With the possible battery issues, I took a look at my Location Services. The only thing I have left on is Siri and Maps, but then I took a look at System Services. Everything was turned on, so I turned off location based i-ads; I think those were going on while I was reading the NYT as I saw the arrow pop us a few tims. I also turned off Setting Time Zone; I don't travel so don't see the need for that. Both of those two have a gray locator arrow next to them meaning they had been used within the past 24 hours.

What about the others in System Services? Do I need to leave them on? I would assume I can turn traffic off as I have no idea when or where that works. Cell Network Search, Compass Calibration, and Diagnostics and Usage are what is left. I have no need for the Compass and I have that turned off in Location Services, so would think I could turn that off. The Cell Network Search I guess is for when roaming? What is the Diagnostics and Usage?

Is there a quick guide somewhere that tells us what all these things do and mean? I know I can search each individually, but would think there was a guide somewhere.
    10-20-2011 10:49 AM
    My understanding is that this stuff is a reaction to Locatiogate. I haven't seen any articles on the web that really delve into this but Apple does have a page with some details. All this info is used to provide more accurate stuff to us so it does help the common good to leave it enabled.

support.apple.com/kb/HT4995

I've turned most everything off to save battery though.
    10-20-2011 01:16 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD