Battery life issues?

Parry

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
I keep Cellular Data, Bluetooth, WiFi Off; On only as & when required. Brightness set to under 'h' of the Brightness with Auto. I always try to take my battery down to the switch off & then charge a 100% and this is what I get with my stock iOS 5.0.1 with a full charge battery just before going off.

zuwxl.png

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
I keep Cellular Data, Bluetooth, WiFi Off; On only as & when required. Brightness set to under 'h' of the Brightness with Auto. I always try to take my battery down to the switch off & then charge a 100% and this is what I get with my stock iOS 5.0.1 with a full charge battery just before going off.

zuwxl.png

in other words, unrealistic for normal everyday users

zm976311

Oct 14, 2011
Visit site
Just want to say that 5.1, especially for me, has a longer breaking in period than most of the previous releases. Don't go switching up settings before giving the phone a chance to get acclimated to what you have it at now.

Parry

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
in other words, unrealistic for normal everyday users

It actually depends the way you use. I am sure everyone here is not 24x7 in need of Bluetooth/ WiFi or Cellular Data. I am an everyday user; use my WiFi, Cellular Data & Bluetooth on a daily basis - just that switch off them as & when not required.

Its just like your car - do we keep the engine running when its idle? Or for that matter electricity, we switch off when not required - Right. Similarly we can follow up this practice with our devices & enjoy them.

Adawg1203

May 9, 2011
Visit site
First time with an iPhone (4S). I was a long time BlackBerry user (multiple models, most recently a Torch 9800), and I?m curious about expectations for battery life. I?ve read many threads on many forums, and there doesn?t seem to be a consensus on what to expect, or even how to gauge it (for example, there was an app for the BB that showed battery use hour by hour ? 2%, 3%, 7%, etc. There are several apps I?ve tried that tell you how much ?time? you have left for various activities, such as ?Talk on 3G,? ?Standby,? ?Internet WiFi,? Internet 3G,? ?Audio Playback,? ?Use Apps,? and so on ? but nothing that monitors/reports iPhone battery usage by hour).

I?ve had my iPhone for about a month now, and the battery performance is nowhere near what I?m used to with the BB, but I was wondering if that?s just par for the course with an iPhone. I?ve done most all of the usual tips & tricks (low brightness, location services turned off for most apps, fetch vs. push, no reminders, minimal notifications, etc.). I?m around wi-fi all day, so I usually keep that on for speed & data reasons, but don?t do a lot that would seem to be battery unfriendly. I don?t stream music or video. Mainly, I use Reeder for RSS reading, TweetBot for twitter, some light browsing, and the occasional phone call, text or email. I pick it off the charger in the morning at 100%, and by the end of the work day, I?m usually around 40% or less. (For comparison, with comparable use/comparable apps with the BB, I would be at least 65% - 70%).

Is this normal? Should I do some type of reset or work with AppleCare? Or is that just the way it is? Any input would be appreciated.

Its normal and maybe a bit better than norm.

The fact about the iPhone (that i find) is this, if you actually use it, it will need to be charged by days end. I unfortunately, need to charge the device once throughout the day due to my usage which, isn't extremely high but I find the iPhone, when in use, chews threw battery. I'm not complaining as my droids did the same thing. My expectation for any smartphone's battery life is get me to the end of the day. And all the phones I have owned have done just that.

My blackberry on the other hand is exceptionally great on battery. Too bad BB never kept up with the times...

Skele

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
Mine is on 5.1, 32GB. I get it fully done by 8am. But by 1pm, it's down to 40%. I use 3G when I leave home for work and use Wifi at home and office. I can't understand what is eating up my power. At night (10pm) I have around 79% with Wifi on at home. I get up at 5.30am and by that time it down to 30% or less. I see a few process running but it's not possible to remove them as these do not appear on the double click.:mad:

VydorScope

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
Occasionally (every few weeks if that) I see my phone get in a state where it seems like it chewing on it battery much much faster, meaning sitting idle it is loosing 10% in an hour. A full power off, and back on clears that up. So I am guessing a stuck process somewhere.

Anyway to debug that with out jail breaking?

Hogosha

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
Like my 4, I turn off the things I don't need/use (bluetooth, certain notifications, etc) and let it go from there. If I still see moderately horrible battery life I switch it up again by changing around settings, maybe missing something to turn off the first time around. Other than that, if my 4S lasts a whole day (which it does) after gaming, texting, e-mailing, talking, etc... I'm satisfied.
anbusig.jpg

Last edited:

G323q569

Jan 19, 2011
Visit site
The battery life on my 4s is horrid. I have my brightness set pretty low and I only have 1-4 apps using location services and I hardly use Siri. I just got the 4s 2 weeks ago this Friday and I have noticed that with the same amount of usage (maybe even less since I noticed battery issues) as my iPhone 4 the battery needs to be charged at least 2-3 times a day.
That's ridiculous, now I haven't turned Siri off but I can't imagine even without using it that it would use up such high amounts of battery.

Bias X

Aug 2, 2011
Visit site
Try to minimize push apps and location services.
You also have to take in the account that the dual core probably takes more battery power.
Also AT&T users have HSPA+ as opposed to the 4. So you will see a difference in battery life.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73