Mine did that the first two nights. I experimented with charging it via computer and didn't have that problem. Last night I switched the outlet my charger was plugged into, and the phone stayed at 100%. It dropped to 99% at one point, but went back to 100%. Check your outlet and the little box charger they give you.
    10-17-2011 10:23 AM
    I'm getting excellent battery life apps running surfing gaming about 10 hours nonstop use pretty much I'm addicted

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    10-17-2011 10:25 AM
    Yeah, battery life seems so varied amongst different people. Nonstop use I'd never get 10 hours.
    10-17-2011 10:29 AM
    Battery life the first day was poor for me. Then I realized that Bluetooth was on for no reason. Turning that off helped. But the phone is so awesome that I couldn't put it down so my battery life was still draining pretty fast. I decided to get one of those Mophie juice plus cases. I took the phone off the charger at 7am. It is 10:30 am and half of the battery from the Mophie case is still there. I have sent about 100 texts, played Tiger Woods and Homerun battle for about an hour, made some phone calls, browsed the web, made a facetime call to the wife at home sick, and listened to music. I'm stoked. Looks like I will be able to go all day and then some while using my phone heavily.

10-17-2011 11:26 AM
    took my phone off charger at 230am got up at 7am and it was still 100% around 8 i used gps to get somewhere and it dropped pretty fast to about 88% in 25min then used it pretty much non stop and i am at 53% and its 11:44 my droid would be dead lol
    10-17-2011 11:44 AM
    My Droid Incredible lasted ALL day without issue. Mind you, it was rooted with and flashed with Cyanogenmod, but it easily doubled the lifespan I'm getting from my iPhone.
    10-17-2011 11:53 AM
    Also if you have push notification setup, your battery will drain quicker as the phone is constantly refreshing itself.
    10-17-2011 12:00 PM
    Is it true that your battery health will stay intact better if you all ways let it die before charging again? Or urban myth?
    10-17-2011 12:23 PM
    Is it true that your battery health will stay intact better if you all ways let it die before charging again? Or urban myth?
    I think that used to be true of older battery technologies. Apple's main advice is to charge the battery erratically: at 50%, 10%, 80%, etc. And once every several weeks let the battery drain completely until the phone shuts down on it's own before charging it completely back to 100%.
    patricksmangan likes this.
    10-17-2011 12:31 PM
    I am pretty happy here so far. After a few days of hard use around the house with charging during the day over the weekend today is the 1st real test. I am 7 hour in and at 65%. I have everything on and mail fetch for two accounts at 15 mins. My droid would have been on battery number two by now.

Question. How often should one close apps. I just now learned how and had like 20 running.

Thanks and happy to be a iPhone member.
    10-17-2011 01:12 PM
    How often should one close apps. I just now learned how and had like 20 running.
    In theory we're not supposed to worry about it. On my iPad 1 things sometimes slow down if certain apps are in that "running" tray (they're not really fully active). Speed improves when I close some of those. But I'm not going to do that with my 4S until I notice slower performance.
    10-17-2011 01:24 PM
    Also if you have push notification setup, your battery will drain quicker as the phone is constantly refreshing itself.
    Shouldn't that not be the case? I thought the whole purpose of Push was so that it didn't drain the battery because instead of constantly checking it instead is "pushed" an update when it comes out.
    10-17-2011 02:25 PM
    Shouldn't that not be the case? I thought the whole purpose of Push was so that it didn't drain the battery because instead of constantly checking it instead is "pushed" an update when it comes out.
    That's correct. Push notifications are pretty efficient. You really save nothing by turning off push notifications. If you're getting constant push messages ever minute, then sure it'll use power as the screen turns on every thime, but that's in extreme cases.

Now push mail is a different story. When no mail is coming in, you'll use very little power. I can go all day with barely any battery drain. If you're getting new mail frequently, then it'll significantly affect your battery as each new mail is delivered (especially if you read them.)
    10-17-2011 02:43 PM
    Here's another set of suggestions if you're having battery life issues.
    iOS 5 Battery Life Worse? Fix Draining Battery Problems with these Tips
    10-17-2011 02:46 PM
    With older ni-cad batteries, it's imperative that you let them discharge fully before recharging them.
    But these use lithium-ion batteries. You do not need to fully discharge the battery. In fact, it's bad for the battery to fully discharge it every time. And it's best to not let this kind of battery go all the way down.
    About once a month it's not bad to let it go all the way down. That happens to me without me even trying. But on a regular basis it's best to just charge it as frequently as you like or at 30-40%.
    And you can top it off regularly without hurting the battery.

With past iPhones I always just plug them in whenever possible and I've never had an issue with battery life.

A little more here:
    How to Prolong Lithium-based Batteries - Battery University
    patricksmangan likes this.
    10-17-2011 02:50 PM
    My first full day was fair as far as battery life. Pretty heavy use, was down to 7 % when I went to bed.
    Charged all night. Was at 100 % when I got up yesterday am.
    Went into settings and turned off everything I didn't need on, turned off notifications on everything I didn't need, and also turned off location services on everything I didn't need.
    Put it on charge around 8 pm, it was fully charged at 11:30 pm so I took it off charge and let it sit all night unplugged.
    Woke up this am and it was still at 100% charge. No loss while sitting for 6 hours.
    I'll monitor it through the day and see how it holds up on a normal work day. So far so good.
    On a normal work day, my android would be down to 15 % by the time I got home at 6 pm, and I would put it on charge til the next am.
    We'll see today how the iPhone compares to the android I had.

Len
    Each day you use it, the battery should perform better. Usually when iPhones are brand new they get about 1/2 the battery life than they do after 2 weeks of normal use.
    It's difficult to figure out if the phone is draining the power quickly or if it's just because it's a new battery. I'm seeing some pretty substantial drops through the day and I'm trying not to get too excited until the battery has broken in a bit. It seems like I see this every year with a new iPhone but it always gets better.
    ajm91484 likes this.
    10-17-2011 02:52 PM
    I don't post here much, as this forum has such a wealth of information that I have little to add. That said, I came here looking for info about battery life because my new 4S had such abysmal battery life when I first got it that I had to know if everyone else was if getting the same thing.

When I first got my 4S, I restored from backup as I have a large number of apps and data that I would have had to restore manually if I set up my 4S as a new phone. I have had an iPhone 3G, 3GS, AT&T iPhone 4, and Verizon iPhone 4. Each time I changed, I restored from a backup of the previous phone. I can only imagine how much crap got restored from phone to phone, and numerous iOS upgrades.

Anyway, my iPhone 4S was draining the battery at a rate of 1% an hour when idle, and I could easily lose 15% an hour if actively texting or surfing the web. Last night, I bit the bullet. I wiped the phone and started over. What a pain! It took a while to restore everything back to normal, but battery life is now excellent and comparable to my iPhone 4 when it was new.

If you are suffering from poor iPhone 4S battery life and you haven't done this, try it. It just might work for you.
    10-17-2011 03:52 PM
    I don't like to hold back on my usage. This phone is too awesome to not use it the way it is meant to be used. I went to Verizon over the weekend and bought the Mophie Juice Plus case and I haven't put the phone down since I've taken it off the charger this morning at 7am. I have used it to send over a hundred texts, some emails, a dozen phone calls, video call, played video games for about an hour and a half, on tapatalk, web browsing, used gps, played a video for co-workers, and listened to music. I'm at 83 percent. That's awesome to me.

10-17-2011 04:49 PM
    another thing to check is an improperly setup exchange account on the phone. such as ssl not being checked and having the wrong password will cause an iphone that would normally last a full day, to drain in a matter of hours..... found this out the hard way this weekend.
    10-17-2011 05:00 PM
    ...my iPhone 4S was draining the battery at a rate of 1% an hour when idle, and I could easily lose 15% an hour if actively texting or surfing the web. Last night, I bit the bullet. I wiped the phone and started over. What a pain! It took a while to restore everything back to normal, but battery life is now excellent and comparable to my iPhone 4 when it was new.

If you are suffering from poor iPhone 4S battery life and you haven't done this, try it. It just might work for you.
    That's good to know. I did not restore from a previous iOS device profile, but I did connect to iTunes to set up my 4S. No problems going that route.
    10-17-2011 05:08 PM
    I've gotta say, coming from an android phone, anyone who complains about the battery of this phone CLEARLY has never used an android phone before. This phone's battery life is amazing to me compared to my past phones.
    10-17-2011 07:22 PM
    Guys tell me how my battery life is compared to yalls.

Battery is at 32%

Screen brightness 55-60%

Usage 4 Hours and 23 minutes
    Standby 20 hours 1 minute

Call Time - 2 hours and 21 minutes

Data
    Sent - 12.3 MB
    Received - 130 MB

Are these decent numbers compared to everyone else
    10-17-2011 07:44 PM
    Stupid question, sorry if its been said alot..This is my first iphone and I'm just wondereing..

If lets say i go to bed at 11:00pm thats when i connect my phone to charge..I wake up at 10:30am..and unplug it when i wake up..Will i have any effect on the battery if Its still plugged in at 100% for a few hours? lets say at 2am its fully charged and I don't unplug it until 10:30. (thats at the absolute latest)

In short, If i 'over charge' will i ruin the battery?
    10-17-2011 07:45 PM
    Stupid question, sorry if its been said alot..This is my first iphone and I'm just wondereing..

If lets say i go to bed at 11:00pm thats when i connect my phone to charge..I wake up at 10:30am..and unplug it when i wake up..Will i have any effect on the battery if Its still plugged in at 100% for a few hours? lets say at 2am its fully charged and I don't unplug it until 10:30. (thats at the absolute latest)

In short, If i 'over charge' will i ruin the battery?
    I don't think the phone will let u overcharge it. On another note u get way way more sleep than me.
    10-17-2011 08:37 PM
    I don't think the phone will let u overcharge it. On another note u get way way more sleep than me.
    Maybe overcharging is a bad word to use..if i keep it plugged in for hours on end with 100% battery will it damage the battery?

And well 10:30 is just over shooting it..I wake up around 8. 8:30 if im lucky hahah
    10-17-2011 08:45 PM
734 ... 45678 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD