Battery life issues?

Judson50

Oct 16, 2011
Visit site
As an update, since doing all the above, I've streamed Pandora Radio since this last post and I am at 68% battery left.

it appears teh PUSH/Notifcation center is the isolated area of issue.

IMO

Pjr772

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
I brought my 4s to the genius bar the other day because of what seemed to be a software related constant crash issue. Without even hesitating they just replaced the phone. Talked to the guy at the genius bar about the battery issues and he basically said be patient and that they are very aware iOS5 is buggy. Talked about usage and standby times and how it's really all relative to the specific user and what they are doing with their usage time. Essentially what may be good battery life to me for say 4 hours of usage may not be for someone else. So comparing one phones battery life to another's is comparable if we have all done the exact same thing for the same amount of time. For example the screen shot shows where I sit right now. Couldn't tell for how long or how many times I've done these specific tasks but the usage is from 3G web browsing, multiple texts, three email accounts on hourly fetch schedule, Facebook, maps with location service for directions, words, music player for about 90 minutes and probably a few other things I a forgetting.

With all that said is there anyone with similar usage that can compare? Is this good battery life for this type of usage?

View attachment 11530

chronictacos

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
Im new to this "side" as Ive come from the android platform. but after downloading the newest os software 5.0.1 i feel like my battery life is depleting faster than it was at 5.0.0 and that was still bad for me compared to some other 4s owners. although the iphone last longer than any of my android phones i feel like its not living up to some of my other friends battery life...anyone else feel the new os 5.0.1 is draining at a faster rate?

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Im new to this "side" as Ive come from the android platform. but after downloading the newest os software 5.0.1 i feel like my battery life is depleting faster than it was at 5.0.0 and that was still bad for me compared to some other 4s owners. although the iphone last longer than any of my android phones i feel like its not living up to some of my other friends battery life...anyone else feel the new os 5.0.1 is draining at a faster rate?

Give it a few days to be sure since the update only came out today. You may see an improvement over the next 3 days.

06FG2

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
I didnt wanna make a new thread about this..

But I have an ipod touch..Not sure what generation, the back says its from year 2008 so yeah..Can I use the same cable for my 4s? Just to have a spare one with me? They look the same, the white part is the same thickness and yeah..Just wanna make sure it'll be 100% compatible.

Judson50

Oct 16, 2011
Visit site
Just so everyone is in loop.

My phone is running the following

177 System
172 Profiled
80 Mobile Phone
78 absinthed.n94
72 networkd
66btserver
61 aggregated
60 apsd
54 dataaccessed

I dont' know what any of these things do; but I've been awake for 50 minutes and lost 5% battery.

I've turned off the following:

• notification center - NOTHING goes into it.
  • All email is set to - manual
  • location services - off
  • I kill every app when i get out of it

Is this really how iPhone is? or is just a fluke until 5.0.1 comes out?

I came from a blackberry 9700 - which I know has the best battery on the market (easly 2 days w/ 6 emails, 4 twitter, 1 facebook all set to PUSH; Pandora stream for at minimum of 4 hours a day and heavy web surfing) I feel if I did that on an iPhone I would kill it in 4 hours.

Any thoughts? Is any of this realistic to expect from an iphone?

In my previous post, I had everything off, never ran more than one app, no wifi/location services. No notification center - nothing and was easily losing 10-15% bat life a hour.

Now, I have everything on, I mean everything location services, push everything and I just did 40 emails, tweeted, iMessage surfed the net and only lost 30% battery in 2.75 hours. And I am PUSHING this phone HARD.

Needed to say, I am VERY please with Apple's upgraded 5.0.1 os.

sprocket2107

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
Previously on iOS 5 I got extremely good battery life. I could go 2 days no problem. After iOS 5.0.1 came out I started getting really bad life. I just did a complete restore and activated the phone as new and that seemed to fix my problem. Just a little input for those still having sub par battery life.

b0bbYboy

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Reporting back

Installed the update 5.0.1 at 11:30am with 100% battery

It's 2:30am and I have 17% battery left with moderate use that BEFORE the update would last me half day...

Thank you for the update apple. I love my iPhone even more now :)

_heatherly

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site
Battery since switching to 5.0.1. Honestly, I don't feel a difference. But I never had a major battery issue before.

I6lnT.png

DrewBear

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
Here my usage, standby and battery % after 5.0.1 install and charge to 100%. Good, bad? I don't know. Still think my 4 was better.

2 hrs. use with 12 hrs. standby at 68% sounds fine. If you were on 3G all that time it might even be great.

Unless you plan to recharge every other day (40-48 hrs. standby), I think most people should fall into a routine of charging the phone every night while they sleep (16-20 hrs. standby). With that in mind, you have nothing to worry about at 68% after 12 hrs. standby.

Or am I missing something? Aside from some Blackberry models with small screens and users who spend most of their time messaging and emailing (lousy browser & few useful apps), what modern smartphone can go 2 full days of use without a recharge?

Just plug the phone in every night and use the heck out of it during the day. If you can't get through a normal day without excessive battery management (no constant turning this and that on & off), call Apple to complain and ask for help.

Forums always amplify the perception of a problem. It's the squeaky wheel syndrome, which is fine. Even if this issue affects less than 10% of iPhone users, it still deserves attention and a solution. iOS 5.0.1 seems to solve the issue for some with the problem, but not all. So Apple will try again with 5.0.2.

I know I'm going to risk flames for this next bit, but these iPhone battery issues pale in comparison to what Android phone users have been experiencing. First, those problems affect the majority of users rather than a minority. Second, there is little hope of a solution from either the carrier, phone manufacturer or Android. Even if Google released an OS update to help solve the issue, when will HTC, Samsung, Moto, etc. pass on the update to their devices?

So the solution for many Android users is to carry a charger with them, buy & keep a spare battery charged, install & manage a power management app.

Pjr772

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
2 hrs. use with 12 hrs. standby at 68% sounds fine. If you were on 3G all that time it might even be great.

Unless you plan to recharge every other day (40-48 hrs. standby), I think most people should fall into a routine of charging the phone every night while they sleep (16-20 hrs. standby). With that in mind, you have nothing to worry about at 68% after 12 hrs. standby.

Or am I missing something? Aside from some Blackberry models with small screens and users who spend most of their time messaging and emailing (lousy browser & few useful apps), what modern smartphone can go 2 full days of use without a recharge?

Just plug the phone in every night and use the heck out of it during the day. If you can't get through a normal day without excessive battery management (no constant turning this and that on & off), call Apple to complain and ask for help.

Forums always amplify the perception of a problem. It's the squeaky wheel syndrome, which is fine. Even if this issue affects less than 10% of iPhone users, it still deserves attention and a solution. iOS 5.0.1 seems to solve the issue for some with the problem, but not all. So Apple will try again with 5.0.2.

I know I'm going to risk flames for this next bit, but these iPhone battery issues pale in comparison to what Android phone users have been experiencing. First, those problems affect the majority of users rather than a minority. Second, there is little hope of a solution from either the carrier, phone manufacturer or Android. Even if Google released an OS update to help solve the issue, when will HTC, Samsung, Moto, etc. pass on the update to their devices?

So the solution for many Android users is to carry a charger with them, buy & keep a spare battery charged, install & manage a power management app.

I was on 3G the whole time and I do routinely charge it every night. All I want is for it to last from when I leave in the morning, 3:30, till I get home at night, 6-6:30. After that I don't use it all that much.

Pjr772

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site

I can vouch for the android batteries. Had a droid and a droid x and couldn't get though half a day with the battery.

jebulls

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Does any one use the tune in app? I was using it and then updated to the tune in pro last night. Now today my battery is much worse? Also I have had a few times where in the morning my battery isn't charged all the way to 100 percent when I wake up. This morning it was at 100 then after hitting snooze a few times when I got up it was at 94? Could this be an issue in the alarm clock?

gavinfabl

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
The screenshot was with iOS 5. I had push email off, and Siri raise to speak off. With 5.01 I have these options now on, along with everything else and getting even better battery. Can't upload photo on iPad but got 7 hours 36 mins usage and 1 day 5 hours standby with battery at 1%.

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I had no battery issues before with my 4s. Since upgrading yesterday morning, I hardly used the phone and my battery is being sucked dry. It has made it much worse.

Since you only did the update yesterday, I would give it a few days before getting worried that it is worse. You could have a proble with it but it is a little too early to tell after just one day.

Wallace

Dec 22, 2009
Visit site
Well, I updated to 5.01 as soon as it came out. My battery life has definitely got WORSE, I should have stayed on v5.0.

I wished I hadn't bothered upgrading. My iP4 battery is as good as ever, also running 5.01.

Even if I kill all apps and do a cold boot, I can almost 'see' the battery percent dropping. I leave on the desk, come back an hour later and it's lost a percent or two. That's with everything killed. You don't buy a phone like this to have to disable everything!

Come on Apple....