Help with push email

OHCop

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
New iPhone user here so please be kind. My email is set to push, but it isn't doing that. The only way that I see emails is to open my mailbox. It's a yahoo account. Any suggestions?
Thanks!

Gixxer07

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
i have the same problem. wont push for me either, rather it be a yahoo account, gmail account, or iCloud account. still wont. i even tried it on a brand new iPhone 4 on verizon (my iP4 is att) and it still doesnt work. i will try re adding the account to see if it works now, i have done that but it didnt work, but since some of you say its working now i will try it

edit - nope, it didnt work

Last edited:

Todd M

Jul 26, 2010
Visit site
Set it up as an Exchange account in Yahoo or GMail. I set it up like that and it's been working great. As soon as it hits my GMail inbox, I am being notified on my phone as well.

OHCop

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
I've tried all the tips as well and nothing. I deleted the email acct and set it up again and that didn't work. Every once in awhile I will get an email pushed through, but that's rare. When I wake up there will be no signs of any emails....I click on the mail icon and 16 emails are there. This is very frustrating!

skatecrazy

Oct 20, 2011
Visit site
if you are a former BB user, iPhone's "push" will just piss you off. it's not the same true push like with a BB. You would think they might have fixed that by now, but they haven't. I've tried all the tips and things as well when I got my first iphone, I just gave up.

I am a current BB user for years, and had the iphone 3gs before upgrading to the 4s. I just live with it knowing it's not true push like on a BB.

Last edited:

noaim

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
if you are a former BB user, iPhone's "push" will just piss you off. it's not the same true push like with a BB. You would think they might have fixed that by now, but they haven't. I've tried all the tips and things as well when I got my first iphone, I just gave up.

I am a current BB user for years, and had the iphone 3gs before upgrading to the 4s. I just live with it knowing it's not true push like on a BB.

depending on what account your using the push can be very good.. I have two gmail accounts set up as exchange and the email shows up the second it hits my inbox never have had an issue doing this. I see the same results as I did when I had a blackberry

DANNCAS

Feb 19, 2009
Visit site
im sure

i have a Droid and it pissed me off too. now gettng Iphone BB has them all beat hands down on Email for sure

ozshadow#AC

Oct 22, 2011
Visit site
I just came from Blackberry as well. I think the problem is Blackberry had its own server feeding everyone. Unless you pay for Exchange or similar, you will have problems.

At the moment, I use Gmail and my own email based on my own website through cpanel (shared hosting elsewhere). I just set my iPhone to fetch every 30 minutes until I find a better solution.

Asunners

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
depending on what account your using the push can be very good.. I have two gmail accounts set up as exchange and the email shows up the second it hits my inbox never have had an issue doing this. I see the same results as I did when I had a blackberry

I have a couple of Gmail accounts setup as Exchange and my work email is through exchange. I get instant notification of new mail. In fact, half the time my iPhone gets the email faster than my corporate laptop. Works great for me and is the same great response that I had on my old windows phone.

noaim

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
I just came from Blackberry as well. I think the problem is Blackberry had its own server feeding everyone. Unless you pay for Exchange or similar, you will have problems.

At the moment, I use Gmail and my own email based on my own website through cpanel (shared hosting elsewhere). I just set my iPhone to fetch every 30 minutes until I find a better solution.

set up your gmail as exchange using the server m.google.com it will push no problem

takeshi

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site

It is true push. You apparently don't understand what push means. Timely delivery is characteristic of push but it isn't what defines push. Faulty push is still push. RIM's push isn't bulletproof. As a former BB user you should know better unless you've been lucky to have never experienced a RIM outage.

And be careful making broad, sweeping statements. I've never had problems with my push accounts (Exchange and gmail) on my iPhone. There are factors other than just your phone that can affect email delivery.

BIS and BES are double edged swords. BIS is helpful for emulating push if you have a non-push email account. The drawback, of course, are the RIM outages. BES has its own drawbacks (hardware and software requirements, cost, etc).

i have a Droid and it pissed me off too. now gettng Iphone BB has them all beat hands down on Email for sure
Again, the problem isn't the device. I had a Droid and had no problems with my push accounts.

BB's don't have "them all beat hands down on email for sure". That's a statement that's just parroted by those that don't understand. BB's can't even sync email. They can only push and reconcile at best. It's important that you understand the limiting factor causing your email issues before making such broad, sweeping generalizations.

I'm not anti-BB. I used them for years as they best suited my needs and I had 6 different BB models before I switched to a Droid. However, they don't blindly deserve the "BB is best for email" generalization that many seem to make. They're certainly a good option for some but there are other devices that handle push email just as well or better.

Last edited:

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
set up your gmail as exchange using the server m.google.com it will push no problem

If I set my gmail account up as an exchange account, do I need to turn push mail on, or is it automatic? Is there any benefit to doing this if Fetch New Data is set to Fetch every hour?

jlp916

Oct 16, 2011
Visit site
I have a couple of Gmail accounts setup as Exchange and my work email is through exchange. I get instant notification of new mail. In fact, half the time my iPhone gets the email faster than my corporate laptop. Works great for me and is the same great response that I had on my old windows phone.

Ditto this exactly. Came from BB and I have a Gmail, MSN, and Exchange account for work. On BB my Exchange email was always slightly slower than my work desktop but now with the iPhone the emails either reach at the same time or they get to the iPhone ahead of the desktop.

kilroy2730

Nov 8, 2011
Visit site

My email isn't with yahoo or gmail (it's squirrelmail) - any suggestions on how to set mine up on my iPhone 4s? Thanks in advance.

DANNCAS

Feb 19, 2009
Visit site
ok I'm with then. how to get the mail faster, comcast.net,gmail,yahoo.
It my home not a corp so I have no axcess to a mail exchange server

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2