Email?

NYCJon

Oct 16, 2011
Visit site
Hi all,

I'm just recently new to the iPhone game (received my 4s yesterday after 7 years on blackberry) - so far I'm very happy with it, but I had a question I hope some of you can help me understand...

On blackberry, emails were pushed to my phone instantly to their respective inboxes. I believe this was a BES function. On my 4s, I sometimes receive email notifications, but sometimes have to manually click on the mail icon to refresh the inboxes to read new emails.

Can somebody clear this up for me? Is there a setting I can change to make all inboxes instantly receive emails and notify me?

(I'm aware this is probably a pretty green question, but anyway...)

Thanks for the help.

NYCJon

phillies20

Sep 24, 2011
Visit site
Make sure your email Push notifications are set to yes. push email on an iphone will never be as fast as a blackberry.. just the way it is. Enjoy your new Iphone!!

BiG BaLLA 923

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, came from long line of blackberry too! The push needs to be on like he said and it kinda pushes the email. What you're talking about wasn't just for BES though, as it was on BIS too. The push is a lot slower but that was about the only thing that blackberry did very well.

Joe McG

Jun 9, 2009
Visit site
Not all email servers are push compatible so you need to make sure "fetch email" is set to 15 minutes so the phone checks.

NYCJon

Oct 16, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the quick responses -

Yea, I realized my gmail isn't push compatible so I switched the fetch option to 15 minutes.

For my push compatible emails, though - how long does it usually take for them to send you the mail notification? I've waited 10+ minutes for some test emails ... is that pretty standard?

NYCJon

Oct 16, 2011
Visit site
It could also be a busy server issue, I guess...

For example, the email I used to sign up for this forum with sent me the notification instantly - but it took about 10 minutes for a test email i sent using the same email ...

SMELTN

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the quick responses -

Yea, I realized my gmail isn't push compatible so I switched the fetch option to 15 minutes.

For my push compatible emails, though - how long does it usually take for them to send you the mail notification? I've waited 10+ minutes for some test emails ... is that pretty standard?

gmail is push compatible... Actually you have to set it up as an exchange account and it comes through INSTANTLY all the time..

Here are the instructions

Setting up Google Sync with your iOS device - Google Mobile Help

Reactions: Kylazin

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox