hello all!

i am having a somewhat strange issue.

i have left my iphone on the charge all night, but it only gets up to 92%, it does not go the full 100% charge. does anybody know why?

thank you!
    10-16-2011 10:23 AM
    hello all!

i have left my iphone on the charge all night, but it only gets up to 92%, it does not go the full 100% charge. does anybody know why?

thank you!
    My 4 did that occasionally. Never found out why, but it didn't really bother me ether.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.
    10-16-2011 10:27 AM
    did it ever charge to 100%?
    10-16-2011 10:30 AM
    That is really weird, With all apple products they usually charge to 100 and then shut off power that they had to them until they get below a certain level. That is interesting that it didn't even reach 100%
    10-16-2011 10:32 AM
    I honestly think this is an IOS5 related issue... my iphone 4 has terrible battery life since i've upgraded to the new ios, and I have yet to find a resolution.
    I haven't seen any change in battery life after the iOS 5 update. Both my iPhone 4 and new 4S are still seeing 6+ hours of usage with over 24 hours of standby time. The battery life could be an issue for some but not all.
    10-16-2011 10:35 AM
    I haven't seen any change in battery life after the iOS 5 update. Both my iPhone 4 and new 4S are still seeing 6+ hours of usage with over 24 hours of standby time. The battery life could be an issue for some but not all.
    Wow you're very lucky! I wish I could say the same, but I'm going to keep using it for a while and just hope it gets better.
    10-16-2011 10:38 AM
    Not impressed so far at all with the battery life. I woke up this morning with a full charge, have used the phone moderately (no music, videos, etc, almost all location services off, wifi disabled, good reception area) over a span of 2.5 hrs and I'm down to 65%. For another example, I left the house last night at 6 pm with over 95% after pulling it off the charger and it died at 9:30 pm. Again, no significant usage and all location services were off, both email accounts switched to fetch, etc.

I switched to this phone from a Thunderbolt 4G with the main goal of increasing my battery life, so far I'm pretty disappointed. It's already had multiple full charge cycles through it. Possible defective battery?
    10-16-2011 10:40 AM
    Wow you're very lucky! I wish I could say the same, but I'm going to keep using it for a while and just hope it gets better.
    Are you in an area with good network coverage? Reason I ask is that if your iPhone is trying to hold on to a signal or constantly switching between a 2G/3G/HSPA+, it can drain your battery more quickly.
    10-16-2011 10:43 AM
    I'm impressed with the battery life so far. I'm getting over 6+ hours of usage with over 24 hours of standby time which is good enough for me.
    10-16-2011 10:50 AM
    hello all!

thank you!
    I would try cycling the battery a bit. Charge fully, use until dead, charge fully. See if that fixes it.

The battery meter is simply measuring the current level coming from the battery. It is calibrated by software so cycling it will re-calibrate.
    10-16-2011 10:53 AM
    Not impressed so far at all with the battery life. I woke up this morning with a full charge, have used the phone moderately (no music, videos, etc, almost all location services off, wifi disabled, good reception area) over a span of 2.5 hrs and I'm down to 65%. For another example, I left the house last night at 6 pm with over 95% after pulling it off the charger and it died at 9:30 pm. Again, no significant usage and all location services were off, both email accounts switched to fetch, etc.

I switched to this phone from a Thunderbolt 4G with the main goal of increasing my battery life, so far I'm pretty disappointed. It's already had multiple full charge cycles through it. Possible defective battery?
    It sure sounds like the battery may be defective. I hate to keep saying that, but that kind of battery life can't be normal.
    10-16-2011 10:54 AM
    Are you in an area with good network coverage? Reason I ask is that if your iPhone is trying to hold on to a signal or constantly switching between a 2G/3G/HSPA+, it can drain your battery more quickly.
    Yeah, I am. That was a problem back at home. At school, where I am now, I always have 4-5 bars of 3g. I never run into issues where I have a low signal.
    10-16-2011 10:55 AM
    I have about 6 minutes of use and 44 minutes of standby and I'm still at 100%. The 'honeymoon' phase from getting a new phone is already over for me so I'm down to my regular usage (which is barely none with the exception of high data usage). I'll be starting work in a few hours and I have an 8 hour shift, so I'll be able to comment how the phone did for a regular work day (which is whats most important anyways). Hopefully I'll be pleased with the results.
    10-16-2011 10:58 AM
    I am under extended network (roaming) most of the time where I currently live with Verizon. Would this be the cause? I don't see how it could make this much of a difference. I cannot get good service without being on extended, so I can't turn roaming off. Any tips?
    10-16-2011 11:09 AM
    I am under extended network (roaming) most of the time where I currently live with Verizon. Would this be the cause? I don't see how it could make this much of a difference. I cannot get good service without being on extended, so I can't turn roaming off. Any tips?
    Yes that can cause battery drain more if you are in extended service or poor service area. Try dialing *22899 for the prl update that should help with service.
    Blackvalk likes this.
    10-16-2011 11:50 AM
    Turn wifi off when you sleep and I bet it wont discharge again while on charger. My i4 use to do that. Once battery is fully charged, it doesnt charge again until down to 90% and wifi some how cause it to drain in stand by.
    I leave my wifi on all the time on my iphone 4 and it does not discharge while on the charger. It has never drained while on the charger.
    10-16-2011 11:59 AM
    I do need to get my e-mails at night, even when I'm sleeping, yes. I wasn't really complaining, just adding in my observations, and stating I may need to go back to my Android. Some of you iFaithful need to notch it down.
    There is something wrong with your phone. I am on wifi almost 95% of the time, when at home and at work, day and night, plugged or unplugged. I have not had my iphone 4 discharge while on the charger and wifi on. Never, ever.
    10-16-2011 12:02 PM
    Is this also true for the iPad & iPod? I charge my iOS devices overnight and they're always at 100% in the morning. I always leave wifi on.
    I have the same experience as you do.
    10-16-2011 12:03 PM
    There is something wrong with your phone. I am on wifi almost 95% of the time, when at home and at work, day and night, plugged or unplugged. I have not had my iphone 4 discharge while on the charger and wifi on. Never, ever.
    Well that sucks. I'll be taking it back to Sprint I guess. Very disappointed in Apple.
    10-16-2011 12:59 PM
    Didn't complain, stated what was going on with my phone like every other person on this thread. I also have no intention of returning the phone. I've also read the battery tips. I would like to congratulate you on ignoring all the other posts that basically said the same exact things and calling me out.

I've read that iCloud could be causing a problem. I'm going to try turning it off and seeing if that helps.
    Sure sounded like complaining to me. Again, for a first post it sounded troll-like. My apologies if I offended you. Far from ignoring your concerns, I did post suggestions. I did not mention iCloud because I do not think we should have to turn that function off in order to obtain acceptable battery life. Certainly turn off the parts of iCloud you don't plan to use, but I doubt that Apple posted their battery life claims with the caveat that iCloud must be turned off.
    10-16-2011 01:19 PM
    i charged my up to 100% last night took it off charger and it was @ 69% this morning.
    on my iphone 4 the lowest it would ever be would be around 89% and most of the time it would still be in the ninety's
    10-16-2011 01:29 PM
    But also, at night or when not in use, turn off things like location services(gps), data(3g/other), bluetooth, and wifi. That should help with battery life.
    I do not intend to spend time constantly monitoring what services are on or off. I know which functions I need (even if it's only once per day) and want those available when I need to call on them. I charge my phone overnight so that it's fully charged in the morning. I expect the battery to last through a normal day.

If you are a very heavy user of services that require GPS or push notifications, then you may need to tweak certain settings.
    10-16-2011 01:31 PM
    I unplugged my 4S last night at midnight and went to sleep. Its now almost 2:00 pm and I still have 50% left. Heavy use from 9:00 am until now.
    Very good coming from an htc incredible
    10-16-2011 01:34 PM
    Mine was 98%, I went to bed, and when I woke up it was 56%. I turned off a lot of stuff too. I'm starting to worry...
    Neither sounds normal. Call Apple and start a service/complaint file.

From the overall 'net chatter, it sounds like iOS 5 may have something to do with sub-optimal battery life. I just don't know why there is such a huge variance in experiences.

I've had my 4S on for 4 hrs. (turned on timer when I unplugged) this morning. I've used it quite a bit in that time, including listening to ~1 hr. of music & podcasts. Battery level is at 89%. I ended a 16 hr. day yesterday with over 30%. I've tweaked the settings minimally.
    10-16-2011 01:50 PM
    Hearing this makes me really think that I have a bad phone or something. I'll take it to Sprint tomorrow. If I don't use it at all, I'm draining about 10-15% an hour. I turned off my location services for most things and am always on wifi.
    10-16-2011 01:53 PM
734 12345 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD