Which of the 3 carriers is the 4S worth getting on?

takeshi

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
Which of the 3 carriers is the 4S worth getting on?
Depends on who has the coverage you need where you need it -- as it does regardless of the device being discussed. Worth isn't a one-size-fits-all thing no matter what topic is being discussed. If you want suggestions then you need to explain to us what would make one carrier more worthwhile than another to you.

Is sprint's speeds that good or will 2G be enough on the other two?
You mean 3G? 2G (EDGE, 1xRTT, etc) is going to be unbearably slow.

Interesting, interesting. But what about the data part though. Is 2GB enough?
Yet another subjective question. Only you can answer that. How much data usage do you need? Not everyone has the same data usage.

Verizion and Sprit are CDMA old technology and only used in the USA and and Parts of latin america.
ATT and Tmobile are GSM used most of the world. Litttle humor ( My friend is a retire executives of Verizon and we talked about this a\several times. He said why Verizon should change when American will pay top dollars for this. And it would cost hundreds of billion to change.
Read the OP again. The 4S supports international GSM roaming even for Verizon and Sprint customers. This argument is irrelevant to this thread.

..and GSM is older than CDMA.

Last edited:

anon62607

Oct 22, 2011
Visit site
Verizion and Sprit are CDMA old technology and only used in the USA and and Parts of latin america.
ATT and Tmobile are GSM used most of the world. Litttle humor ( My friend is a retire executives of Verizon and we talked about this a\several times. He said why Verizon should change when American will pay top dollars for this. And it would cost hundreds of billion to change.

CDMA is also used on at least one carrier in Japan, in china, in Pakistan and Ukraine, and 40 or so other countries. It just can't compete with gsm at 146 countries or so.

But as a technology, gsm uses CDMA (as a technology) too for the 3G part.

j_benj

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
I'm running on VZ here and I find it has the best coverage in my area. Sprint is terrible here, I had an Epic 4G for a while and I was constantly roaming on VZ's network and stuck with 1x data on a 4G capable phone. sucked!

AT&T is good in my area too, but since I'm grandfathered on VZ's unlimited data I opted to stay and live with the 3G data speed. doesn't really bother me so far :)

DANNCAS

Feb 19, 2009
Visit site
it all depends on whats you need

If your area has what and which one has the most coverage. do you travel alot of not.
co work was in puerto rico and his Verizon Driod did not work.

DreamOutLoud65

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site

with the iPhone 4S it runs on both CDMA and GSM. Dual radios/antennae.

Guacho

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
I'd rather having 2gb a month in at&t and verizon than unlimited but slow as hell data speeds with sprint..

BBtoiPhone

Oct 20, 2011
Visit site
Without good coverage the phone is useless.. So go with who ever has the best coverage in your area..

ATT has the best coverage where I am at as well as having the best international coverage.

whispa777

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
I say Verizon.

CDMA for Verizon gets very good coverage in the US. Plus, if you're a good customer, they'll unlock the GSM for your 4S free and you can use local GSM card when you travel abroad.

So Verizon is the best option to use your 4S as a world phone :)

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
Coverage being equal, AT&T. There's still time to join a different carrier later for LTE as an LTE iphone would be a new ballgame.

BBtoiPhone

Oct 20, 2011
Visit site
I say Verizon.

CDMA for Verizon gets very good coverage in the US. Plus, if you're a good customer, they'll unlock the GSM for your 4S free and you can use local GSM card when you travel abroad.

So Verizon is the best option to use your 4S as a world phone :)

I have to disagree with you on that. I travel internationaly a lot for work, and a couple of my co-workers have VZW and they don't have coverage in a fair amount of places that ATT does.. Maybe its because we travel to areas that are not tourist or heavily populated areas.

anon62607

Oct 22, 2011
Visit site
I have to disagree with you on that. I travel internationaly a lot for work, and a couple of my co-workers have VZW and they don't have coverage in a fair amount of places that ATT does.. Maybe its because we travel to areas that are not tourist or heavily populated areas.

On the GSM side of the 4S, both of them should work universally on the same frequency bands so really they should both be the same, and I imagine as the point is that they would be using a local sim anyway it's effectively acting like it were a local phone.

anon(5335877)

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site

Are you guys roaming internationally? Buying a local prepaid SIM is cheaper, usually.

whispa777

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
Are you guys roaming internationally? Buying a local prepaid SIM is cheaper, usually.

Yep, like I said in my post earlier, I'm talking about buying a local SIM card to use in your iphone. Which, if I understand correctly, AT&T does not allow for their iPhone 4s, Verizon does, after you get them to unlock your phone for you.

anon62607

Oct 22, 2011
Visit site
Yep, like I said in my post earlier, I'm talking about buying a local SIM card to use in your iphone. Which, if I understand correctly, AT&T does not allow for their iPhone 4s, Verizon does, after you get them to unlock your phone for you.

If you can find a microsim. I've got that problem here, none of the Afghanistan carriers use microsims.