Is the iPhone 4s made with Gorilla glass?

EmceeGeek

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
i've heard that it is but the screen scratches up too easy for it to be gorilla glass. almost all of my newer android phones have had that and they dont scratch period. its iffy, especially considering they dont even have apple products listed on their site as users of their glass.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
From what i remember...it was never actually "Gorilla Glass", but a variant that Apple had made specifically for the iPhone using the technology developed from Gorilla Glass.

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
i've heard that it is but the screen scratches up too easy for it to be gorilla glass. almost all of my newer android phones have had that and they dont scratch period. its iffy, especially considering they dont even have apple products listed on their site as users of their glass.

I've never scratched a single iPhone screen. (every generation and never use a screen protector) Granted I probably take much more care than most but still.

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Yes, the glass 'can' get scratched if you are not careful, but I think it depends on where you put your phone (ie. pocket with keys). I keep a clear screen protector on mine that doesn't take away from the retina display.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk.

Click

Jun 9, 2009
Visit site
I've never scratched a single iPhone screen. (every generation and never use a screen protector) Granted I probably take much more care than most but still.

I'm in the same boat as you, I'm just really OCD when it comes to my phone. The only phone I scratched was a 3GS and it was when I put it in a iFrogz case. When I slid it on there was dirt on the velvet and I didn't see it. Apple replaced my phone though. :) Getting back on topic.....

From what I've read the 4S is the same as the 4 and then no Apple makes their own glass. The back seems to be less tough then the front.

Kylazin

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
From what I've seen, this phone can scratch quite easily by anything small. Some people claim it is difficult to scratch, but all of my friends who have iPhones complain that things like business cards scratch the screen easily.

I'd get a screen protector to be on the safe side, but as always,

YMMV

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
From what I've seen, this phone can scratch quite easily by anything small. Some people claim it is difficult to scratch, but all of my friends who have iPhones complain that things like business cards scratch the screen easily.

I'd get a screen protector to be on the safe side, but as always,

YMMV

Business card? No offense but I find that very hard to believe. People who scratch these phones are people who are just not that careful. Plain and simple.

KCook3

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
These phone are not cheap, I bought a good case with a screen protector on Saturday!! It pays for it self when it come time to get ride of the old phone!!!

KC

Kylazin

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
Business card? No offense but I find that very hard to believe. People who scratch these phones are people who are just not that careful. Plain and simple.

Not offended. Point is, Apple claims these screens are incredibly scratch resistant when in fact they are not. You need to have a screen protector or take very good care of the phones to avoid scratching. Plain and simple.

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com

Kylazin

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
Sorry, the way I worded it was wrong, yes the glass is scratch resistant, but what I meant to say is that although Apple would like you to believe its near impossible to scratch the screen it isn't. You just need to be careful.

Sorry. :eek:

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
Sorry, the way I worded it was wrong, yes the glass is scratch resistant, but what I meant to say is that although Apple would like you to believe its near impossible to scratch the screen it isn't. You just need to be careful.

Sorry. :eek:

No need to be sorry. Anything can be scratched yes, I agree.

Ftspyder

Apr 16, 2010
Visit site
I for one am not a fan of screen protectors especially not on this beautful retina display. I also do not like holsters, so i just bought a slim clear incase carrying case and i throw it in my pocket. But i make sure nothing else is in that pocket.

Snownation

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
Scratch resistant means exactly that. Not scratch proof.

Anyone know good screen protectors which DON'T compromise the retina display?
All the ones I've tried always give the display a fuzzy look.

wfs2011

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
Does anyone find it strange that Apple likes to tout how thin their phone is and then because it is glass you pretty much have to put a huge bumper on it or just enjoy buying a second back or front when you drop it?

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
Does anyone find it strange that Apple likes to tout how thin their phone is and then because it is glass you pretty much have to put a huge bumper on it or just enjoy buying a second back or front when you drop it?

Simple solution, don't drop it. ;)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waeriyadh