Battery life issues?

Limegrntaln

Jul 11, 2009
Visit site
Im seeing battery meter issues with this OS. I ran the phone down to 3% in which it took another hour and a half for it to die, spending 22 minutes at 1%. This is not right. The battery meter is lying to people. I killed the phone and "aligned the battery meter with the OS" its much improved. 2.5 hours of standby now, 1 hour 15 minutes of use. Still at 94%

ECGcrackberry

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Well, I updated to 5.01 as soon as it came out. My battery life has definitely got WORSE, I should have stayed on v5.0.

I wished I hadn't bothered upgrading. My iP4 battery is as good as ever, also running 5.01.

Even if I kill all apps and do a cold boot, I can almost 'see' the battery percent dropping. I leave on the desk, come back an hour later and it's lost a percent or two. That's with everything killed. You don't buy a phone like this to have to disable everything!

Come on Apple....
me too. I just spent 3 hours on phone with applecare troubleshooting incl. reset. didnt work. They told me another patch will come out. I said how do I know my phone battery will work better then. Dont want to reload everything and rest after patch and be back at square one, wasting that many hours again. now have to replace phone. Trying to get an appointment within a reasonable time to pick up replacement.

jtrevill

Oct 11, 2010
Visit site
Not to beat a dead horse, but just to show the non-believers that there are battery issues. I'm running 5.0.1 with email push and notifications on, except weather and stocks. I restored when I upgraded to 5.0.1 and completely ran the battery to 0 and recharged. Here is a screenshot from this morning. 93% after 9 mins of usage and 1 1/2 hour standby. This will get me about 21 hours standby total. Nowhere near the 200 hours of standby advertised on apple.com.

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Is this good or bad for a 4s everything on except stocks in notification center ?

Sent Into Orbit from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

Philbaines

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
i think alot of this battery drain has got to come from the fact you cannot turn off 3G.

i rang up apple as im having issues with my 4s and asked this question.
The guy told me he thinks it does need to be able to be switched off and said he didnt really know why apple wont out this option on the 4S.

i dont need to be on 3G every minuite of the day and 3g does run your battery down alot.

Wallace

Dec 22, 2009
Visit site
i think a lot of this battery drain has got to come from the fact you cannot turn off 3G.

i rang up apple as I'm having issues with my 4s and asked this question.
The guy told me he thinks it does need to be able to be switched off and said he didn't really know why apple wont out this option on the 4S.

i don't need to be on 3G every minute of the day and 3g does run your battery down a lot.

I absolutely agree. On my i4 I always turned off 3G until I needed it. When enabled it did suck the juice out of the battery. That's why I turned it off!

I suppose its because of Siri. So you would think that if you turn off Siri, then the option to disable 3G would appear. Siri is good but not at the expense of battery life. I wouldn't really miss it apart from its novelty value.

My battery has gone from 100% to 88% in 55 minutes. Received one email and surfed a little. Very poor. Come on Apple. I suppose we will have to wait another month for an update now too!

I have tried restore as new, and switched off all I can think of but there is no difference at all.
It was much better on iOS 5.0

Last edited:

_heatherly

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site
Looks great, but I did top it off a little this morning before mass. But see what a little 30 minute charge can do? Easily last you well over a day.

Sent from my iPhone4S using Tapatalk!

Philbaines

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
I absolutely agree. On my i4 I always turned off 3G until I needed it. When enabled it did suck the juice out of the battery. That's why I turned it off!

I suppose its because of Siri. So you would think that if you turn off Siri, then the option to disable 3G would appear. Siri is good but not at the expense of battery life. I wouldn't really miss it apart from its novelty value.

My battery has gone from 100% to 88% in 55 minutes. Received one email and surfed a little. Very poor. Come on Apple. I suppose we will have to wait another month for an update now too!

I have tried restore as new, and switched off all I can think of but there is no difference at all.

sort of get that,but you could turn 3G on when you want to use siri.
its either all or nothing and if you turn off all celular data iMessage wont work.

Im booked in the genius bar (trafford centre) on thursday so ill let you know what they say.

Kristy_Lyn

Oct 28, 2011
Visit site
I'm getting approx 5.5 to 6 hours of usage and 1 day and 15 hours of standby on a 100% charge all the way down to zero! The hubby has my old iPhone4 and it is holding onto a charge a lot better than mine.

We tested both being charged at the same time with the same settings switched on his that are on mine...all except Siri, which is of couse on my is. Siri's raise to speak feature is off.

I feel as if has only gotten worse since the ios 5.0.1 was released. I've put in a service ticket with Apple just to see what they are saying about it. I'm interested to see what they say.

HeyGreggie

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
Looks great, but I did top it off a little this morning before mass. But see what a little 30 minute charge can do? Easily last you well over a day.

Sent from my iPhone4S using Tapatalk!

What you mean topping it off? How'd you get your stats to stay going even after plugging up

jtrevill

Oct 11, 2010
Visit site
I have to disagree about the 3G information. I had an Iphone 4 and never switched off the 3G and had much better battery life. My wife still has the Iphone 4 and still has far better battery than I do with the same version of IOS.

phazelag

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site
I am coming from an android phone so I have been amazed by the battery life. I have had no issues that I can tell. The first couple of days it burned quick due to me playing and I think it needed to break in some. But now even on heavy usage for me I am impressed.

Joe McG

Jun 9, 2009
Visit site
i think alot of this battery drain has got to come from the fact you cannot turn off 3G.

The guy told me he thinks it does need to be able to be switched off and said he didnt really know why apple wont out this option on the 4S.

i dont need to be on 3G every minuite of the day and 3g does run your battery down alot.

This is dead wrong. 3G has noting to do with it. This is a software issue. You should never have to turn off 3G

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site

I'm not buying it. iOS 4.x had the option to turn off 3G, but tell me, how many people actually did? Just because it was an option doesn't mean that anyone did. iOS 5.x's lack of 3G switch is immaterial IMHO.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site

Please explain the concept of owning a state-of-the-art smart phone that you turn off every feature to conserve battery... That is possibly the most stupid thing I have ever heard.

Siri is far more useful than as a "novelty"... I use it regularly to send texts while driving, to read text message to me, etc. It's a feature and a tool, not a novelty.

iVic

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
So far I dont have any complaints, I was use to charging my other phone around the same time I have to charge my iphone. So the prior iphone owners may know better from experiance, but hey, no complaints.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2