Battery life issues?

Snownation

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
Restoring with a backup will always leave behind old folders of apps which you deleted, some of which still suck up usage.

The way to eliminate it is to set up as new. But for some people, it's not an option. It's only because it's convenient to have our old data that we do it. If you backup everything manually, you could give restoring as new a shot.

I've restored as new, and with wifi and 3G on, and a bucketload of apps on multitask, the entire night from 11pm to 7am, charge went from 100% to 99%.

Reactions: Blackvalk

Kylazin

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
Restoring with a backup will always leave behind old folders of apps which you deleted, some of which still suck up usage.

The way to eliminate it is to set up as new. But for some people, it's not an option. It's only because it's convenient to have our old data that we do it. If you backup everything manually, you could give restoring as new a shot.

I've restored as new, and with wifi and 3G on, and a bucketload of apps on multitask, the entire night from 11pm to 7am, charge went from 100% to 99%.

Seriously? That's INCREDIBLY good battery life.

davidra

Dec 12, 2006
Visit site
Push has nothing to do with you receiving text messages.

So IM does but text messaging does not? From the battery management thread by Apple:

Turn off push notifications: Some applications from the App Store use the Apple Push Notification Service to alert you of new data. Those applications that extensively rely on push notifications (such as instant messaging applications) may impact battery life. To disable push notifications, go to Settings > Notifications and set Notifications to Off. Note that this does not prevent new data from being received when the application is opened. Also, the Notifications setting will not be visible if you do not have any applications installed that support push notifications.

And as a follow-up, are there any well-made battery extenders that do attach to the bottom of phone? There are some things that the iPhone clearly is lacking (not that I didn't know about them before I got the phone), like a notification system that is even slightly reasonable and a replaceable battery. Hey, if you don't like a blinking LED, turn it off. My previous phone had notifications that showed up on a lock screen, controllable LED's, settings for individual email accounts...in other words, a good system. No reason for Apple to leave that out.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
So IM does but text messaging does not? From the battery management thread by Apple:

Turn off push notifications: Some applications from the App Store use the Apple Push Notification Service to alert you of new data. Those applications that extensively rely on push notifications (such as instant messaging applications) may impact battery life. To disable push notifications, go to Settings > Notifications and set Notifications to Off. Note that this does not prevent new data from being received when the application is opened. Also, the Notifications setting will not be visible if you do not have any applications installed that support push notifications.

And as a follow-up, are there any well-made battery extenders that do attach to the bottom of phone? There are some things that the iPhone clearly is lacking (not that I didn't know about them before I got the phone), like a notification system that is even slightly reasonable and a replaceable battery. Hey, if you don't like a blinking LED, turn it off. My previous phone had notifications that showed up on a lock screen, controllable LED's, settings for individual email accounts...in other words, a good system. No reason for Apple to leave that out.

You can turn push off and your texts would still come. You would just have to manually check the message app there would be no pop up notification. Notifications do show up on lock screen. Iphone never had an led. I mean if you need an led then the iphone isnt for you, but it isnt like this is new this has been that way since day 1. Should have done a little research about a "good system" as you call it. I tried other os and got tired of the poor battery life and issues with android so thats why i switched to IOS.

Joe McG

Jun 9, 2009
Visit site
Ok. This thread is making me slightly uncomfortable. Battery life was supposed to be the one thing I wouldn't have to worry about coming to the iPhone. Now it seems that I will be dealing with the same issues I dealt with on android. Except with android all I had to do is buy an extended battery and problem solved. Wondering if there are extended batteries for the iPhone. Because isn't the battery built into the phone where it cannot be replaced with a bigger one? Does that mean the extended battery is something that hangs off of the phone? I haven't received my phone yet but when I do I would like to know what my options are. Any info is appreciated.

Count

Don't worry about the battery life. It's great. Mine lasts all day with heavy usage.

You can get external batteries and battery cases but I don't think it's necessary.

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Well, I would have to say that the battery life on my 4S is pretty darn good. This is what I got after only doing one full charge. I expect it to get a little better by it's third full charge.

View attachment 10850

Sent from my iPad 2 using Tapatalk

boomhower1820

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
Sounds right if you're on 3G; not quite normal if you were on WiFi. Did you have the screen on during those 5 hrs.? Was Pandora playing in the background while you were doing other things on the phone?

The screen was primarily off. I would turn it on to rate a song and back off it would go. A couple minutes of browsing here and there, a couple very short calls, and a few texts but mainly just the music. This was on 3G. My job involves a lot of driving so I use a ton of 3G.

davidra

Dec 12, 2006
Visit site
You can turn push off and your texts would still come. You would just have to manually check the message app there would be no pop up notification. Notifications do show up on lock screen. Iphone never had an led. I mean if you need an led then the iphone isnt for you, but it isnt like this is new this has been that way since day 1. Should have done a little research about a "good system" as you call it. I tried other os and got tired of the poor battery life and issues with android so thats why i switched to IOS.

Research? As I said...I was well aware of the deficiencies of the notification system before I bought it. And if someone made a WebOS phone with good hardware, believe me, I wouldn't have bought it. And don't worry, after spending time with my wife's Android, that was never an option. I don't NEED an LED; it's just something that makes the phone more usable. Do you actually mean to say you haven't seen threads with people complaining about it? The notification system is primitive. All phones are a trade-off, and the pluses of this phone more than make up for the negatives....but that doesn't mean they aren't still negatives.

BMWGSrider

Oct 15, 2011
Visit site
At first my battery seemed like it wasn't lasting very long, but after a full charge last night it seems to actually be pretty good.

I went from 100% charge showing down to 1% in about 10.5 hours, on the usage page it was showing about 5.75 hours of use, of which most was playing Angry Birds (I feel like a freak, but I'm hooked), showing Siri to some friends, a few phone calls, etc. I'm not sure what constitutes "usage", but assume it's pretty much any time the screen is on and an app or something is running?

Watching the battery meter it does look like Angry Birds runs it down fairly quick, which I suppose makes sense. It would be cool if the battery was really easy to replace like a Blackberry, it would be easy to keep an extra charged battery and pop it in. Overall, I think it will provide enough battery life to keep me happy.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
Research? As I said...I was well aware of the deficiencies of the notification system before I bought it. And if someone made a WebOS phone with good hardware, believe me, I wouldn't have bought it. And don't worry, after spending time with my wife's Android, that was never an option. I don't NEED an LED; it's just something that makes the phone more usable. Do you actually mean to say you haven't seen threads with people complaining about it? The notification system is primitive. All phones are a trade-off, and the pluses of this phone more than make up for the negatives....but that doesn't mean they aren't still negatives.

Yeah well we all see where webos is right now so that isn't going to happen anytime soon. I agree webos does have the best notifications but ios5 brings notifications close to what is on android.

decarlo4

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
I tested the battery life today. Charged it overnight and unplugged from charger @ 7 am. It was completely charged 100% but after an hour it was down to 97%. I have used it lightly throughout the day...emails, texts, forums and short phone calls. Now at 9:30 pm my battery is down to 13%. I'm going to let it completely drawn and then charge it completely and try again tomorrow.

I know with my iPhone 4 with medium usage I never get down to 20%...unless I use the phone heavily i.e. lots of emails, surfing the web, texts and long phone calls.

I'm hoping that after a couple of complete cycles the battery will stabilize.

Kylazin

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
Yeah. Seeing some of these posts my battery is definitely defective. I won't get battery life like that in airplane mode. I'll get from 8 am to maybe 5 pm. I'll have to stop by Apple this week and try to get my phone replaced.

DrewBear

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
I don't NEED an LED; it's just something that makes the phone more usable.

I found the blinking light on my Palm Pre+ annoying, but that's just me. I thought I read somewhere that you could set the 4S LED flash to blink when new notifications arrived. Something to do with the accessibility settings? But then you'd have to put the screen face down to notice the blinking light.

I don't think any phone can be all things to all people. That's why it's great we have the choice we do. Just about every phone is a compromise to some people.

RobActivatesiOS5

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
About average

I'd say my battery life is slightly worse than what it was on iOS 5 iPhone 4. Very slightly. Although I'm almost certain that that has to do with one of two things: Using the phone and Siri incessantly because of its newness, or because of the battery needing some sort of calibration (or both). In any case, I haven't had any of the discharging issues (I charge my phone everywhere lol), and it charges fast, as iPhones are known to do. It'll reach 100 reliably and stay there until I unplug it.

In essence, approximately the same battery life as the iPhone 4, give or take 30 minutes. Definitely not complaining, especially considering that it'll probably get better as the battery gets cycled through.

davidra

Dec 12, 2006
Visit site
I found the blinking light on my Palm Pre+ annoying, but that's just me. I thought I read somewhere that you could set the 4S LED flash to blink when new notifications arrived. Something to do with the accessibility settings? But then you'd have to put the screen face down to notice the blinking light.

I don't think any phone can be all things to all people. That's why it's great we have the choice we do. Just about every phone is a compromise to some people.

It would be fine if the accessibility LED served as a notification light, but in fact it blinks once when the email/text comes in, then doesn't continue to blink. Why bother to program that into the phone, when clearly it would take very little more to have it continue to blink, or at least offer it as an option?

DreamOutLoud65

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
Coming from a crappy blackberry bold 9650 where I had to charge it at least twice a day.. My 4S went over 24 hrs without a charge. I was using it all day and when I went to bed last night it had 23% so I went ahead and put on the charger for the day anyways since I am working today..

wow for me.. this is just so great and makes me so happy that I choose it over a droid phone.. :)

Lend273

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
My first full day was fair as far as battery life. Pretty heavy use, was down to 7 % when I went to bed.
Charged all night. Was at 100 % when I got up yesterday am.
Went into settings and turned off everything I didn't need on, turned off notifications on everything I didn't need, and also turned off location services on everything I didn't need.
Put it on charge around 8 pm, it was fully charged at 11:30 pm so I took it off charge and let it sit all night unplugged.
Woke up this am and it was still at 100% charge. No loss while sitting for 6 hours.
I'll monitor it through the day and see how it holds up on a normal work day. So far so good.
On a normal work day, my android would be down to 15 % by the time I got home at 6 pm, and I would put it on charge til the next am.
We'll see today how the iPhone compares to the android I had.

Len

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox