Android to 4S - Miss Status Bar Notifications...

Freshy

Oct 20, 2011
Visit site
...I've spent a lot of time searching but cannot find the answer I'm looking for. Simply, is there a way to get status bar notifications for email, text messages, voice mail, etc, without jailbreaking?

I was so reliant on it in my Droid Incredible (without even realizing it) I'm having a very difficult time adjusting.

I also miss my native Gmail, but that's another topic...

Thanks,
Chris

Hoagie5252

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
You have to jailbreak for that. But you do have quick access by pulling down on the notification center

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

alphasportstv

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
For Gmail you can either setup an account in the iphone mail client (which is pretty poor) or download Google Search which has Gmail built in via a web interface, which is pretty good.

StaticFX

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
i never realized.... your right! there are no status bar notifications.. why would apple at least add mail/sms/missed call in the bar.

bah... oh well :)

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
You can open notification center by swiping down from the top of the screen and see a list of missed notifications. Otherwise badges appear on the app icons if you have them enabled. You can customize how you see notifications in the settings.

For gmail I would recommend setting it up via MS Exchange called Google Sync. You will get push email, contacts, and calenders. Just search "Google Sync for iPhone".

Dark_Blu

Jun 6, 2011
Visit site
To go from a blinking green light on an EVO to a pop up notification with text telling me what the notification is for, in THE LOCK SCREEN, is an improvement for me. I'm glad there is no blinking green light on the iPhone 4S.

jsigler

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
I kind of miss a blinking light to know that there is something new. But love the slide down notification bar and the information it has much more than the Driod.

06FG2

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
I kind of miss a blinking light to know that there is something new. But love the slide down notification bar and the information it has much more than the Driod.

I miss the blinking light..I just missed a text message from my girlfriend..Almost an hour late.

robes1

May 31, 2009
Visit site
I think that I must be missing something. The pull down notification center that comes on a 4S isn't what you're talking about? I think that it was the exact same thing that was going on with my Evo when I had it. It includes text, email, CNN updates, even Instagram and Facebook. And it has the weather and stock updates. How is this in anyway less than what you got with Android?

Rockdog97

Oct 14, 2011
Visit site
Do you know what jailbreak app or apps provide this? I too would very much like this feature.

Thanks!

from what I understand, the 4s has yet to be jailbroke (is that a word?)... but i'm sure it will happen sooner or later - ) I hope.

le_seus

Jun 6, 2011
Visit site
like robes1 said im not sure what you are missing from the notification bar that android has that ios5 doesnt. it seems like ios5 has everything that android does. i'm coming from the Evo 4g and i see pretty much everthing thing there plus more as you can dismiss each notification individually.

templetonryecy

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
like robes1 said im not sure what you are missing from the notification bar that android has that ios5 doesnt. it seems like ios5 has everything that android does. i'm coming from the Evo 4g and i see pretty much everthing thing there plus more as you can dismiss each notification individually.

I personally miss the icons. The notification pull-down and the notification center in general on the iPhone is fine, and in some ways better than Android, especially the lock screen. But I want those icons there in the notification Bar at the Top itself.

Why? Because if I have 3 different notifications on the lockscreen, (1 for mail, 1 for facebook, 1 for twitter) and I go into ONE of them, then lock my phone...then next time I see the lockscreen, there is nothing there. The facebook and twitter notifications no longer show on the lockscreen. They DO still show in the notification center, but not on the lockscreen. If I had the icons in the notification bar at the top, I could easily remember that I have 2 notifications left waiting for me. I think Apple missed the boat on that one. Not sure why the lockscreen 'resets' after you access one of the notifications. At least give us an option to not do that.

timberga

Jun 24, 2009
Visit site

Because there is NOTHING to tell you about notifications that are up there unless your badges are on your main screen. An icon at the top would be nice instead of having to constantly look up there to see whats there......it's great and copies android and does it better....except its missing a notification that there are pending notifications.

Invid

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
...I've spent a lot of time searching but cannot find the answer I'm looking for. Simply, is there a way to get status bar notifications for email, text messages, voice mail, etc, without jailbreaking?
If you can't or don't want to jailbreak, the most common workaround is to put your most commonly used communication apps in the dock so that they are always visible. Make sure you have badges turned on and just keep an eye open for them. You can then open them directly or pull down notifications centre for a quick summary.

If you go into settings, you can also set the notifications to appear on the lockscreen, so that you can just hit the home button and have the notifications show when the screen lights up.

For the most part, you can get the same functionality, it's just presented a little differently.