Just wondering how strong the display material is? Is it the same a the iPad?

Thanks for the info. Great forum.

Len
    10-17-2011 07:11 AM
    I believe the front of the iPhone 4 was made with Corning Gorilla Glass so I would imagine the 4S is the same.
    10-17-2011 07:42 AM
    i've heard that it is but the screen scratches up too easy for it to be gorilla glass. almost all of my newer android phones have had that and they dont scratch period. its iffy, especially considering they dont even have apple products listed on their site as users of their glass.
    10-17-2011 08:00 AM
    From what i remember...it was never actually "Gorilla Glass", but a variant that Apple had made specifically for the iPhone using the technology developed from Gorilla Glass.
    10-17-2011 09:07 AM
    i've heard that it is but the screen scratches up too easy for it to be gorilla glass. almost all of my newer android phones have had that and they dont scratch period. its iffy, especially considering they dont even have apple products listed on their site as users of their glass.
    I've never scratched a single iPhone screen. (every generation and never use a screen protector) Granted I probably take much more care than most but still.
    Click and General Tso like this.
    10-17-2011 09:08 AM
    Yes, the glass 'can' get scratched if you are not careful, but I think it depends on where you put your phone (ie. pocket with keys). I keep a clear screen protector on mine that doesn't take away from the retina display.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk.
    10-17-2011 09:17 AM
    I've never scratched a single iPhone screen. (every generation and never use a screen protector) Granted I probably take much more care than most but still.
    I'm in the same boat as you, I'm just really OCD when it comes to my phone. The only phone I scratched was a 3GS and it was when I put it in a iFrogz case. When I slid it on there was dirt on the velvet and I didn't see it. Apple replaced my phone though. Getting back on topic.....

From what I've read the 4S is the same as the 4 and then no Apple makes their own glass. The back seems to be less tough then the front.
    10-17-2011 09:18 AM
    From what I've seen, this phone can scratch quite easily by anything small. Some people claim it is difficult to scratch, but all of my friends who have iPhones complain that things like business cards scratch the screen easily.

I'd get a screen protector to be on the safe side, but as always,

YMMV
    tino72 likes this.
    10-17-2011 09:25 AM
    From what I've seen, this phone can scratch quite easily by anything small. Some people claim it is difficult to scratch, but all of my friends who have iPhones complain that things like business cards scratch the screen easily.

I'd get a screen protector to be on the safe side, but as always,

YMMV
    Business card? No offense but I find that very hard to believe. People who scratch these phones are people who are just not that careful. Plain and simple.
    ChaosShadow likes this.
    10-17-2011 09:32 AM
    These phone are not cheap, I bought a good case with a screen protector on Saturday!! It pays for it self when it come time to get ride of the old phone!!!

KC
    10-17-2011 09:46 AM
    Business card? No offense but I find that very hard to believe. People who scratch these phones are people who are just not that careful. Plain and simple.
    Not offended. Point is, Apple claims these screens are incredibly scratch resistant when in fact they are not. You need to have a screen protector or take very good care of the phones to avoid scratching. Plain and simple.
    10-17-2011 09:59 AM
    Not offended. Point is, Apple claims these screens are incredibly scratch resistant when in fact they are not. You need to have a screen protector or take very good care of the phones to avoid scratching. Plain and simple.
    Actually they are pretty good when it comes to being scratch resistant. Again, this varies depending on the person handling the device. Business card made out of diamonds maybe... :o

And below they are talking about the original iPhone.

"Scratch Tests
    First, to simulate how it will hold up when parked in a pocket or purse alongside house keys and car keys, we stuffed the iPhone into a plastic bag containing several key chains. We then gave the bag a few good shakes to see if the activity would scratch the iPhone's screen. It didn't.

Then we rubbed keys against the screen with a fair amount of force, to see what might happen if the phone and keys were in your jeans pocket and you leaned against a counter. When the iPhone emerged with its screen just as pristine as when it went in, we tried to gouge the screen with one of the keys. We were very impressed that even this deliberate attempt to scratch the screen completely failed."
    Last edited by Jeremy Sikora; 10-17-2011 at 10:17 AM.
    10-17-2011 10:04 AM
    Sorry, the way I worded it was wrong, yes the glass is scratch resistant, but what I meant to say is that although Apple would like you to believe its near impossible to scratch the screen it isn't. You just need to be careful.

Sorry. :o
    10-17-2011 10:22 AM
    Sorry, the way I worded it was wrong, yes the glass is scratch resistant, but what I meant to say is that although Apple would like you to believe its near impossible to scratch the screen it isn't. You just need to be careful.

Sorry. :o
    No need to be sorry. Anything can be scratched yes, I agree.
    10-17-2011 10:37 AM
    I for one am not a fan of screen protectors especially not on this beautful retina display. I also do not like holsters, so i just bought a slim clear incase carrying case and i throw it in my pocket. But i make sure nothing else is in that pocket.
    10-17-2011 10:39 AM
    Scratch resistant means exactly that. Not scratch proof.

Anyone know good screen protectors which DON'T compromise the retina display?
    All the ones I've tried always give the display a fuzzy look.
    10-17-2011 11:13 AM
    I had the full body zagg and I liked it i don't think it took away from display at all
    10-17-2011 11:27 AM

Anyone know good screen protectors which DON'T compromise the retina display?
    All the ones I've tried always give the display a fuzzy look.
    Power Support Crystal Film HD. As the name implies, it's crystal clear.
    10-17-2011 11:36 AM
    Does anyone find it strange that Apple likes to tout how thin their phone is and then because it is glass you pretty much have to put a huge bumper on it or just enjoy buying a second back or front when you drop it?
    10-17-2011 12:28 PM
    Does anyone find it strange that Apple likes to tout how thin their phone is and then because it is glass you pretty much have to put a huge bumper on it or just enjoy buying a second back or front when you drop it?
    Simple solution, don't drop it.
    10-17-2011 12:38 PM
    I've had 7 iPhone 4's and I am on my first iPhone 4S. I have never once seen a single mark, scratch or blemish on any of them. Some are just not careful. My GF once threw a fit cause her phone was marked up. Why was it marked up? She constantly threw her phone in the purse with her keys and other crap.
    10-17-2011 02:25 PM
    Engadget or giz did a drop test vs a samsung galaxy s II. 3 drops, the 4s was shattered on both sides, the galaxy barely had scratches on the frame with no visible damage to the display. If it does have gorilla glass, it should not be easily scratched by keys and other pocket junk.
    10-17-2011 02:32 PM
    Engadget or giz did a drop test vs a samsung galaxy s II. 3 drops, the 4s was shattered on both sides, the galaxy barely had scratches on the frame with no visible damage to the display. If it does have gorilla glass, it should not be easily scratched by keys and other pocket junk.
    Are you joking? Day in and day out, almost a hundred times a day (yes, thats how often I am sure she reaches for her phone back and forth), you dont thnk your going to see marks?
    10-17-2011 02:56 PM
    Are you joking? Day in and day out, almost a hundred times a day (yes, thats how often I am sure she reaches for her phone back and forth), you dont thnk your going to see marks?

Didn't say it wasn't possible, only that it wouldn't be as easy to damage. Calm down.
    10-17-2011 03:11 PM
    I saw that same video and it wasn't really surprising to me. I'll take my chances with the iPhone because the screen just looks so much better than any other phone out there. I have a thin case on it that will hopefully protect it from short falls.
    10-17-2011 05:05 PM
40 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD