Battery life issues?

Possession

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
I am in the same boat. I can get 2 days out of it with very light use (3G off, brightness on low, main features turned off). But if I use it like I used my previous phone (little web browsing and music at lunch, couple of games during the day) it'll die in around 14 hours.

minister

Oct 14, 2011
Visit site
Okay, so after a week of horrible battery life from bedtime to morning, I did some experimenting.

Last night, I did the restore on my phone. I let it drain to 0 battery, charged it overnight, woke up and unplugged with a 100% charge at 8am. Left for church at 9am, and it had drained to 89% after doing nothing at all but sitting on my dresser. I had wi-fi connected.

Went to church, and for 2 solid hours, the battery went from 89% down to 87%, and the only difference was that it was not connected to a wifi network. I had wifi on, but i was not connected to the church's wifi. I went to a member's house for lunch, it stayed at 87%. Got home at 2:00, and the battery went from 87-84% in a matter of 2 minutes. Turned wifi off on the phone, and now at 2:20 it is still at 84%.

So, either my wifi is screwing it up, or the wifi on the phone is screwing it up.

I have noticed while sitting at home, it will shuffle from the wifi icon to 3g over and over, like it won't hold on to the wifi signal. Regardless, with the phone not on wifi, it has no battery problems at all. When it is just on 3g, it does a stellar job, which is just awful, because I'm on Sprint.

nj1266

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
I have noticed while sitting at home, it will shuffle from the wifi icon to 3g over and over, like it won't hold on to the wifi signal. Regardless, with the phone not on wifi, it has no battery problems at all. When it is just on 3g, it does a stellar job, which is just awful, because I'm on Sprint.

A weak wifi signal will destroy the batter life. I friend of mine had the same issue on her iphone 4. Her phone kept switching between wifi and 3g and her battery had very poor performance. She called her isp provider and fixed the wifi signal and gor stellar battery performance.

anon(4742778)

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
So last night, at around 3am, I unplugged my 4S and plugged in my iPad. When I woke up, my iPhone was down to 85%. Is anyone else experiencing this type of battery usage? My old iPhone would only be down to 98% when I did this before.

I can understand that during the day I a,using it a lot, but not when I'm asleep. Thoughts?

-John
Here's a good guide on practical ways to improve your iPhone's battery life it should definately help since it has more effective tips, rather than obvious tips that detracts from the user experience.

Hope it helps :)

symtronic

Oct 31, 2011
Visit site
5.1 beta 2 is looking better for me.... off the charger at 730am and only down to 86% with minimal use.... for sure this is an improvement

hunoosh

Oct 27, 2011
Visit site
Mines not Usually this bad. Not sure what's going on but in doing a complete battery drain down to 0 to reboot and full charge. Haven't done that in a while.
2921e2b2.jpg

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
Okay, so after a week of horrible battery life from bedtime to morning, I did some experimenting.

Last night, I did the restore on my phone. I let it drain to 0 battery, charged it overnight, woke up and unplugged with a 100% charge at 8am. Left for church at 9am, and it had drained to 89% after doing nothing at all but sitting on my dresser. I had wi-fi connected.

Went to church, and for 2 solid hours, the battery went from 89% down to 87%, and the only difference was that it was not connected to a wifi network. I had wifi on, but i was not connected to the church's wifi. I went to a member's house for lunch, it stayed at 87%. Got home at 2:00, and the battery went from 87-84% in a matter of 2 minutes. Turned wifi off on the phone, and now at 2:20 it is still at 84%.

So, either my wifi is screwing it up, or the wifi on the phone is screwing it up.

Hi ministerman :) I know you posted this a few days ago but it just caught my attention now. I've often heard mixed things about wifi being better for battery, but then I've heard that staying connected to your carriers network is better. From my experience, I've seen a little of both. Here's my take on it, it's just my opinion and what I've seen my device do, so I'm not trying claim that this is how it is.

If your connected to wifi, and the weather is bad or your router is not getting a great signal to provide a good wifi signal to your device, I feel it will use more of your battery just trying to stay connected to the wifi.

As for a 3G connection--^^same as above--if the weather is bad, or your in a building etc. preventing your device from getting good signal, it will drain the battery trying to keep up.

Luckily I've been fortunate to get very good battery life EXCEPT when I have poor weather conditions here (rain, storms, cloudy/overcast) my battery doesn't last as long.

zm976311

Oct 14, 2011
Visit site
5.1 beta 2 is looking better for me.... off the charger at 730am and only down to 86% with minimal use.... for sure this is an improvement
Same here... on beta 1 I would be lucky to get 5 hrs usage and a day of standby. For the past two days in a row I've gotten much improved results. Right now at exactly 50% I have 2hrs 57mins of usage and 16hrs 5mins of standby. Not bad at all if you ask me and a pretty sweet improvement. Here's to hoping it lasts (knocks on wood) and maybe even improves, but I don't wanna get greedy.

Kristy_Lyn

Oct 28, 2011
Visit site
I've noticed my battery has gotten better now that I have had my phone for a month of regular use. I make sure I do all the regular discharging the battery all the way pretty regularly. I've turned off most of my location services, and I regularly turn off wifi if I'm not in an area where I'm using it. Another way I've helped add life to my battery is by turning the brightness down a bit, I only turn it up higher when need be.

I get about 5 hours of heavy use and 36 hours standby typically on one charge. I'm using the i4s. It is not as good as what my i4 was giving me, however the i4s is a faster processor which will affect the battery life. Hopefully we see a big improvement with the next release of iOS5 update. I'm looking forward to it that's for sure!

candy84

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site
Same here... on beta 1 I would be lucky to get 5 hrs usage and a day of standby. For the past two days in a row I've gotten much improved results. Right now at exactly 50% I have 2hrs 57mins of usage and 16hrs 5mins of standby. Not bad at all if you ask me and a pretty sweet improvement. Here's to hoping it lasts (knocks on wood) and maybe even improves, but I don't wanna get greedy.

posts like this has me scared to update my iphone 4s...right now...5.0.1
i have 70% battery 2 hours 25 min usage and
22 hours 36 min of standby....

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
posts like this has me scared to update my iphone 4s...right now...5.0.1
i have 70% battery 2 hours 25 min usage and
22 hours 36 min of standby....

I agree with you Candy. I've been watching to see what kind of battery life people are getting on 5.1b2. I get great battery life 5.0.1 similar to what your getting, so honestly I may just pass on the update all together :) idk at this point.....

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Modernormal