Battery life issues?

Troy the Creator

Aug 8, 2011
Visit site
it sure was. that was when we all upgraded OTA to 5.0.1 when it was released (in nov.) if you remember? then by sunday my battery life wasnt any better and i went through all of that, because friggin icloud didnt put my apps back like it was supposed to :( but TG it put back my contacts, considering i have 400+ :eek:

if you didn't have photo stream turned on from the get go, those pix won't sync up to it even if your on wifi-at least i dont think they will. there is a way to save your pix to a folder on your computer--i'm not completely sure how to do that though as i havent attempted that yet. sorry:( BUT i *think* there may be a thread around here somewhere (?) on how to. i honestly cant recall, my memory isnt that great unfortunately:eek:

i backed up the camera roll. i should be set right?

edit - the only pictures that go into the photo stream are the ones taken after i turned icloud backup on

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
i backed up the camera roll. i should be set right?

edit - the only pictures that go into the photo stream are the ones taken after i turned icloud backup on

how did you back up the camera roll? i'll be honest i'm not that familiar with it.
When i got my 4S i had photostream turned ON from the start so my wps/pix were saved and put back to my 4S through that.

the setting to turn it on is throught: settings/icloud then scroll down to photostream and you'll see if its ON or OFF.

Troy the Creator

Aug 8, 2011
Visit site
how did you back up the camera roll? i'll be honest i'm not that familiar with it.
When i got my 4S i had photostream turned ON from the start so my wps/pix were saved and put back to my 4S through that.

the setting to turn it on is throught: settings/icloud then scroll down to photostream and you'll see if its ON or OFF.

go to settings -> icloud -> storage and backup -> manage storage -> click on your iphone then itll have a list of all the apps. the camera roll should be there as well

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
go to settings -> icloud -> storage and backup -> manage storage -> click on your iphone then itll have a list of all the apps. the camera roll should be there as well

oh ok i see where your talking about. well, i would imagine that should be back up then. I've never used the cloud that way--i only use it for contacts, calendar and photostream. sorry i cant be of more help with that.

Just as a precaution, what i suggest you do also is a back on itunes through usb again just IN CASE.

worse case scenario if you had to use that back up from itunes to restore it to your phone, your battery would be as it is now, but at least you'd have all your info you needed.

zm976311

Oct 14, 2011
Visit site
troy, if your back up had a 'bug' or was corrupted with something--restoring your phone as new and then adding back your previous back up wont help unfortunately.

You have to start off completely as new. Another words restore your phone as new condition. use the cloud to replace your contacts and calendar. use photo stream for your wps. then usb to itunes to sync back your apps and music. dont use your back up. Once you get re-set, keep an eye on your battery usage/standby. If you see an improvement, perform a fresh back up so you have a 'good' one.

I had to go through all of this, on top of re-entering all of my notes one by one and re-enter all of my user names/pws one by one in my keeper app also. YES its a royal PITA, but i get great battery life now so it was worth the headache for the day i had to do all this:)
When you sync your apps from iTunes your app data/homescreen orientation is gone right? Only thing holding me back is that I don't wanna have to start my Cut The Rope over again haha

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
When you sync your apps from iTunes your app data/homescreen orientation is gone right? Only thing holding me back is that I don't wanna have to start my Cut The Rope over again haha

yea, i think you do loose that info. IDK about games, but when i had to re-sync my apps, 'keeper' being one of them, i had to re-enter 35+ user names/pws back into it. :( which totally sucked !!

btw, cut the rope is such a cute game-i play on my ipad:D

Also Troy, another suggestion--idk if it makes a huge difference. After you do your whole restore as new process, let your battery die out completely till your device shuts off, and then do a full fresh charge from there. I did this as well with my whole 'restore' ritual. :)

zm976311

Oct 14, 2011
Visit site
yea, i think you do loose that info. IDK about games, but when i had to re-sync my apps, 'keeper' being one of them, i had to re-enter 35+ user names/pws back into it. :( which totally sucked !!

btw, cut the rope is such a cute game-i play on my ipad:D

Also Troy, another suggestion--idk if it makes a huge difference. After you do your whole restore as new process, let your battery die out completely till your device shuts off, and then do a full fresh charge from there. I did this as well with my whole 'restore' ritual. :)
Well that's what I thought.. it's been like that for every other iOS. Thought it might be different for this one. FWIW I do a full discharge after upgrading to every new OS release and even when I make changes that could have significant impact (good or bad) on battery life. I just turned off pretty much all of my iCloud features cause I really had no use for them and did a full discharge afterward.

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
Well that's what I thought.. it's been like that for every other iOS. Thought it might be different for this one. FWIW I do a full discharge after upgrading to every new OS release and even when I make changes that could have significant impact (good or bad) on battery life. I just turned off pretty much all of my iCloud features cause I really had no use for them and did a full discharge afterward.

I dnt use icloud because of a bad experience I had with it. Long story short i did a back up, it was supposed to put everything back and didn't. SO I don't rely on it what so ever anymore. I go the old fashion route and back up via USB with iTunes ;)

zm976311

Oct 14, 2011
Visit site
I dnt use icloud because of a bad experience I had with it. Long story short i did a back up, it was supposed to put everything back and didn't. SO I don't rely on it what so ever anymore. I go the old fashion route and back up via USB with iTunes ;)
That could be a pretty nice reason why you're seeing such awesome battery life (still jealous btw!)... I'm starting to think if I really need it. The only thing that's really keeping me with it is Find My iPhone, cause god forbid I lose my phone or it gets stolen I'd like to know at least an approximate location of where it is to try and retrieve it.

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
That could be a pretty nice reason why you're seeing such awesome battery life (still jealous btw!)... I'm starting to think if I really need it. The only thing that's really keeping me with it is Find My iPhone, cause god forbid I lose my phone or it gets stolen I'd like to know at least an approximate location of where it is to try and retrieve it.

Yea, I understand. I was intrigued by "find my phone" at first, but then opted against it. I fig'd I really don't need it as my phone is literally in my hand, on my kitchen counter or if I'm out-it's tucked away in my handbag out of site.

I'm also starting to second guess using photo stream now also. I may just turn that off one of these days as well;):)

zm976311

Oct 14, 2011
Visit site
Yea, I understand. I was intrigued by "find my phone" at first, but then opted against it. I fig'd I really don't need it as my phone is literally in my hand, on my kitchen counter or if I'm out-it's tucked away in my handbag out of site.

I'm also starting to second guess using photo stream now also. I may just turn that off one of these days as well;):)
Photo Stream never really seemed worth it to me... if I connect my phone to the computer to back up I can just import to iPhoto. Doesn't seem very worth it to me... that and I assume it's always trying to keep a connection going for when you actually do take a picture. Major resources hog.

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
i dont think this worked. lost 3 percent while just looking thru my contacts
Troy, I sent you a PM:)
When you say restore from iCloud you just mean log in under the settings? Not restore the iCloud backup cause that would defeat the purpose of starting new... Right?

yes you set up as new but then sign in to restore your icloud back up. I should have been more clear there:eek: there are a few people that I know of that did it this way and they have improved battery life.If that doesn't help the only other way is to restore as new, have icloud put back just contacts, calendar and photos if you want those from photo stream. And then sync to iTunes to add back your apps and music, but not from a previous back up.

Now, unless I'm mistaken about this process here I would hope that someone would correct me if I'm wrong:)

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR