By default this toggle only under settings - store is turned off by default. This is not the same cellular data toggle under Settings - General - Cellular Data on or off. So guys go into your settings and select store and toggle cellular data on. I just downloaded a 150 mb app on my Iphone4S which we all know can't be jailbroken over 3G to confirm.

I don't think alot of people realize how many options ios5 gave us and just assume that all the way up to ios 4.3.5 you could never download apps over 20mb over 3G without Wifi.

Hope this helps some of you frustrated that don't have easy wifi access.

Josh

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
This may not be a good thing for people who are limited on data usage...which is why i thought they implemented the restriction in the first place. I personally am glad it is changed now, but i hope people pay attention when they go and do batch app store update, they may be sucking up all their months worth of data over a massive (i say massive, lol...20MB massive :p ) app download/update.

jon01

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
i think the 20mb limit over 3g was removed from downloading podcasts and stuff. im trying to now, it says preparing for download. its been a bit though and it hasnt started :(

IamHahn

Aug 26, 2011
Visit site
Now what we need next is FaceTime over 3G.

Would FaceTime look okay over a 3G connection? It is very impressive when on a good WiFi connection, but maybe Apple's caveat to 3G FaceTime is they don't want their video chatting app to look crappy. I'd like to see what FT looks like on 3G,if it wasn't horrible I deffinetely agree.

EDIT:

This may not be a good thing for people who are limited on data usage...which is why i thought they implemented the restriction in the first place. I personally am glad it is changed now, but i hope people pay attention when they go and do batch app store update, they may be sucking up all their months worth of data over a massive (i say massive, lol...20MB massive :p ) app download/update.

I really think the limits were more for the Carriers/Apple than the consumer.

Last edited:

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
Mine is on but it still does not download an app over 20MB. Can anyone else verify this besides the OP. If not it seems to be a fluke. The switch seems more for iTunes match and to automatically download smaller apps via 3G. At least that is what the text says under the switch.

rewNATION

Banned
Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
can i download big size apps through iTunes on my computer so it will d/l faster and then plug in my iPhone and sync over the app so I don't have to do it all through my phone?

sdakidd

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
i have a iphone 4s on att and this does not seem to work for me. I went to genereal > network and made sure the toggle was on. It didnt work for me, any tips?

anon(5335877)

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
Would FaceTime look okay over a 3G connection? It is very impressive when on a good WiFi connection, but maybe Apple's caveat to 3G FaceTime is they don't want their video chatting app to look crappy. I'd like to see what FT looks like on 3G,if it wasn't horrible I deffinetely agree.

I guess so, since it's allowed in iOS 5, I just don't think any US carrier has enabled it.

KCook3

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
i have a iphone 4s on att and this does not seem to work for me. I went to genereal > network and made sure the toggle was on. It didnt work for me, any tips?

I couldn't get it to work either, had to large apps, had to wait till I had a good WIFI signal.

KC

IIJBII

Jul 24, 2004
Visit site
I couldn't get it to work either, had to large apps, had to wait till I had a good WIFI signal.

KC

Same here. Ive changed the option and it still won't work with large apps on the wireless network. I has to wait until I connect to my computer or wifi.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2