Battery life issues?

zm976311

Oct 14, 2011
Visit site
Any word on another update that includes a battery life fix?
We're only up to Beta 2 on 5.1... I haven't seen a huge increase in battery life in any of the major releases that have come through the pipeline, but I think we'll be seeing the next beta pretty soon, since the iOS devs are probably back to work now or soon after New Years. That and it's been a bit longer than we usually see between releases.

bellizima

Dec 21, 2010
Visit site
i turned off siri once and for all yesterday...not sure if its att or apple but half the time she cant connect...lame...still love the phone though

StormJH1

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
The battery life complaints were one thing that scared me a little bit, but ultimately I just though "screw it" and ordered my iPhone 4s. Battery life will ALWAYS be an issue for some people because the devices get more and more powerful but are ultimately quite small handheld COMPUTERS. Most of the people that complain about it don't even realize they have 40 apps open, constant notifications, and their bluetooth running all the time. OF COURSE your battery life will suffer if that's the case.

I'm not at all surprised that iPhone 4s has decreased battery life. It's basically the same hardware, but with a faster processor and an operating system that runs a lot of notification and location services that eat power. Apple allows you to charge the device in a car, in a computer, or in a outlet, so unless you're actively moving around, it should be possible to top that thing off partially or all the way.

hunoosh

Oct 27, 2011
Visit site
The battery life complaints were one thing that scared me a little bit, but ultimately I just though "screw it" and ordered my iPhone 4s. Battery life will ALWAYS be an issue for some people because the devices get more and more powerful but are ultimately quite small handheld COMPUTERS. Most of the people that complain about it don't even realize they have 40 apps open, constant notifications, and their bluetooth running all the time. OF COURSE your battery life will suffer if that's the case.

I'm not at all surprised that iPhone 4s has decreased battery life. It's basically the same hardware, but with a faster processor and an operating system that runs a lot of notification and location services that eat power. Apple allows you to charge the device in a car, in a computer, or in a outlet, so unless you're actively moving around, it should be possible to top that thing off partially or all the way.

Well said. Every single smart phone will use up your battery. Especially if your on it contantly. Some "may" be better than others but ultimately they are like you said small compact computers. I have car charger, charger at work, one at home (well several. We're an iPhone/iPod. Family)

StormJH1

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
Well said. Every single smart phone will use up your battery. Especially if your on it contantly. Some "may" be better than others but ultimately they are like you said small compact computers. I have car charger, charger at work, one at home (well several. We're an iPhone/iPod. Family)

I was thinking about this some more after my Guitar Plug jack came in the mail and I started jamming with Garage Band and AmpliTube (on iPad, but it also works with the iPhone 4s). The device was receiving my guitar signal, processing it, laying it out graphically on the display screen, and then amplifying it back to me through the headphone jack. All the while, it was running radios and other iOS processes in the background. If I were just listening to music on some type of MP3 player, most people wouldn't be at all surprised if their device ran out of battery after 6-12 hours. So I'll say it again: why is it surprising that a device doing all of these things would only last half a day?! Laptop computers have GIANT batteries, by comparison, the laptops that people use for home and work generally last about 2 to 10 hours on a battery, and people just accept that.

I don't have my 4s yet (tomorrow). But I'm reading that the standby time is actually quite good. Which means if you just need your phone as a PHONE and you're away from any type of charger, you probably can get through a full day (or more) by turning off the proper radios and services. The battery issues come from the fact that Apple has made an interesting device that people are actually USING, as opposed to leaving in their problem.

Not making excuses for Apple, and I'd certainly want to see any manufacturer improve their device, but I think a lot of people just have unrealistic expectations.

StormJH1

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
My battery usage time is less than desirable but the stand by time is phenomenal on this device.

Can you give me an idea of how long the phone lasts if you just charge it and leave on the radios to receive calls (without turning on the touchscreen)? Know this has been discussed all over, but was interested in some actual anectodal reports. Thanks.

metric man

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Better to keep WiFi on or off to preserve battery life?

Hi everyone,

So what is the consensus? For the sake of preserving battery life, If you are not in a WiFi area, is it better to keep WiFi on or off?

I have heard one opinion that keeping WiFi on uses more battery resources because the iPhone keeps searching for WiFi. Then, on the other side, some people say that (if I understand their argument correctly) searching for WiFi uses less resources than searching for a cellular signal, and that therefore it is better to direct the phone to search for WiFi.

Please, what do people think? I really like my new iPhone 4s, but the battery performance is a weakness.

Thank you.

zm976311

Oct 14, 2011
Visit site
Hi everyone,

So what is the consensus? For the sake of preserving battery life, If you are not in a WiFi area, is it better to keep WiFi on or off?

I have heard one opinion that keeping WiFi on uses more battery resources because the iPhone keeps searching for WiFi. Then, on the other side, some people say that (if I understand their argument correctly) searching for WiFi uses less resources than searching for a cellular signal, and that therefore it is better to direct the phone to search for WiFi.

Please, what do people think? I really like my new iPhone 4s, but the battery performance is a weakness.

Thank you.
Why would you keep something on that you're not currently using? If you leave WiFi on in an area where there isn't any then you're just taxing the battery by the radio constantly looking for a signal. It's the same as if you were in a poor cell service area. Leaving settings on for services you aren't using is always going to drain the battery.

zm976311

Oct 14, 2011
Visit site
I was thinking about this some more after my Guitar Plug jack came in the mail and I started jamming with Garage Band and AmpliTube (on iPad, but it also works with the iPhone 4s). The device was receiving my guitar signal, processing it, laying it out graphically on the display screen, and then amplifying it back to me through the headphone jack. All the while, it was running radios and other iOS processes in the background. If I were just listening to music on some type of MP3 player, most people wouldn't be at all surprised if their device ran out of battery after 6-12 hours. So I'll say it again: why is it surprising that a device doing all of these things would only last half a day?! Laptop computers have GIANT batteries, by comparison, the laptops that people use for home and work generally last about 2 to 10 hours on a battery, and people just accept that.

I don't have my 4s yet (tomorrow). But I'm reading that the standby time is actually quite good. Which means if you just need your phone as a PHONE and you're away from any type of charger, you probably can get through a full day (or more) by turning off the proper radios and services. The battery issues come from the fact that Apple has made an interesting device that people are actually USING, as opposed to leaving in their problem.

Not making excuses for Apple, and I'd certainly want to see any manufacturer improve their device, but I think a lot of people just have unrealistic expectations.
Several reasons for accepting that laptops last a few hrs off the charger... 1) You're lighting at least an 11 inch screen if you're using a Mac... On every electronic device lighting the screen is going to use close to the most of the battery. 2) The laptop is running more battery intensive services, Flash being specifically what I'm talking about. Flash takes up A LOT of battery because of the constant rendering/buffering needed to run Flash games/ads/videos. The laptop just has way more processor heavy tasks to do. But yes my standby on the 4S is fantastic... it's once I actually start using the device that I see problems haha

RichieHD#AC

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
Can you give me an idea of how long the phone lasts if you just charge it and leave on the radios to receive calls (without turning on the touchscreen)? Know this has been discussed all over, but was interested in some actual anectodal reports. Thanks.

Yesterday I was out and about in Manhattan all day and used my phone periodically to check my pushed emails and play some family feud. On one charge I ended up with 5 hours and ten minutes of usage and one day and 10 mins of standby.

I work overnights and use my phone all night when I'm not busy and end up with about 5 or sometimes a little over 5 hours of usage with little to no standby.

It's awesome for standby but I might get one of those portable charger things just in case I need to get a few more hours of juice. Coming from a Motorola Triumph Android phone though, this thing has great battery. It would die within 7 hours (four-ish hours of straight use plus 2 hours of standby and it would dead).

VydorScope

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site

I tested that very thing once. Charged my phone fully, left all features on, unplugged it and went to bed. In seven hours 20 minutes the iPhone lost 4% battery life.

StormJH1

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
I tested that very thing once. Charged my phone fully, left all features on, unplugged it and went to bed. In seven hours 20 minutes the iPhone lost 4% battery life.

Nice! That's what I like to hear.

Noob question - do you get the USB plug adapter in the box for an iPhone (like you do for iPad), or just the USB cable?

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox