...I've spent a lot of time searching but cannot find the answer I'm looking for. Simply, is there a way to get status bar notifications for email, text messages, voice mail, etc, without jailbreaking?

I was so reliant on it in my Droid Incredible (without even realizing it) I'm having a very difficult time adjusting.

I also miss my native Gmail, but that's another topic...

Thanks,
    Chris
    tinkerpsu likes this.
    10-20-2011 02:25 PM
    You have to jailbreak for that. But you do have quick access by pulling down on the notification center

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    10-20-2011 02:31 PM
    For Gmail you can either setup an account in the iphone mail client (which is pretty poor) or download Google Search which has Gmail built in via a web interface, which is pretty good.
    10-20-2011 03:03 PM
    i never realized.... your right! there are no status bar notifications.. why would apple at least add mail/sms/missed call in the bar.

bah... oh well
    10-20-2011 03:12 PM
    You can open notification center by swiping down from the top of the screen and see a list of missed notifications. Otherwise badges appear on the app icons if you have them enabled. You can customize how you see notifications in the settings.

For gmail I would recommend setting it up via MS Exchange called Google Sync. You will get push email, contacts, and calenders. Just search "Google Sync for iPhone".
    10-20-2011 03:41 PM
    You have to jailbreak for that. But you do have quick access by pulling down on the notification center

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Do you know what jailbreak app or apps provide this? I too would very much like this feature.

Thanks!
    10-20-2011 03:55 PM
    To go from a blinking green light on an EVO to a pop up notification with text telling me what the notification is for, in THE LOCK SCREEN, is an improvement for me. I'm glad there is no blinking green light on the iPhone 4S.
    10-20-2011 03:57 PM
    I kind of miss a blinking light to know that there is something new. But love the slide down notification bar and the information it has much more than the Driod.
    10-20-2011 04:07 PM
    I kind of miss a blinking light to know that there is something new. But love the slide down notification bar and the information it has much more than the Driod.
    I miss the blinking light..I just missed a text message from my girlfriend..Almost an hour late.
    10-20-2011 05:13 PM
    Do you know what jailbreak app or apps provide this? I too would very much like this feature.

Thanks!
    LockInfo and BiteSMS are the big ones.
    10-20-2011 05:14 PM
    I miss the blinking light..I just missed a text message from my girlfriend..Almost an hour late.
    That's why you set the notification for SMS to repeat!
    10-20-2011 05:59 PM
    I think that I must be missing something. The pull down notification center that comes on a 4S isn't what you're talking about? I think that it was the exact same thing that was going on with my Evo when I had it. It includes text, email, CNN updates, even Instagram and Facebook. And it has the weather and stock updates. How is this in anyway less than what you got with Android?
    10-20-2011 06:23 PM
    It was I think once though hahah..But i always keep a look out for the blink.
    10-20-2011 06:56 PM

Thanks!
    from what I understand, the 4s has yet to be jailbroke (is that a word?)... but i'm sure it will happen sooner or later - ) I hope.
    10-20-2011 10:01 PM
    I have my SMS to repeat but it is not working. I only get a single notification.
    10-20-2011 10:22 PM
    like robes1 said im not sure what you are missing from the notification bar that android has that ios5 doesnt. it seems like ios5 has everything that android does. i'm coming from the Evo 4g and i see pretty much everthing thing there plus more as you can dismiss each notification individually.
    10-21-2011 11:22 AM
    like robes1 said im not sure what you are missing from the notification bar that android has that ios5 doesnt. it seems like ios5 has everything that android does. i'm coming from the Evo 4g and i see pretty much everthing thing there plus more as you can dismiss each notification individually.
    I personally miss the icons. The notification pull-down and the notification center in general on the iPhone is fine, and in some ways better than Android, especially the lock screen. But I want those icons there in the notification Bar at the Top itself.

Why? Because if I have 3 different notifications on the lockscreen, (1 for mail, 1 for facebook, 1 for twitter) and I go into ONE of them, then lock my phone...then next time I see the lockscreen, there is nothing there. The facebook and twitter notifications no longer show on the lockscreen. They DO still show in the notification center, but not on the lockscreen. If I had the icons in the notification bar at the top, I could easily remember that I have 2 notifications left waiting for me. I think Apple missed the boat on that one. Not sure why the lockscreen 'resets' after you access one of the notifications. At least give us an option to not do that.
    10-21-2011 12:54 PM
    Because there is NOTHING to tell you about notifications that are up there unless your badges are on your main screen. An icon at the top would be nice instead of having to constantly look up there to see whats there......it's great and copies android and does it better....except its missing a notification that there are pending notifications.
    10-21-2011 06:44 PM
    i had girlfriend that text and text. needless to say i sent her back to her playpen lol
    10-22-2011 02:35 PM
    ...I've spent a lot of time searching but cannot find the answer I'm looking for. Simply, is there a way to get status bar notifications for email, text messages, voice mail, etc, without jailbreaking?
    If you can't or don't want to jailbreak, the most common workaround is to put your most commonly used communication apps in the dock so that they are always visible. Make sure you have badges turned on and just keep an eye open for them. You can then open them directly or pull down notifications centre for a quick summary.

If you go into settings, you can also set the notifications to appear on the lockscreen, so that you can just hit the home button and have the notifications show when the screen lights up.

For the most part, you can get the same functionality, it's just presented a little differently.
    10-22-2011 10:28 PM
    It was I think once though hahah..But i always keep a look out for the blink.
    There is an option where u can set the led flash to blink when there is a notification.

Settings>General>Accessibility and there is a toggle for led flash alerts.

Have fun!
    10-22-2011 10:49 PM
    The iPhone notification system seems to be sufficient. The Android system with the LED light is nice, but it also lacks badges which I like. They are about the same to me.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk
    10-23-2011 02:05 AM
    I expect that Notification Center will be expanded upon in iOS 6... Until then, it's jailbreak for you. lol
    10-23-2011 03:09 AM
    I personally miss the icons. The notification pull-down and the notification center in general on the iPhone is fine, and in some ways better than Android, especially the lock screen. But I want those icons there in the notification Bar at the Top itself.

Why? Because if I have 3 different notifications on the lockscreen, (1 for mail, 1 for facebook, 1 for twitter) and I go into ONE of them, then lock my phone...then next time I see the lockscreen, there is nothing there. The facebook and twitter notifications no longer show on the lockscreen. They DO still show in the notification center, but not on the lockscreen. If I had the icons in the notification bar at the top, I could easily remember that I have 2 notifications left waiting for me. I think Apple missed the boat on that one. Not sure why the lockscreen 'resets' after you access one of the notifications. At least give us an option to not do that.
    EXACTLY. This is the main reason I still jailbreak--that after all the thought and work that went into the new notification system, I'm still very often forced to unlock my phone to see new notifications. The new lock screen system is, for me, pretty useless, precisely because it clears all notification whenever one is dealt with. I understand what Apple is going for there, but it's simply not the way I use my phone--I much prefer to have an at-a-glance summary from the lockscreen.

So for that, I highly recommend LockInfo, or checking out the upcoming IntelliScreenX. I'm using LockInfo and have statusbar icons for new mail, SMS, notifications, voicemail, missed calls, and more. As a bonus, the current version also integrates SBSettings and the native Notification Center widgets. (The developer is currently working to integrate the entire app as a plugin into the native Notification Center.) To get it you have to be jailbroken; then add the LockInfo beta repo to your Cydia sources: http://apt.dba-technologies.com/beta/

Hope that helps! I promise you, LockInfo will change how you use your phone forever.
    10-23-2011 09:15 AM
    The lock screen should be notification enough. The notification bar as well. I actually hated the clutter of my notification bar on my android.
    10-23-2011 07:26 PM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD