A bit discouraged

jlynlove

Oct 16, 2011
Visit site
I am new to iPhone and so far I am loving it. My 4s is a dream compared to my Blackberry. BUT this quick draining battery issue is bumming me out. I've read the battery threads to find a way to solve the issue, but when will things get better? From previous experience, about how long did it take for the battery to adjust? :confused:

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
To be honest, this is the worst battery experience on an iPhone yet...and something tells me that there is an issue that will be remedied...because i cannot imagine this being the norm for this phone. Give it a few weeks, let them release a firmware update, and let's see what's going on. I know my wife has said that her 4S is actually right on par with what her iPhone 4 was...and she is an EXTREMELY heavy user...i'm not so much, and from what i've been reading online, it seems that people who are not heavy users are the ones noticing the drain more so than those who really put their iPhones to work.

The good part is though, even with this battery issue that many people are seeing...the life of the battery is still substantially better than all of the top end Android phones...lol. :p

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
It's a bit worse. But with all the icloud stuff and Siri that uses data, i couldn't imagine the battery not taking a hit. It's never been more connected.

Joe McG

Jun 9, 2009
Visit site
I would be very interested in seeing a screenshot of your usage page once the battery hits 20%. I just want to get a feel for how bad the battery is for you.

PS. Make sure your brightness is set as low as you can stand it.

Jman1313

Aug 9, 2011
Visit site
My 4S battery life is quite good. If you end up with a rogue program that doesn't pause like it should, though, you can get crazy battery drain...or if you use Siri constantly, or have a navigation app running in the background, etc. Download AppSwitch from the app store, and it will show you what apps are currently actually multitasking (as opposed to paused). If one is doing something and you don't want it to be doing something, go ahead and kill it and see if you still have issues.

StaticFX

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
i have no issues... in fact, i think my 4s is lasting longer than my BB. And thats with playing games, checking FB, twitter, using tapatalk, photos.... on my BB, all i ever did was email & text because there were not good games for it.

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
To be honest, this is the worst battery experience on an iPhone yet...and something tells me that there is an issue that will be remedied...because i cannot imagine this being the norm for this phone. Give it a few weeks, let them release a firmware update, and let's see what's going on. I know my wife has said that her 4S is actually right on par with what her iPhone 4 was...and she is an EXTREMELY heavy user...i'm not so much, and from what i've been reading online, it seems that people who are not heavy users are the ones noticing the drain more so than those who really put their iPhones to work.

The good part is though, even with this battery issue that many people are seeing...the life of the battery is still substantially better than all of the top end Android phones...lol. :p

I have to agree, I think it is iOS 5. The battery life on my iPhone 4 is very noticeably worse and seems to drain fairly rapidly when I'm not even using it. I've noticed 3G battery life is particularly bad. I've tried to disabling and messing with all the settings I can think of but nothing seems to help. With iOS 4 when leaving work I normally had around 60-70% battery remaining and the past few days it has been around 30-40% when leaving work. I have not changed usage habits. This past weekend traveling at the airport I was getting worried it would not make it as I just watched the % drop and I never experienced that before.

Searching around I found a lot of people saying they did not have this with the iOS 5 betas so here's hoping an update will help out a little.

Another example - Over night I used to wake up to 97% charge from 100% and every night now it's no higher than 90%.

DannyMichel

Jul 31, 2011
Visit site

That's pretty interesting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I've also noticed quite a bit of heat generated during some processes...and basic science tells us that heat = energy...and energy obviously would mean battery draining. I noticed my iPhone heats up MUCH more than it did on the iPhone 4 during app updates through the app store, so we can probably thank the new chip for some of the battery woes...

sj-performance

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
yup my 1st iphone and battery is very bad. im totally surprised. i tried android last year and hated it...cuz of battery. lucky for me i carry a blackberry 9930 for work and that has great battery for me. im not sure whether to wait it out or return the iphone4s..im on sprint.

phreddyl

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
I was reading an article last night that talked about the battery- it suggested in the notification center to turn off the scrolling stock and the weather- sadly I dont have the 4s yet so I cant speak from experience. Does make sense tho- thats why droids battery life is so bad- the widgets are always running in the background

tbond669

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
I was reading an article last night that talked about the battery- it suggested in the notification center to turn off the scrolling stock and the weather- sadly I dont have the 4s yet so I cant speak from experience. Does make sense tho- thats why droids battery life is so bad- the widgets are always running in the background

Where is the article that is talked about here located...anyone tried turning these notifications off & have some statistics of how it worked? thx

so.long.pre

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
I've noticed that my phone sometimes doesnt get a full charge when on the charger overnight. I first noticed this when I had my phone plugged into my PC and never got to 100%. After that I just started to plug it into the wall. I woke up this a.m. and saw 94% after a full nights charging? Could it be that the notifications are draining the battery while charging? I'm not too affected by this, because I have had smart phones for a long time and I know to have chargers everywhere! I actually have some more on the way. I have to admit the promise of a 6 HR talk time was very alluring but, who's going to talk for 6 HRS?
Moral of my story is, walk with your charger!

Apr 17, 2011
Visit site
I turned off the time zone switch and made some other modifications I've seen on the boards and my phone is doing much better with battery life today. I'm a fairly heavy user and have noticed that Facebook really drains the battery. It is always at 100% when I take it off the charger overnight. My work place is notorious for draining all phone batteries.

My husband has my old DroidX and gets very frustrated with the battery life and battery pulls.

chrstdvd

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
Anyone know if there is an app that will tell you which functions are the heaviest load on the battery? Seems to me that the 4s battery life is about the same as my Droid2. IOW two charges per day.

PS I only let either of the phones get to 30% before recharging.

Last edited:

chrstdvd

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
Search for reviews of Battery Doctor Pro. My 4S is working fine, so I don't have first hand experience with that app.
Ok, Thank you, I found it in the store and am reading the "propaganda" there. I will do a Google and read some more before I purchase it.

CalifJewls

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
I also believe it to be an iOS5 issue! Because my husband kept his iPhone 4 and I have the 4S...his battery is draining much faster and he isn't a heavy user during his work day, light usage of Twitter, Facebook, iMessage, and his battery is ready to be charged every night. Prior to iOS5 he could go a couple days with no problem.

I am a much heavier user and I definitely am not seeing stellar battery life, by the end of the day I'm squeaking by at 5-8% left at bedtime, I also could go a couple days if my usage wasn't as much..

Im not stressing, Im sure Apple is well aware and we'll have a fix soon! Im not going to turn my backlight down, turn off WiFi, etc, etc just to save a little battery life, that's not why I have this phone, so I can turn off half it's awesome features!

Lovin' my 4S!

jlynlove

Oct 16, 2011
Visit site
I THINK I have made the changes that I have seen suggested on here, but not much has changed. I charged to 100% and 15 minutes later, I was down to 94%. I hope something comes along that fixes the problem. Clearly, I'm doing something wrong and not turning something off. :(