Verizon and 4g

iPhoneXGS

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
AT&T HSPA+ is fast enough for me. I live in Seattle and average speed on the day is about 7mbps and 9mbps at night. The fastest I get is 10 Mbps. I used speedtest.net apps to test it.

Bias X

Aug 2, 2011
Visit site
There is no such thing as a defined "4G" standard. The ITU defined IMT-Advanced (and certified LTE-Advanced and WiMAX 2 as meeting those requirements), and then a bunch of bloggers and non technical news organizations took to referring to IMT-Advanced as "true 4G", but the ITU itself doesn't.

And LTE-Advanced isn't deployed anywhere yet.

ITU redefined their requirements to be capable of 4G. Lowering them quite a bit. HSPA+, LTE, and WiMAX meet the lowered standards.

anon62607

Oct 22, 2011
Visit site
ITU redefined their requirements to be capable of 4G. Lowering them quite a bit. HSPA+, LTE, and WiMAX meet the lowered standards.

There is no formal technical definition of "4G" and never was. Nowhere, for example, is a requirement made that a 4G system be capable of 2.2 bits/Hz at 100 mW. you can't lower a requirement that doesn't exist.

There were such requirements for IMT-Advanced, and that IMT Advanced is considered "4G" but that the term 4G is applied to other technologies than 4G as well.

So, in short, the ITU never said that the only 4G technologies are LTE-Advanced and 802.16m, it only said the only IMT-Advanced technologies are LTE-Advanced and 802.16m. 4G remains undefined technically.

As the most advanced technologies currently defined for global wireless mobile broadband communications, IMT-Advanced is considered as

DannyMichel

Jul 31, 2011
Visit site
AT&T HSPA+ is fast enough for me. I live in Seattle and average speed on the day is about 7mbps and 9mbps at night. The fastest I get is 10 Mbps. I used speedtest.net apps to test it.

MAN, I'm so jealous of at&t customers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DANNCAS

Feb 19, 2009
Visit site
lets not beat a dead horse

lets not beat a dead horse.
will respond to the YOUNG im sure person that comment on that they don't care what goes on outside the USA. You should the worlds not that small and not everything revolves around the good old USA

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
will respond to the YOUNG im sure person that comment on that they don't care what goes on outside the USA. You should the worlds not that small and not everything revolves around the good old USA

You WAY too much. WAY, WAY too much. :confused: :mad:

0pusX

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site

37 years YOUNG, thank you.

And I DO care about world issues, however I prefer to care about world issues that are important like politics, economy and health issues....... the speed at which I can download a mp3, to me. is irrelevant what other countries can offer when I live HERE.

iPhoneXGS

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
I asked a friend of mine in Seattle with an AT&T 4S to run speedtest and got more like 0.8 Mbps down.

This I screenshot of my speedtest last night.
c6e4e2cb-7f97-2dd2.jpg

robes1

May 31, 2009
Visit site
Check it out!

In telecommunications, 4G is the fourth generation of cellular wireless standards. It is a successor to the 3G and 2G families of standards. In 2009, the ITU-R organization specified the IMT-Advanced (International Mobile Telecommunications Advanced) requirements for 4G standards, setting peak speed requirements for 4G service at 100*Mbit/s for high mobility communication (such as from trains and cars) and 1*Gbit/s for low mobility communication (such as pedestrians and stationary users).[1]

On December 6, 2010, ITU recognized that current versions of LTE, WiMax and other evolved 3G technologies that do not fulfill "IMT-Advanced" requirements could nevertheless be considered "4G".

anon62607

Oct 22, 2011
Visit site
Check it out!

In telecommunications, 4G is the fourth generation of cellular wireless standards. It is a successor to the 3G and 2G families of standards. In 2009, the ITU-R organization specified the IMT-Advanced (International Mobile Telecommunications Advanced) requirements for 4G standards, setting peak speed requirements for 4G service at 100*Mbit/s for high mobility communication (such as from trains and cars) and 1*Gbit/s for low mobility communication (such as pedestrians and stationary users).[1]

On December 6, 2010, ITU recognized that current versions of LTE, WiMax and other evolved 3G technologies that do not fulfill "IMT-Advanced" requirements could nevertheless be considered "4G".

Because IMT-Advanced does not define 4G. IMT-Advanced is just one set of technical standards that people associate the undefined term "4G" with. There isn't now, and never was, any kind of edict stating that IMT-Advanced = 4G.

Note also that those "peak requirements" are only one tiny aspect of the technical requirements. ANYONE can get 1 Gbit/sec if they're given enough transmission power and spectrum (and in fact LTE-Advanced mostly gets to Gigabit performance from using 8x8 MIMO and multiple carriers. Performance near cell edge is improved and a higher order modulation is used (128QAM) but in general LTE and LTE Advanced aren't going to act all that much different to a carrier deploying in 10 MHz.

HeyGreggie

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
I would think they'd sneak the 4g capabilities into this phone since it's a world phone, even though the two have nothing to do with each other

anon(19759)

Trusted Member
Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
I don't care what 4G means or if LTE or HSPA+ qualify as 4G. All I care about is getting it rolled out as the standard so I can have more choices for fast and reliable service.

Reactions: DannyMichel

DannyMichel

Jul 31, 2011
Visit site
I don't care what 4G means or if LTE or HSPA+ qualify as 4G. All I care about is getting it rolled out as the standard so I can have more choices for fast and reliable service.

i don't care what 4g means either. all i care about is the fact that at&t's cellular data is more than 10 times faster than verizon's on iPhones now

anon62607

Oct 22, 2011
Visit site
i don't care what 4g means either. all i care about is the fact that at&t's cellular data is more than 10 times faster than verizon's on iPhones now

AT&T is about 4.7 times faster than Verizon (14.4 Mbps vs 3.1 Mbps) on iPhone, at least in terms ideal radio conditions on the forward channel to a single user.

There will probably continue to be at least two post-3G standards, the continuing variants of HSPA and that of LTE, in the US for some time.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73