Battery life issues?

Kylazin

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
None of this battery drain is normal. You need to restore the device. If that doesn't work, take it back and exchange.

I took my 4S off of the charger yesterday at 6:00 AM. I used it heavily all day and it was at 10% at 9:00 PM last night. My usage was over 9 hours.

Yeah, I guess I don't have a choice. If I bought the phone through Sprint can I take it to an Apple store? Or do I need to go to the Sprint store?

skeletongloves

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
My battery life is definitely worse on my 4S than it was on my 4. I could easily make it two full days on my 4 without worrying about turning off 3G or push or wifi. I finished charging my 4S at 3:30 yesterday and its at 15% right now...

hoosieriphone

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site
I honestly think this is an IOS5 related issue... my iphone 4 has terrible battery life since i've upgraded to the new ios, and I have yet to find a resolution.

I had the same issue when I upgraded to iOS5. I did find the solution.... You need to restore the phone to factory settings, as in "New". Then you can download iOS5. After that your phone will sync and download all that you backed up. Mine works great now. When I first downloaded iOS5, my battery was terrible. It would go from 100% to less than 20% in 3 to 4 hours !!!! Now it is working great. Hope this helps.

timberga

Jun 24, 2009
Visit site
None of this battery drain is normal. You need to restore the device. If that doesn't work, take it back and exchange.

I took my 4S off of the charger yesterday at 6:00 AM. I used it heavily all day and it was at 10% at 9:00 PM last night. My usage was over 9 hours.

Okay, and how do you use your phone? I mean, I can say that I have 0392840938 days of usage, but I might not be doing much on the device to "push" it....just listening to iPod music is MUCH less taxing than 3G data connections.....give some details that can be of some use!

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
There are a few apps in the app store for conditioning your battery. I use Battery Doctor, and it seems to have helped a bit. Not sure, given what you are reporting, that you don't have a battery problem, but it might be worth a shot.

Kylazin

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
My battery life has been excellent so far. I haven't been hammering the phone just for the sake of hammering it, but have been using it like normal. It's been almost 3 days since I last charged it. This is considerably better than my 3GS and a HUGE difference compared to the Droid Bionic. Yeah, the Bionic has true 4G capability, but at least I can use the 4S without having to charge it twice a day.

Wait, did you say 3 DAYS?! That is INSANE! I don't even have many apps on my phone and I don't even use it all that much! I'll be lucky to get 10-12 HOURS. Tell me your secret.

boomhower1820

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
Battery is not getting any better. Sitting around the house doing almost nothing yesterday and it went down to 60% in about five hours. That's worse than my OG Droid. There has to be something going on here.

Kylazin

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
Made an appointment with the local Genius Bar. They think if there is an issue they can swap out the battery on my phone. I hate seeing my brand new phone dissected, but I guess I don't have much choice. I want 9 hours of usage time too! =P

chrisvee

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
Compared to my girlfriend's iPhone 4, my battery is crap!

I'll give it a couple weeks. If my battery doesn't get better, I'll be paying the Genius Bar a visit.

ruggerdude

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
I was having fairly poor battery life, 12 hours and down to about 25% with normal work usage. I disabled the icloud stuff and now at 12 hours have right around 60%. Makes sense, the more you use the phone the more files,pics, etc... that get uploaded to the icloud and more data being pushed, wifi or otherwise.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Some of you guys really need to understand that the WORST time to gauge battery life on a phone is immediately or even remotely near the release of the new hardware...because you are using it FAR more often than you would normally, setting things up and what not...the battery life, on average, will be lower right now than it will a few weeks from now when you're in your normal flow again.

To speak on the 4S though, i have noticed the battery life to be slightly less than the iPhone 4...but again, i revert back to what i said above, as i have DEFINITELY been using it more than i would normally.

Also...Siri hates your iPhone battery. :p

sprocket2107

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
I apologize in advance for the dumb question but what happens when you run out of those charge cycles? Do I just go to Apple and have them replace it? And how can i check on those charge cycles?

Joe McG

Jun 9, 2009
Visit site
Okay, and how do you use your phone? I mean, I can say that I have 0392840938 days of usage, but I might not be doing much on the device to "push" it....just listening to iPod music is MUCH less taxing than 3G data connections.....give some details that can be of some use!

My apologies. You are right.

I am on wifi all day. My screen brightness is about 40% and set to automatic. I listen to a few hours of streaming audio via Tunein Radio. I check twitter, Facebook, and play words with friends. I talk on the phone for maybe 30 minutes. Push data is on, bluetooth is on, but not used. Location services is on. I used Siri a few times.

At the end of the day, I was 9 hours usage and 10% battery life. Most of this usage is reading and words with friends.

DrewBear

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
I apologize in advance for the dumb question but what happens when you run out of those charge cycles? Do I just go to Apple and have them replace it? And how can i check on those charge cycles?

You'll notice decreasing battery life as you approach 400 full charge cycles. You can let Apple replace the battery for ~$80 or buy a DIY kit for ~$25.

I'm sure there are apps to view battery health & number of charge cycles.

b0bbYboy

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
iPhone 4S battery life

Im a previous DROID X user and having it for more than a year I learned the inside and outs of android and how not to improve battery life cause it only makes it worse. Anyways, Ive had my iPhone 4S since Friday and I have noticed a terrible battery life. As we speak I started writing this post in safari at 86% of battery and now I'm at 84%. That's ridiculous! Not to mention how people say to disable this, disable that...
I am not disabling anything, I bought a smartphone to do everything it has to offer! With my DROID X I had never had to disable anything. The push notifications ARE far way superior than iOS 5. The second I had an email on my computer that's the second it would get pushed to my DROID X. Don't get me wrong I love this phone but battery life is just unacceptable. Why offer all those features if you have to disabled em to barely survive with the battery?

I'm at 82% now, I can almost literally watch the battery percentage go down like countdown. Don't tell me to turn anything off! Only thing I have off is Bluetooth cause I sure don't use it at all.

On a related note, it might be calibration issues. Last night I had 3% 2% for like 20 mins and 1% of batter for like 30 minutes. 81% now... I'm disappointed :(

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
forwardsmychoice