Battery life issues?

Stephxieh

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
They actually just did a restore (which I had already done) and told me I didn't qualify for it to be exchanged. If it's still not better after i update and use it for a bit longer I will go back again. I don't want to be a asshole to them but from working at the store previously i know you eventually end up getting a manager who will give you whatever.

sc13

Jan 31, 2012
Visit site
First time with an iPhone (4S). I was a long time BlackBerry user (multiple models, most recently a Torch 9800), and I?m curious about expectations for battery life. I?ve read many threads on many forums, and there doesn?t seem to be a consensus on what to expect, or even how to gauge it (for example, there was an app for the BB that showed battery use hour by hour ? 2%, 3%, 7%, etc. There are several apps I?ve tried that tell you how much ?time? you have left for various activities, such as ?Talk on 3G,? ?Standby,? ?Internet WiFi,? Internet 3G,? ?Audio Playback,? ?Use Apps,? and so on ? but nothing that monitors/reports iPhone battery usage by hour).

I?ve had my iPhone for about a month now, and the battery performance is nowhere near what I?m used to with the BB, but I was wondering if that?s just par for the course with an iPhone. I?ve done most all of the usual tips & tricks (low brightness, location services turned off for most apps, fetch vs. push, no reminders, minimal notifications, etc.). I?m around wi-fi all day, so I usually keep that on for speed & data reasons, but don?t do a lot that would seem to be battery unfriendly. I don?t stream music or video. Mainly, I use Reeder for RSS reading, TweetBot for twitter, some light browsing, and the occasional phone call, text or email. I pick it off the charger in the morning at 100%, and by the end of the work day, I?m usually around 40% or less. (For comparison, with comparable use/comparable apps with the BB, I would be at least 65% - 70%).

Is this normal? Should I do some type of reset or work with AppleCare? Or is that just the way it is? Any input would be appreciated.

4sid

Feb 9, 2012
Visit site
@Sc13 - There are few tweaks, like turning off some features, which implemented can increase your iPhone's battery. I think its totally normal.

Reactions: sc13

VydorScope

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
First time with an iPhone (4S). I was a long time BlackBerry user (multiple models, most recently a Torch 9800), and I?m curious about expectations for battery life. I?ve read many threads on many forums, and there doesn?t seem to be a consensus on what to expect, or even how to gauge it (for example, there was an app for the BB that showed battery use hour by hour ? 2%, 3%, 7%, etc. There are several apps I?ve tried that tell you how much ?time? you have left for various activities, such as ?Talk on 3G,? ?Standby,? ?Internet WiFi,? Internet 3G,? ?Audio Playback,? ?Use Apps,? and so on ? but nothing that monitors/reports iPhone battery usage by hour).

I?ve had my iPhone for about a month now, and the battery performance is nowhere near what I?m used to with the BB, but I was wondering if that?s just par for the course with an iPhone. I?ve done most all of the usual tips & tricks (low brightness, location services turned off for most apps, fetch vs. push, no reminders, minimal notifications, etc.). I?m around wi-fi all day, so I usually keep that on for speed & data reasons, but don?t do a lot that would seem to be battery unfriendly. I don?t stream music or video. Mainly, I use Reeder for RSS reading, TweetBot for twitter, some light browsing, and the occasional phone call, text or email. I pick it off the charger in the morning at 100%, and by the end of the work day, I?m usually around 40% or less. (For comparison, with comparable use/comparable apps with the BB, I would be at least 65% - 70%).

Is this normal? Should I do some type of reset or work with AppleCare? Or is that just the way it is? Any input would be appreciated.

At the end of your battery live before you plug it in to charge, go to SETTINGS->GENERAL->USAGE and scroll all the way to the bottom. Look at the number that says "usage", you should have a value around 5-7 hours for a complete discharge. If you do then you getting about what you can expect. If it says 2-3 hours, then you got a problem.

Also make sure you have the current build of the OS there was a patch released recently.

Reactions: sc13

davedmnd

Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
Had a pretty bad time with my battery recently, leaving the house at 100% and being down to 14% by lunch time! Booked in and saw a guy at the genius bar, said the battery is reading/running fine but it could be an underlying bug in an app that is stopping the phone from properly sleeping when it's put into standby mode. Told me to do a restore on it, but to start the phone as a new handset (but using the iCloud sync to sync all my contacts etc back.

What else am I going to lose doing this? (I understand I'll lose apps/settings but that's not a major issue, will I lose all my photos/texts?

Thanks for any help, and maybe this can help anyone else too.

musicfor18

Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
For me, battery life seems pretty good, except that phone calls seem to drain battery faster than I should. A 30-minute call drained 12% today, and I've experience that kind of drain several times. I'm on 3G, of course, because AT&T won't allow me to turn 3G off. That would be only a little over 4 hours of talk time; way less than the "up to 8 hours" claimed in the tech specs.

VydorScope

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
Had a pretty bad time with my battery recently, leaving the house at 100% and being down to 14% by lunch time! Booked in and saw a guy at the genius bar, said the battery is reading/running fine but it could be an underlying bug in an app that is stopping the phone from properly sleeping when it's put into standby mode. Told me to do a restore on it, but to start the phone as a new handset (but using the iCloud sync to sync all my contacts etc back.

What else am I going to lose doing this? (I understand I'll lose apps/settings but that's not a major issue, will I lose all my photos/texts?

Thanks for any help, and maybe this can help anyone else too.

If your photos are all in iCloud then you will not loose them. If not, then copy them off first. In fact you might want to do that either way since I think only the last 30 days of photos would be in iCloud anyways.

Your apps are in the store so you can just re-grab them, you will just have to redo your settings in each app. If it is really is an app then you will want to put one back on at a time and give it a few days with each app to see which app is the problem or you will just recreate the problem.

You will loose your text. There might be an app to save them, but barring that, they will be gone. You will loose custom wall paper, ring tones, and etc. Back those up first.

Not sure on anything else as I have not done it with iPhone yet....

IdleStudios

Mar 12, 2012
Visit site
First time iPhone user, I think I've gotten used to just charging the phone pretty often. Definitely cannot get away without charging at least once a day.

itsalexaye

May 8, 2011
Visit site
First time iPhone user, I think I've gotten used to just charging the phone pretty often. Definitely cannot get away without charging at least once a day.

especially if you use your phone lol, some people get like 3 days on a single charge and I doubt they are actually using their iPhone.

IdleStudios

Mar 12, 2012
Visit site
To me the battery is great! Although I did come from an LTE Android device which needs to be charged like every 8 hours! So lasting 20+ hours for me is a big change lol

Yikes! Yeah, I'm actually pretty content with battery life, all things considered. I've also felt like it charges remarkably quick, so I really can't complain at all.

Gixxer07

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
I must be lucky. Because I have never experienced a battery drain problem with any iOS device I have ever had. I am quite satisfied with the battery life of this phone.

chronictacos

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
my battery life is horrid. my friends have iphone 4 or 4s and there battery last longer than mine. i feel like my phone loses like 15-20% an hour ill look at the percent meter and see it drop a percent every few minutes. i dont know what to do ive reset the phone restored it as a new phone everything set it up as new and did the whole 9 but i still have battery issues.

haxrnick

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
My battery was terrible when I updated to 5.1. I work in an area that I get zero signal so my phone was constantly searching. I could work a full day and be down to 25% after starting with a full charge. Just restored as new phone and changed no other settings and now I'll leave work and it's down to about 80-85%. Very happy with 5.1.

peterpan1977

Feb 20, 2012
Visit site
Mine is excellent, but probably because I JUST got it last month lol!! No complains so far. I charge it before going to bed at night, unplug it when I leave for work in the morning, and it lasts whole day. However, note that I don't use my phone a lot during the day. I'll see how it goes down the road...

Dezdon#IM

Feb 18, 2012
Visit site
I am absolutely impressed by the lack of battery life in my 4s. I have nothing set to push, nothing open, connected to my wi-fi, I only sent two text messages today and had a 10 minuet conversation, havent gone on the web with the phone today and the meter drops by the hour.
I used to charged my Blackberry every other day and Im always goofing around with apps. This is almost appalling.
I was watching the Apple video yesterday of the launch of os5. and the 4s. The Apple management speaker was bragging how awesome the battery life was, what a liar, incredible.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods