Honestly, How much Better is the new camera?

DrewBear

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
There's mixed snap opinions on the 'net after the first couple of days. Robert Scoble doesn't see much difference. Leo Laporte sees a big difference. I'm sure more detailed reviews will be written fairly soon.

I think that the fact this question is even being asked shows how great the iPhone 4 camera is despite "inferior" specs. For a huge majority of consumers, photos are no longer something to be printed on paper, rather images to be posted on the web. Megapixels are not an important differentiator past a certain point (5 MP?). Things like low-light sensitivity, image stabilization, etc. are much more important. I'm sure the detailed reviews will point out those kinds of differences in comparing photos between the 4 and 4S.

jfio91

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
camera

Theres honestly not that much of a difference, I just upgraded to my first iphone 4s and i still could of got the 4 without paying as much. I think it looks the same.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
There are differences, but they are not as apparent as someone would think just generically looking at a photo from the 4 to the 4S...the HDR option actually looks about the same, except the higher resolution means you have the ability to make the same picture fairly substantially bigger with less quality loss...

I've personally noticed that the sharpness is better, but that the camera still over saturates colors just like the iPhone 4 did...sometimes it makes the picture better, sometimes worse, but it still works well enough.

The camera takes better low light pictures on the 4S in my opinion (and with my experience taking pics yesterday in the evening)...but the flash is still terrible, which isn't surprising really since its not substantially better than that on the iPhone 4.

The camera IS better...but you may not see it until you start looking at pictures in full resolution on your computer...they'll probably look identical on the phone's screen, and most likely the same in small previews on your computer.

I did notice one major difference between them though...taking pictures is SUBSTANTIALLY faster on the 4S, so when you're taking them in series, it makes it a lot easier.

takeshi

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
so why do sometimes the light looks great and other time it looks terrible. also why does the flash look blurry alot?
Lighting conditions vary.

Not sure what you mean about "why does the flash look blurry" -- the flash is on the device so you can't take photos of it. What are you calling "the flash"?

Globe101

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
very disapoint by responses. obv havnt used camera properly.

EDIT: actually almost in the realms of some low-end DSLR cameras, lets see iphone4 cameras get that clarity and DOP.

Last edited:

robes1

May 31, 2009
Visit site
It's a lot better! But I'd never say that to my wife. She can't upgrade from the iPhone 4 til February! LOL!

TheCIArr

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
Others have already said this above but the most important things to me outside of the the spec bumps are that the 4s' camera:
takes much better pictures in low light
seems faster to load the camera app
is faster to take a picture and second and third pictures too
On the video side of things, the image stabilization is noticeably good.

StaticFX

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
coming from a Storm2 9550 with a 3.2mp camera that looked grainy ALL THE TIME! this camera is amazing :) looks almost as good as my Canon 40D DSLR (almost ;) )

EDIT: im changing my opinion... the pics look great on the phone. but NOT on the computer. very grainy. not impressed. Not when you go here Apple - iPhone 4S - Shoot amazing photos with the 8MP camera. and look at the pictures they have taken on the "4s"... yeah sure...

Last edited:

RobActivatesiOS5

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
I'm not a technical photographer of any sort, but I definitely do enjoy taking pictures at every opportunity and editing them to no end on my computer or on the iPhone. That being said, I've seen what the iPhone 4 can do time and time again. It is one of the top competitors in the cellphone camera realm, unquestionably.

That being said, the iPhone 4S camera seems leaps and bounds better to me. Color balance, shutter speed, indoor/low-light sensitivity, and even the speed at which the app opens amazes me. For someone who had become so accustomed to the strengths and weaknesses of the sensor and camera on the iPhone 4, it is amazing to see the differences that come out of the same package. Hell, this is the first time I can digitally zoom with a phone and not want to puke at the results (due to the MP increase). Coupled with quick edit on the photo.app or one of the myriad apps on the App store and you've got yourself one crazy improvement. Not to ride Apple's d, but I like what they've accomplished here.

Infiniti7

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
Do you think currently right apple could put even a better camera than the one they put in the 4s? They just chose not to because it is their way of holding back and making even more money down the road? They put in an 8 pixel whats better than that that they could put in?

Infiniti7

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
So I was in the apple store today just looking at the 4s and I compared cameras in the two. I can honestly say just holding the two phones side by side with both cameras running I can honestly say that the 4s Definitely has a better picture with colors and sharpness. Don't get me wrong te iphone4 is a hell of a camera still but you can see the improvements with the 4s and the brightness. I was impressed.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73