Siri and Calendar Invites

AlwaysAnxious

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
I am having a lot of fun with SIRI, but yesterday I discovered an issue that some may enjoy, but I find less then ideal . . . .

Situation: Say I want to create a calendar entry for my dentist. I tell SIRI to set an appointment for Dr. Bob tomorrow at three. That works great, but the problem I am having is it automatically sends out an email to Dr. Bob. While this would be convenient in some situations, I really don't want my doctors receiving emails like this.

I had set an appointment and then deleted it. My dentist called me asking what was going on. Why did I cancel my appointment and what is this iCloud.

Anyway, is there a way to prevent SIRI from sending out these invite emails or from auto populating the invitees?

Thanks so much!

chrstdvd

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
Not sure but this sounds more of a function of the calendar itself and not SIRI. I think SIRI just follows the settings in your calendar.

AlwaysAnxious

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the reply. That was my initial thought, but I couldn't find any setting for this. Plus, when I create an appointment on iCal or the iCloud calendar, I have the option of adding invitees, whereas with SIRI, she auto populates this with no apparent user control.

AlwaysAnxious

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
While in my example, I used a doctor, imagine if you were setting up an appointment for a surprise party for your significant other. If you did this via SIRI, surprised just ruined . . . .

mal5z

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
This is happening to me too. I can't find a way to phrase around it, either. If I say "Meeting: John Doe," and don't use the word "with," it still invites Doe. Siri is pretty aggressive on ts. Would love a work around if anyone knows one. Thanks.

noaim

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
instead of making an appointment for dr bob just make an appointment with the dentist.. then it doesnt have any invites to send out..

AlwaysAnxious

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
I didn't even know that Siri sent emails out for calendar appointments! Awesome!!!

Well, it isn't really Siri sending out the email. Siri simply adds the invitee list and I assume the cal app sends it. But anyway.....

As for the idea of making the appointment with dentist, doctor, etc rather then the names, I thought about that too. It isn't ideal, but I suppose it will work. I guess you have to come up with names/shortcuts for certain people. I guess you could use initials for names. Just gets messy. There should simply be a way to turn this off.

Thanks for all the input.

mal5z

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
I may have been incorrect when I said that a colon wouldn't work. I set up a fake contact with an email address called John Doe, so I could do some tests. Now when I'm trying it again, it seems that if I do "add lunch: John Doe at noon tomorrow" it uses "lunch: John Doe" as the title but doesn't invite John Doe (ie, doesn't send an email to my fake contact). If I tell it to add "lunch WITH John Doe," it sends the invite. So maybe that's the workaround.

mal5z

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
Interesting. The problem seems to be with using the word meeting. When I do "lunch: John Doe," it doesn't invite John Doe. When I do "meeting: John Doe, "it translates that into "meeting with John Doe" and then invites him. So avoid the word meeting. I think the same is true with appointment.

Reactions: AlwaysAnxious

tman1425

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
Yikes. I never would have imagined that emails were automatically send out. Thanks for posting this. If anyone finds a way around this, please post it!

AlwaysAnxious

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
Interesting. The problem seems to be with using the word meeting. When I do "lunch: John Doe," it doesn't invite John Doe. When I do "meeting: John Doe, "it translates that into "meeting with John Doe" and then invites him. So avoid the word meeting. I think the same is true with appointment.

Thanks for doing this research.

grady0706#IM

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
Email issues

I have learned the hard way with this. Very good feature but should ask if you want to send invitation large feature overlooked. Please post if anyone has a fix for this issue

mwildermuth

Dec 3, 2011
Visit site
This is good to know. Sounds like a flaw with Siri/Calender. I am surprised that Siri doesn't ask you if you would like to send an e-mail before it sends one out.

GulfCoastToad

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
Have already dealt with one awkward situation here where the same thing happened to me. I sure would like an option to turn the email feature ON or OFF.