16GB vs 32GB??

0pusX

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I only put music on my phones, no movies or stuff like that. So what is the best option for me 16 vs 32?

Does the memory help at all in performance or is it just for app/media storage?

My current android has 8GB plus a 32 GB memory card IM surrently using about 8GB on my 32 GB memory card. and of the 8GB onboard phone memory I have about 4GB available..

le_seus

Jun 6, 2011
Visit site
of the 16 GB or 32 GB, how much is actually useable? How much space does iOS take and how much left. i'm in same boat trying to figure out if i really need the 32 gb.

easyrun99

Jan 14, 2010
Visit site
It's like buying a big screen TV...always error on the bigger set (oooo, good plastic surgeon slogan).

The VZW 16gb 4 has 13.7gb available and I think the 32gb is just under 30gb available.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
The camera is high quality for pics and video. It will eat memory alive if you take photos. With music, apps, and pics I dont think 16GB will get you buy for long.

adamkesher

Oct 16, 2011
Visit site
You need at least 32GB. In fact, if you're light on cash I would even suggest holding off until you have enough saved up for the 64. Think about it, your tunes, apps, going on vacation and filming it in 1080p, a few movies or tv shows, then when stuff like Infinity Blade 2 hits....

bigger the better.

Duvi

Jun 17, 2008
Visit site
I never even used 16gb of my 32gb, but decided to go with the 64gb. I'm stupid with my cash, but I also thought, if it was too much, it wouldn't matter, but if it was too little, then I'd be S.O.L.

I always tell customers to get 32gb, at minimum.

Infiniti7

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
why do the phones say 16 32 64 and not hold those amounts? they are always 3 or 4 GBs less? what takes up the space on the phone software?

Duvi

Jun 17, 2008
Visit site
why do the phones say 16 32 64 and not hold those amounts? they are always 3 or 4 GBs less? what takes up the space on the phone software?
the OS takes up space, but even w/o the OS, the hard drives do not hold the exact amount advertised.

The difference in capacities is due to two different methods for defining what exactly the prefixes mega, giga, tera mean. In the computer world, these prefixes have different meanings depending on what exactly you are talking about. Hard drive manufacturers report the size of hard drives using the decimal definition of these terms (10^6, 10^9, 10^12 resepctively), whereas operating systems and other software use the binary definition of these terms (2^20, 2^30, 2^40).

As you can calculate, these values are close, but not exactly the same. 10^6 is 1,000,000, but 2^20 is 1,048,576. Once we get to larger hard drive sizes, the difference really becomes noticeable.

One gigabyte in binary is 1,073,741,824 bytes (2^30), but in decimal it?s only 1,000,000,000 bytes (10^9), which is a difference of 73,741,824 bytes (~70MB). So, when we're talking about storage size in gigabytes a hard drive's capacity as reported by the OS will be about 7% less than what is advertised by the hard drive manufacturer.

One solution to this is to talk about computer storage using Binary Prefixes so that there is no confusion about the exact amounts being talked about. In that system, a Gibibyte (GiB) is always 2^30 exactly. But, I wouldn't expect storage device manufacturers to adopt this method any time soon.

takeshi

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
I only put music on my phones, no movies or stuff like that. So what is the best option for me 16 vs 32?
It's not that straightforward. However, there's no such thing as too much storage space. You need to figure out where you're willing to compromise. Is saving cash more important or having more space? Higher capacity devices tend to have slight better resale if that's a concern. This isn't a one-size-fits-all question. Sort out your priorities and you'll have your answer.

EmceeGeek

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
I always get 32GB iPhones even though I don't put a lot of stuff on it like on my iPad 2. I got a 32GB iPad 2 and I had so much stuff on it that I needed a 64GB, it fills up quickly! Even the iPad I got my grandma is almost filled up and all she does is have apps on hers, its a 16GB. So if you have no tablet, and you're a heavy user like I am, then go for the 32GB. If you can wait and save for a 64GB, I'd suggest doing that as well. I probably might end up taking my phone back and doing the same.

Its basically the bloatware that comes pre-installed that takes up space. You never find a memory card, not even an SD card, that gives you the full amount though. Its always less.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods