Blackberry to iPhone

jlp916

Oct 16, 2011
Visit site
I was also a BB user for the past 4+ years and I never thought I would leave BB but made the jump a week ago and have no regrets. I was worried about email because of work but the Exchange actually works better for me on the iPhone. I'm enjoying having access to just about any app out there as opposed to the limited selections on BB. Plus I thought I would miss my color coded LED notification since I used BeBuzz but honestly I think that thing was making me neurotic :eek: I love the simple pop-ups and alerts on the iPhone.

My hubby is still using BB and was planning to go Android but I think he might be considering the iPhone too :D

BBtoiPhone

Oct 20, 2011
Visit site
I too will be making the switch in a month, after years as a BB user! BB has lost its focus and I should have done this last year. My MAJOR question however concerns Outlook and syncing! I have read this "forum" for sometime now and still don't feel there is an efficient way to sync without issues (dupilicates, etc). Am I wrong? I need "contacts, calendar, tasks, notes". Is USB thru iTunes they most reliable way? the iCloud feature seems "iffy". Thanks in advance for any help!

This was also my main concern switching to the iPhone! My experience so far has been far supirior with the exchange set up on the iPhone than the BES on the BlackBerry. I have had zero problems with the iPhone and syncing to outlook.

I have spent the last 4 or 5 days really trying to set up my phone and getting everything placed where I want.. I have to say that I am completley blown away by what this phone is truly capable of. Coming from the BB, where apps are pretty much non-existant, I was shocked to see all the different types of apps that are available for the iPhone, some useless, but some very very helpful!

The only downside that I have found is that the speaker phone on the iPhone isn't as loud as the bb.

I do miss BBM, but not enough to ever think about going back!

I have been reading the forums like crazy and its amazing how much knowledge and useful information is on here.. I am so glad to see that there arent dozens and dozens of trolls lurking like there were on the crackberrydotcom!

StaticFX

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
i jumped into this boat as well... dumped my Storm2 for the iP4s - beyond thrilled.
There are a few things i miss from my BB but they are not deal breakers. Just the apps alone... woah.

I found an app called AppShopper that lets you filter and find apps that are now free (price drop) or new apps ..etc... so nice! I have found some cool apps!

Hooked on a few games as well

Nuts
Cut the Rope
Rope Rescue
Angry Birds (runs so much better than it did on my iPod Touch 2G!)

the Tivo app is AWESOME!! I can link right into the tivo on my network and change channels, record stuff, search.. so nice!

THE PICTURES ON THIS PHONE ARE STUNNING!!!

cant say enough.. very happy with this phone

(So is the wife.. she also switch from the bb storm2 and loves hers too!)

durbin

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
Does anyone know how long a full jailbreak might take for the iphone 4s.....hoping to have some great theme makers working soon - yes you StaticFX

leharris22

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
This thread has been really insightful. I'm a BB user but next year I'm thinking of upgrading when 4G devices (hopefully) are released. Don't know if I'll go with a BBX or iPhone, but this thread has alleviated alot of my concerns about iPhone. Thanks everyone!

Last edited:

StaticFX

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
Does anyone know how long a full jailbreak might take for the iphone 4s.....hoping to have some great theme makers working soon - yes you StaticFX

lol...hmmm.. It has been a LOOONG time since I have done a iphone/ipod touch theme. but i may do a few for fun and see if anybody is nice enough to donate. :)

peege

Apr 25, 2011
Visit site
This was also my main concern switching to the iPhone! My experience so far has been far supirior with the exchange set up on the iPhone than the BES on the BlackBerry. I have had zero problems with the iPhone and syncing to outlook.

I have spent the last 4 or 5 days really trying to set up my phone and getting everything placed where I want.. I have to say that I am completley blown away by what this phone is truly capable of. Coming from the BB, where apps are pretty much non-existant, I was shocked to see all the different types of apps that are available for the iPhone, some useless, but some very very helpful!

The only downside that I have found is that the speaker phone on the iPhone isn't as loud as the bb.

I do miss BBM, but not enough to ever think about going back!

I have been reading the forums like crazy and its amazing how much knowledge and useful information is on here.. I am so glad to see that there arent dozens and dozens of trolls lurking like there were on the crackberrydotcom!

Please share how you sync to Outlook with "zero problems" Are you using Google sync as an exchange account, or a third party app. Thanks in advance, I do appreciate your help!

BBtoiPhone

Oct 20, 2011
Visit site
Please share how you sync to Outlook with "zero problems" Are you using Google sync as an exchange account, or a third party app. Thanks in advance, I do appreciate your help!

I am using Microsoft Exchange. The company I work for has in-house 2010 Microsoft Exchange Servers. I thought it was going to be a nightmare so I had someone from the IT department come help me, but he didnt do anything. (He just watched me incase there were problems). I typed in my email and password, waited about 5 minutes and the next thing I knew all my contacts, emails, tasks, reminders, ect synced flawlessly. I was couldnt believe how easy it was (Nor could my IT guy, he is use to dealing with BES (Blackberry Enterprise Server) problems all day long).

Maybe setting up other types of exchange, such as the google sync are more complicated, but when using Microsoft Exchange, it's very easy.

peege

Apr 25, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the quick response! I think that may be the case. From all that I have read and "searched", Google Sync as an exchange account will come close, but doesn't directly sync with Outlook.

durbin

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
I should be getting my iphone 4s on Wednesday and hope to have it set up on Thursday. Our office runs BES too, but only for email and calendar. Right now I sync tasks and memo's to the Blackberry manually using desktop manager.
I hope to have the same set up on the iphone, BES for email and calendar but i-tunes for memo and task, the people I spoke to at apple thought it should work.
I'll post my findings when i'm all set up and have had a day or two to play with it.

jlp916

Oct 16, 2011
Visit site
I am using Microsoft Exchange. The company I work for has in-house 2010 Microsoft Exchange Servers. I thought it was going to be a nightmare so I had someone from the IT department come help me, but he didnt do anything. (He just watched me incase there were problems). I typed in my email and password, waited about 5 minutes and the next thing I knew all my contacts, emails, tasks, reminders, ect synced flawlessly. I was couldnt believe how easy it was (Nor could my IT guy, he is use to dealing with BES (Blackberry Enterprise Server) problems all day long).

Maybe setting up other types of exchange, such as the google sync are more complicated, but when using Microsoft Exchange, it's very easy.

This was the same for me. I was really concerned but my work Outlook account (and Exchange on the iPhone) actually is working better for me than on my BB. I actually get the emails as soon as they hit my desktop plus I have the calendar entries set to update via the Exchange as well which I couldn't get set up (without using something like Google Sync) on my BB.

noaim

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
I should be getting my iphone 4s on Wednesday and hope to have it set up on Thursday. Our office runs BES too, but only for email and calendar. Right now I sync tasks and memo's to the Blackberry manually using desktop manager.
I hope to have the same set up on the iphone, BES for email and calendar but i-tunes for memo and task, the people I spoke to at apple thought it should work.
I'll post my findings when i'm all set up and have had a day or two to play with it.

only blackberrys use bes thats a blackberry only thing sorry your going to have to get your mail and calendar using exchange at work if they offer it

itsthemaiaa

Jul 17, 2011
Visit site
I've been a long time blackberry abuser, and decided to jump ship to an iphone :) i will be getting my iphone on Friday and I am excited and nervous at the same time!

StaticFX

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
I've been a long time blackberry abuser, and decided to jump ship to an iphone :) i will be getting my iphone on Friday and I am excited and nervous at the same time!

dont be.. you will love it. Yes there are a few things you will miss, but overall, you will LOVE IT!!

BBtoiPhone

Oct 20, 2011
Visit site

Don't be! I was a BB user for 7+ years and the switch to the iPhone was so easy it didn't feel real. The only thing that took me a little while to get use to was the virtual keyboard and no BBM, but other than that it was a breeze! Hope your experience is as wonderful as mine has been. Good Luck!

GingerSnapsBack

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
Don't be! I was a BB user for 7+ years and the switch to the iPhone was so easy it didn't feel real. The only thing that took me a little while to get use to was the virtual keyboard and no BBM, but other than that it was a breeze! Hope your experience is as wonderful as mine has been. Good Luck!

If you miss BBM, have your contacts sign up for an account with GroupMe. It goes through your SMS texts. I was a mod in a BBM group, but I'm about to jump ship for iPhone and one of the other mods jumped ship to Android. A few of us signed up for GroupMe and each group is assigned a phone number. You text that number and it goes to all members of the group. You can use the app or you can have it delivered via SMS.

BBM was one of the only reasons I was staying until I found that.

noaim

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
ive owned three blackberrys in my life and I was an addict at one point but then realized I wanted more function.. so I came back to iphone after trying android..

order of smartphones
iphone 2g, blackberry storm, blackberry 9630, blackberry bold 9700, nexus one, iphone 4 , iphone 4s

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Modernormal