Battery life issues?

litt9817

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
Did a full restore as new phone last night, things are much better today. Battery stayed @ 100% for 2 hours with a few texts and emails. Before it would drop to 98% as soon as I took it off the charger. All locations, wifi, bluetooth, and notifications are turned on. I am sitting at 96% right now, about the same as my previous Iphone 4.

GibMcFragger

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
anyone else report on the facebook app?

My battery life has gone from total crap to phenomenal since i disabled FB push notifications and the weather widget in the notification shade. It's now on par with my previous iPhone 4.

I have dropped 4% in 3hrs with minor use (some surfing, etc).

Beamed over the interwebz from my iPhone 4S using Siri.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
My battery life has gone from total crap to phenomenal since i disabled FB push notifications and the weather widget in the notification shade. It's now on par with my previous iPhone 4.

I have dropped 4% in 3hrs with minor use (some surfing, etc).

Thanks for that tip. The settings were buried several layers deep. I turned them all off and now to see the effect.

BTW, I am still easily getting through the day with the 4S battery - but only have about 25-30% left at EOD as opposed to 40-45% with the iPhone 4.

lgreenberg

Dec 2, 2008
www.active.com
I'm using an iPhone cable - but the one that came with my 3GS, not the one in the 4S box.

Is the problem likely avoidable if I used the newer charger?

Not sure, the one that came with the box is worth a try.

I was using an iPhone dock and saw discharging while docked. When I switched to the regular cable it seemed to go away.

Still testing though.

06FG2

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
anyone else report on the facebook app?

Turned off most of the FB push notifications, yesterday mid day and my battery was much better..Then at night turned off ALL FB push notifications and currently with about 4-5 hours of heavy texting use, and some apps, i'm at 83%.

Oh, and also turned off the weather app in the notification bar.

pokey318

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site
I'm using an iPhone cable - but the one that came with my 3GS, not the one in the 4S box.

Is the problem likely avoidable if I used the newer charger?

I don't know about the 3gs cable, but the one for my 3g does not fit snug into the charging port. As long as I use the one from the box I am good, or one made for the 4. Maybe the cable slips out and isn't fully charging your phone.

I would definitely give the cable from the box a try and see if you have better results.

granadzo

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
I got my 4S on Friday and restored it from my 4 on Friday evening. Put it on charge overnight as usual and took it off charge around 7:30am on Saturday. As usual on a weekend, I didn't use it much. My 4 would usually end the day (around 11pm) with 70% battery left on a weekend. Weekday it would be around 50%. My 4S turned itself off at 9:30pm because it had run out of battery!

Charged it up again on Saturday night and the on Sunday it lasted a little better even though it still wasn't used much. Finished at 11pm with about 11% left although it had been topped up a little earlier.

It's been pretty much the same every day this week - nowhere near as good as the 4 and I've not been using it any more than my 4. If anything I've been using it less for fear of running out of battery when I need it!

Last night I did a restore through iTunes and set everything up as new - didn't use the backup. Same problem this morning with the battery running down very quickly (currently 92% and it's been off charge for 2hr 20mins).

One thing I've noticed is that the Usage figures (Settings->General->Usage) don't seem right. I've been noticing the "Usage" figure going up even though the phone has been locked. I know it goes up when it does certain background tasks, but yesterday it said "Standby 12hr 1min, Usage 9hr, 29min". There's no way I've used it for 9 hours yesterday.

This morning I've been turning things off one by one - bluetooth, push, siri, notifications, location, email, wifi, until finally putting it in airplane mode. No matter what, the usage still keeps going up (eg lock the phone, then unlock it a little while later and the standby has increased by 9 mins (correct) but the usage has increased by 7 mins). The only thing that stopped this usage increasing was when I put it into airplane mode.

I've also made sure I killed all the processes in the multitasking bar, reset network settings, reset the phone, restarted the phone, turned off location services....

My old 4 never did this and my wife's 4 only increases the usage when she is using it. The battery life I used to get on my 4 was excellent all the way through every beta of iOS 5 and when the final release was put on.

I'm in a really good signal area and I've not been moving around.

It looks to me like there is some rogue process running in the background and using too much power which only seems to affect the 4S. I've made an appointment with the Genius bar so hopefully it's just a dodgy hardware and it will be replaced and all will be good again. I guess it might be something in the iOS though and that will be sorted (hopefully!) in a point release very soon....

It's SIRI she is working in the background watching us and running functions without us knowing.

GibMcFragger

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
Crazy. I just watched a 1/2hr show using Netflix on my 4s and only lost 3% battery. Not bad, not bad at all.

Pjr772

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
My 4s seems a lot worse than my 4. Here is a screen shot if my usage and battery % left. Not a lot of heavy use. Twitter, email, text, phone, Siri a bit, find my friends(tracking my 10yr old all the time). Does this usage and battery % seem right?

View attachment 10979

Llorona19

Oct 20, 2011
Visit site
So last night, at around 3am, I unplugged my 4S and plugged in my iPad. When I woke up, my iPhone was down to 85%. Is anyone else experiencing this type of battery usage? My old iPhone would only be down to 98% when I did this before.

I can understand that during the day I a,using it a lot, but not when I'm asleep. Thoughts?

-John

You got to remember it is using an A-5 processor and Siri. If you havent already done so close any Applications that may be running by clicking the home button twice, and holding your finger down on the icons at the bottom, then when the red delte in the corner of the icon comes up tap it, do it for all apps running in the background. This may help a little

DamienTyler

Mar 20, 2009
Visit site
I was having a horrible time with battery life on my iPhone 4S compared to the 4, but I think I have finally found the culprit.

I tried turning off locations services for Siri and then auto brightness. I also cut down on my push email but none of that worked and frankly none of it was necessary to be turned off on my iPhone 4.

What I think the culprit is was location services for the weather app. Now that it is in the notification center, I think it was constantly updating and checking.

Since then, I am at 46% at 7:15pm after taking off of the charge at 7:30am.

Now THIS is the battery life I was looking for in my shiny new phone!

GibMcFragger

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
I was having a horrible time with battery life on my iPhone 4S compared to the 4, but I think I have finally found the culprit.

I tried turning off locations services for Siri and then auto brightness. I also cut down on my push email but none of that worked and frankly none of it was necessary to be turned off on my iPhone 4.

What I think the culprit is was location services for the weather app. Now that it is in the notification center, I think it was constantly updating and checking.

Since then, I am at 46% at 7:15pm after taking off of the charge at 7:30am.

Now THIS is the battery life I was looking for in my shiny new phone!

That may be. I faulted the Facebook app push notifications because the battery life went up when I disabled them, BUT I also disabled the weather widget at the same time. It may actually be that.

I am now down to 65% after 10hrs of moderate usage. Much better than before.

Last edited:

goldflinger

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
You got to remember it is using an A-5 processor and Siri. If you havent already done so close any Applications that may be running by clicking the home button twice, and holding your finger down on the icons at the bottom, then when the red delte in the corner of the icon comes up tap it, do it for all apps running in the background. This may help a little

So, what does this do? I had a bunch of Apps there! Is this just turning them off. If you select them do they turn back on?

jsntrenkler

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
Mine seems slightly worse than it was on the the iP4 however much better than what I was getting on the Galaxy S2 so far. Will take another day or two of usage to be sure.

06FG2

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
Took my phone off the charger around 8:00am been using it all day..Now 10:30pm..

5 hours of usage
14.5 hours standy

Phone is at 44%.

So far i turned off, the weather app, facebook push, siri, auto brightness, always checking to see what apps are running, time zone, and a few other things and the battery seems to be lasting alot better..The first night, i was at 12% when i ended the night, last night at 20ish, and today about the same time i'm at 44% overall i say its getting much better.

I am now quite pleased with the phone.

peterthomas

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
So last night, at around 3am, I unplugged my 4S and plugged in my iPad. When I woke up, my iPhone was down to 85%. Is anyone else experiencing this type of battery usage? My old iPhone would only be down to 98% when I did this before.

I can understand that during the day I a,using it a lot, but not when I'm asleep. Thoughts?

-John

I would like to hear if you have siri activated or not? As siri is not only an application in itself but it also keeps the gps turned on to keep a track of your location so thats why one has to be careful about this. As it drains a lot of battery!
Also keeping timezone off will help you a little, still if there is a problem, then i guess you have a hardware problem.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR