Battery life issues?

Tysio

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
Wow, I didn't think the battery was so bad.
I think the iOS 5.0.1 has a few patches that fix battery life.
I was actually considering getting one, but glad I didn't!
The 'push notifications' feature with the apps is also a battery breaker, on my iPod touch 4G I have that switched to manually. That may slightly help out!

But yeah, I think mainly because of iOS 5 is the case of the 4S having such poor battery life..

Troy the Creator

Aug 8, 2011
Visit site
My battery life is horrendous. I can't make it 4 hours of usage without needing to charge. I've heard that if you restore as new then restore from a backup then the battery life would be better. Either that or restoring it as new and adding everything back in manually. Which shoud i do? And what do i need to be worried about? Contacts, apps, photos, notes etc

Cleveland

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
My battery life is horrendous. I can't make it 4 hours of usage without needing to charge. I've heard that if you restore as new then restore from a backup then the battery life would be better. Either that or restoring it as new and adding everything back in manually. Which shoud i do? And what do i need to be worried about? Contacts, apps, photos, notes etc

Restore as new and use the iCloud backup to restore everything is what I did

zm976311

Oct 14, 2011
Visit site
Restore as new and use the iCloud backup to restore everything is what I did
I get confused by this every time someone says it... I'm almost getting to the point where I'm willing to try that, but what's the step by step for it? Once you restore as a new phone how do you use your iCloud backup to get your apps/data back? After working with iOS since the original EDGE iPhone it's kind of weird I can't grasp this lol

_heatherly

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site
I get confused by this every time someone says it... I'm almost getting to the point where I'm willing to try that, but what's the step by step for it? Once you restore as a new phone how do you use your iCloud backup to get your apps/data back? After working with iOS since the original EDGE iPhone it's kind of weird I can't grasp this lol

I'm with you there. I'm scared to back up anything to the cloud. I'm so used to the old way of backing up the phone via iTunes, which is what I continue to do today. How do I make sure everything is properly backed up in iCloud? I'd love a step-by-step guide on how to back-up and restore as new with iCloud.

zm976311

Oct 14, 2011
Visit site
I'm with you there. I'm scared to back up anything to the cloud. I'm so used to the old way of backing up the phone via iTunes, which is what I continue to do today. How do I make sure everything is properly backed up in iCloud? I'd love a step-by-step guide on how to back-up and restore as new with iCloud.
Exactly! I'm comfortable backing up and restoring normally with iCloud, just not after restoring as new.

anon(73368)

Dec 3, 2011
Visit site
I just made the switch from a BB 9900 which battery was ok BUT the I4s is alot better. For example today its been off the charger almost 15 hrs and i'm @42%. very pleased!

_heatherly

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site
did that help your battery issue?

I just did this (except with iTunes back up instead of iCloud). Will let you guys know later.

I've never had terrible battery life but lately it hasn't been great so I thought I'd try restoring as new to see if it helps.

Sent from my iPhone4S using Tapatalk

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site

I also don't back anything up to the cloud. I go the old fashioned way and back up via USB to iTunes usually every Sunday:)

I can tell you I don't trust the cloud from a bad experience with it -when I first installed 5.0.1, I had terrible battery life. So I backed everything up to icloud (apps,contacts,calendar) and did a restore as new to my phone. When it was supposed to put back ALL of my apps and their info....it never did. It only replaced my contacts and calendar info, and my few wps I had from photo stream. IDK why it didn't do what it was supposed to. I had to re-sync my apps from iTunes via USB and re-enter info into my keeper app one by one and re-enter all my notes again So since then, I will not rely on icloud for anything now. the good thing that did come out of it is that I get really good battery life now.

USB to back up via iTunes is the way I roll now;)

Reactions: noaim

Troy the Creator

Aug 8, 2011
Visit site
I just did this (except with iTunes back up instead of iCloud). Will let you guys know later.

I've never had terrible battery life but lately it hasn't been great so I thought I'd try restoring as new to see if it helps.

Sent from my iPhone4S using Tapatalk

ill do the same. i just restored my phone as new then set it up as new then restored from itunes back up. i let you know as well. hopefully its better

noaim

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
I also don't back anything up to the cloud. I go the old fashioned way and back up via USB to iTunes usually every Sunday:)

I can tell you I don't trust the cloud from a bad experience with it -when I first installed 5.0.1, I had terrible battery life. So I backed everything up to icloud (apps,contacts,calendar) and did a restore as new to my phone. When it was supposed to put back ALL of my apps and their info....it never did. It only replaced my contacts and calendar info, and my few wps I had from photo stream. IDK why it didn't do what it was supposed to. I had to re-sync my apps from iTunes via USB and re-enter info into my keeper app one by one and re-enter all my notes again So since then, I will not rely on icloud for anything now. the good thing that did come out of it is that I get really good battery life now.

USB to back up via iTunes is the way I roll now;)

I have never trusted cloud services it seems everytime I have ever done anything with the cloud (not just apples) contacts duplicate or I lose them completely etc etc. I will stick tithe old fashion way as well.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

Troy the Creator

Aug 8, 2011
Visit site
my battery is still the same after the restore. it seemed better at first, but later on in the day i lost 20% listening to music only. im getting really fed up with this now

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
my battery is still the same after the restore. it seemed better at first, but later on in the day i lost 20% listening to music only. im getting really fed up with this now

troy, if your back up had a 'bug' or was corrupted with something--restoring your phone as new and then adding back your previous back up wont help unfortunately.

You have to start off completely as new. Another words restore your phone as new condition. use the cloud to replace your contacts and calendar. use photo stream for your wps. then usb to itunes to sync back your apps and music. dont use your back up. Once you get re-set, keep an eye on your battery usage/standby. If you see an improvement, perform a fresh back up so you have a 'good' one.

I had to go through all of this, on top of re-entering all of my notes one by one and re-enter all of my user names/pws one by one in my keeper app also. YES its a royal PITA, but i get great battery life now so it was worth the headache for the day i had to do all this:)

Troy the Creator

Aug 8, 2011
Visit site
troy, if your back up had a 'bug' or was corrupted with something--restoring your phone as new and then adding back your previous back up wont help unfortunately.

You have to start off completely as new. Another words restore your phone as new condition. use the cloud to replace your contacts and calendar. use photo stream for your wps. then usb to itunes to sync back your apps and music. dont use your back up. Once you get re-set, keep an eye on your battery usage/standby. If you see an improvement, perform a fresh back up so you have a 'good' one.

I had to go through all of this, on top of re-entering all of my notes one by one and re-enter all of my user names/pws one by one in my keeper app also. YES its a royal PITA, but i get great battery life now so it was worth the headache for the day i had to do all this:)

ahh ok i see now. i will get right on it. only thing im worried about is my pictures and notes. i backed it up on the cloud but only 11 of the pictures show up

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
^ Wow, that sounds like a lot of work Pink!

it sure was. that was when we all upgraded OTA to 5.0.1 when it was released (in nov.) if you remember? then by sunday my battery life wasnt any better and i went through all of that, because friggin icloud didnt put my apps back like it was supposed to :( but TG it put back my contacts, considering i have 400+ :eek:

ahh ok i see now. i will get right on it. only thing im worried about is my pictures and notes. i backed it up on the cloud but only 11 of the pictures show up
if you didn't have photo stream turned on from the get go, those pix won't sync up to it even if your on wifi-at least i dont think they will. there is a way to save your pix to a folder on your computer--i'm not completely sure how to do that though as i havent attempted that yet. sorry:( BUT i *think* there may be a thread around here somewhere (?) on how to. i honestly cant recall, my memory isnt that great unfortunately:eek:

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
as for your notes--copy them all and email them to yourself so you can re-enter them

yes.....i know-time consuming and a PITA but hopefully doing this will improve your battery life:)

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2