Verizon and 4g

thebignewt#IM

May 9, 2011
Visit site
No, the iPhone 4s isn't a 4G phone. It will connect, but with Vzn's 3g, not 4g. You will pay another $10/month for 4G data too. So if you get an iPhone don't get 4G. 4G will only make a difference with certain types of data download, like video/movies/TV streaming. For web pages, email, you won't notice much difference most of the time.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
No, the iPhone 4s isn't a 4G phone. It will connect, but with Vzn's 3g, not 4g. You will pay another $10/month for 4G data too. So if you get an iPhone don't get 4G. 4G will only make a difference with certain types of data download, like video/movies/TV streaming. For web pages, email, you won't notice much difference most of the time.

There is no such beast as a LTE(4G) iPhone for Verizon (or any other provider...). (Yet... maybe a year from now.) So talking about an iPhone on Verizon's 4G is rather futile right now.

DANNCAS

Feb 19, 2009
Visit site
So true

There is no such beast as a LTE(4G) iPhone for Verizon (or any other provider...). (Yet... maybe a year from now.) So talking about an iPhone on Verizon's 4G is rather futile right now.

THIERE IS NO 4 G IN THE USA. The ATT phones and Tmobile phone have a capabilities but we dont have true 4 g in the USA. Europe and the middle east are far ahead of us not to mention Asia.
Verizon is the old technology on the plant or should I say the least used. that not a problem if you never leave the USA. other then Mexico 3rd world

0pusX

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
wow the amount of misinformation in this thread is amazing......

at&t "4G" right now is HSPA+ it is available is the USA on limited # of devices.

Verizon uses CDMA for their 3G network which is what the iphone operates on. Verizon uses 4G LTE (GSM network) in the USA and it is active and it is FAST but the iPhone will NOT use the Verizon 4G network.....hopefully next one will!!!

Verizon does NOT charge anything extra for 4G use on their phones. I think Sprint charges $10/month extra to use their 4G (WiMax) network.

Last edited:

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Verizon is the old technology on the plant or should I say the least used. that not a problem if you never leave the USA. other then Mexico 3rd world
I've seen you spouting the meme that CDMA is "OLD" technology when in fact, it's not as old as GSM. Arguing which is better is like "Tastes great" vs "Less Filling"... CDMA technology works fine for the millions of customers who have and use CDMA phones and have no need to roam in Europe etc... but the argument is well on the way to being moot as LTE is on its way to becoming the dominant global standard that all the major US carriers are adopting. Verizon has them all beat on LTE deployment.

robes1

May 31, 2009
Visit site
wow the amount of misinformation in this thread is amazing......

at&t "4G" right now is HSPA+ it is available is the USA on limited # of devices.

Verizon uses CDMA for their 3G network which is what the iphone operates on. Verizon uses 4G LTE (GSM network) in the USA and it is active and it is FAST but the iPhone will NOT use the Verizon 4G network.....hopefully next one will!!!

Verizon does NOT charge anything extra for 4G use on their phones. I think Sprint charges $10/month extra to use their 4G (WiMax) network.

I see you've fed into the lies! LOL! HSPA+ and even Verizon's LTE are both fake 4G BS! True 4G is faster than anything available in the U.S. The carriers have payed people to add their lame speeds to whats accepted as 4G but it's really 3.5G. You sir are actually the one spreading the misinformation. But it's ok. The carriers need more people to believe their BS so spread away. Also I don't mean to come off as an a**hole but you're statement made it seem as though you knew what you were talking about. But you don't. You may be correct as far as 4G surcharges but not about 4G itself.

Last edited:

jakeless.123

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
The only way to get "4G" on your iPhone 4S is to get a 4G mobile hotspot and run the phone off wifi

Sent from my iPhone communication device using Tapatalk

Joe McG

Jun 9, 2009
Visit site
I have an iPhone 4S (AT&T) and a Verizon 4G LTE card. The Verizon card rivals my Comcast cable modem for speed and latency. It averages about 14 Mb/s down and 7 Mb/s up. I really don't how anyone could complain about those speeds on LTE...

DANNCAS

Feb 19, 2009
Visit site
sir

I've seen you spouting the meme that CDMA is "OLD" technology when in fact, it's not as old as GSM. Arguing which is better is like "Tastes great" vs "Less Filling"... CDMA technology works fine for the millions of customers who have and use CDMA phones and have no need to roam in Europe etc... but the argument is well on the way to being moot as LTE is on its way to becoming the dominant global standard that all the major US carriers are adopting. Verizon has them all beat on LTE deployment.

Sir unless you?re are a communication engineer or satilite engineer you are the one misinformed. The reason Verizon works outside of the USA is because their world phone has GMS chip in them too. You could not unlock the phone and put a foreign SIM card in and get it to work. I not here to upset you.I worked all over the world on such things.:eek:

robes1

May 31, 2009
Visit site
I have an iPhone 4S (AT&T) and a Verizon 4G LTE card. The Verizon card rivals my Comcast cable modem for speed and latency. It averages about 14 Mb/s down and 7 Mb/s up. I really don't how anyone could complain about those speeds on LTE...

I agree that our fake 4G is fast enough. I'm actually more than happy with 3G speeds. I just don't want a man in a suit to tell me that a donkey is a stallion!

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Sir unless you?re are a communication engineer or satilite engineer you are the one misinformed. The reason Verizon works outside of the USA is because their world phone has GMS chip in them too. You could not unlock the phone and put a foreign SIM card in and get it to work. I not here to upset you.I worked all over the world on such things.:eek:

You're the one making a FALSE claim about CDMA being OLD, not me. You are the misinformed one. Not I. And I know all about "World Phones" and how they work, so you don't need to try and school me on that either.

robes1

May 31, 2009
Visit site
CDMA Is newer than the old GSM. But older than the newest GSM tech like HSPA+ and LTE. Either way CDMA is on its way out. Soon the entire world will be LTE. Even Sprint who chose WiMax has seen the light. Hopefully the world of batteries will catch up with the world of wireless tech or we will all be wearing car batteries in a backpack just to get a decent days use out of these little computers that we call phones! LOL! :eek:

Reactions: DannyMichel

0pusX

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Actually.....SIR......I live in the USA, therefore that is what applies to me. I don't care what is what in the other countries because it doesn't apply to me. So 4G for us in this country ..... IS what at&t and Verizon are offering us HERE. why do I care if something g is faster and better if it isn't offered here?

takeshi

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
THIERE IS NO 4 G IN THE USA. The ATT phones and Tmobile phone have a capabilities but we dont have true 4 g in the USA.
Technically true but irrelevant. The point isn't whether the marketing term "4G" applies to what carriers are calling 4G not. The OP was asking if the 4S could connect to Verizon's LTE network. The argument you're trying to have is an entirely separate topic.

anon62607

Oct 22, 2011
Visit site
I see you've fed into the lies! LOL! HSPA+ and even Verizon's LTE are both fake 4G BS! True 4G is faster than anything available in the U.S. The carriers have payed people to add their lame speeds to whats accepted as 4G but it's really 3.5G. You sir are actually the one spreading the misinformation. But it's ok. The carriers need more people to believe their BS so spread away. Also I don't mean to come off as an a**hole but you're statement made it seem as though you knew what you were talking about. But you don't. You may be correct as far as 4G surcharges but not about 4G itself.

There is no such thing as a defined "4G" standard. The ITU defined IMT-Advanced (and certified LTE-Advanced and WiMAX 2 as meeting those requirements), and then a bunch of bloggers and non technical news organizations took to referring to IMT-Advanced as "true 4G", but the ITU itself doesn't.

And LTE-Advanced isn't deployed anywhere yet.

anon62607

Oct 22, 2011
Visit site
THIERE IS NO 4 G IN THE USA. The ATT phones and Tmobile phone have a capabilities but we dont have true 4 g in the USA. Europe and the middle east are far ahead of us not to mention Asia.

And that Europe or the middle east is ahead is not true either. LTE-Advanced isn't available anywhere yet. The carriers in UAE and Kuwait, at least, use sub-category 10 HSPA which is considerably slower than LTE on 10x10. Pakistan has some carriers that use EVDO rev B which is also slower than LTE from an end user perspective. The only carrier that I'm aware of that may be faster is deployed in Norway on LTE in 20 MHz, and that's very limited coverage.

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=31.483962,65.842741

chris3896

Oct 23, 2011
Visit site
I prefer the media's method of saying it. "Faux" G. Way better. And all this argument about "Faux" G on the iPhone. Can you imagine LTE on an iPhone? All you suckers think your battery is bad now? Just you wait.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner