My battery usage time is less than desirable but the stand by time is phenomenal on this device.
    Can you give me an idea of how long the phone lasts if you just charge it and leave on the radios to receive calls (without turning on the touchscreen)? Know this has been discussed all over, but was interested in some actual anectodal reports. Thanks.
    01-08-2012 04:04 PM
    Hi everyone,

So what is the consensus? For the sake of preserving battery life, If you are not in a WiFi area, is it better to keep WiFi on or off?

I have heard one opinion that keeping WiFi on uses more battery resources because the iPhone keeps searching for WiFi. Then, on the other side, some people say that (if I understand their argument correctly) searching for WiFi uses less resources than searching for a cellular signal, and that therefore it is better to direct the phone to search for WiFi.

Please, what do people think? I really like my new iPhone 4s, but the battery performance is a weakness.

Thank you.
    01-08-2012 04:37 PM
    Hi everyone,

So what is the consensus? For the sake of preserving battery life, If you are not in a WiFi area, is it better to keep WiFi on or off?

I have heard one opinion that keeping WiFi on uses more battery resources because the iPhone keeps searching for WiFi. Then, on the other side, some people say that (if I understand their argument correctly) searching for WiFi uses less resources than searching for a cellular signal, and that therefore it is better to direct the phone to search for WiFi.

Please, what do people think? I really like my new iPhone 4s, but the battery performance is a weakness.

Thank you.
    Why would you keep something on that you're not currently using? If you leave WiFi on in an area where there isn't any then you're just taxing the battery by the radio constantly looking for a signal. It's the same as if you were in a poor cell service area. Leaving settings on for services you aren't using is always going to drain the battery.
    01-08-2012 05:38 PM
    I was thinking about this some more after my Guitar Plug jack came in the mail and I started jamming with Garage Band and AmpliTube (on iPad, but it also works with the iPhone 4s). The device was receiving my guitar signal, processing it, laying it out graphically on the display screen, and then amplifying it back to me through the headphone jack. All the while, it was running radios and other iOS processes in the background. If I were just listening to music on some type of MP3 player, most people wouldn't be at all surprised if their device ran out of battery after 6-12 hours. So I'll say it again: why is it surprising that a device doing all of these things would only last half a day?! Laptop computers have GIANT batteries, by comparison, the laptops that people use for home and work generally last about 2 to 10 hours on a battery, and people just accept that.

I don't have my 4s yet (tomorrow). But I'm reading that the standby time is actually quite good. Which means if you just need your phone as a PHONE and you're away from any type of charger, you probably can get through a full day (or more) by turning off the proper radios and services. The battery issues come from the fact that Apple has made an interesting device that people are actually USING, as opposed to leaving in their problem.

Not making excuses for Apple, and I'd certainly want to see any manufacturer improve their device, but I think a lot of people just have unrealistic expectations.
    Several reasons for accepting that laptops last a few hrs off the charger... 1) You're lighting at least an 11 inch screen if you're using a Mac... On every electronic device lighting the screen is going to use close to the most of the battery. 2) The laptop is running more battery intensive services, Flash being specifically what I'm talking about. Flash takes up A LOT of battery because of the constant rendering/buffering needed to run Flash games/ads/videos. The laptop just has way more processor heavy tasks to do. But yes my standby on the 4S is fantastic... it's once I actually start using the device that I see problems haha
    01-08-2012 05:49 PM
    Can you give me an idea of how long the phone lasts if you just charge it and leave on the radios to receive calls (without turning on the touchscreen)? Know this has been discussed all over, but was interested in some actual anectodal reports. Thanks.
    Yesterday I was out and about in Manhattan all day and used my phone periodically to check my pushed emails and play some family feud. On one charge I ended up with 5 hours and ten minutes of usage and one day and 10 mins of standby.

I work overnights and use my phone all night when I'm not busy and end up with about 5 or sometimes a little over 5 hours of usage with little to no standby.

It's awesome for standby but I might get one of those portable charger things just in case I need to get a few more hours of juice. Coming from a Motorola Triumph Android phone though, this thing has great battery. It would die within 7 hours (four-ish hours of straight use plus 2 hours of standby and it would dead).
    01-09-2012 03:40 AM
    I tested that very thing once. Charged my phone fully, left all features on, unplugged it and went to bed. In seven hours 20 minutes the iPhone lost 4% battery life.
    01-09-2012 06:30 AM
    I tested that very thing once. Charged my phone fully, left all features on, unplugged it and went to bed. In seven hours 20 minutes the iPhone lost 4% battery life.
    Nice! That's what I like to hear.

Noob question - do you get the USB plug adapter in the box for an iPhone (like you do for iPad), or just the USB cable?
    01-09-2012 08:25 AM

Noob question - do you get the USB plug adapter in the box for an iPhone (like you do for iPad), or just the USB cable?
    I do not have an iPad to compare, but I got a USB cable + A/C adapter that I can plug the USB cable into.
    01-09-2012 08:46 AM

Yes you do get the plug along with the cable.
    01-09-2012 09:26 AM
    I hope it can last more than 5 years.
    01-10-2012 01:28 AM
    dont try to over charge your battery. it cause to decrease your battery life.
    01-11-2012 03:13 PM
    As a person who posted here before I got my 4s, and now posting as someone who's had the phone all week - the battery complaints have been a complete non-issue!

Seriously, I had a BlackBerry 9700 overloaded with apps and I'm pretty sure the battery life of this new phone is BETTER than my venerable RIM device. Could that battery life degrade over time as the battery ages and I put more and more on the device? Sure.

But if you take the proper care to turn off garbage notifications, shut off radios you aren't using, turn off Ping, etc., I think the battery life is pretty good. And just as important, it charges quickly, especially with the iPad 10W adapter.

If you're on the fence about getting a 4s, don't let the battery stories be a deciding factor. Particularly when the alternatives are something like the Motorola Razr, which has battery problems of its own (yes, due to 4G).
    01-12-2012 02:03 PM
    I have been using the iPhone 4s for a week now and I have to say that I haven't had much of an issue with the battery life. I usually unplug my iPhone around 9:00am and use it all day for texting, emailing, surfing the web and app usage and can pretty much go from 9am to 9pm without charging it and if I do its during my 20 minute car ride to work. I have my bluetooth turned off, screen brightness turned down, WiFi is on but I am usually around a WiFi network most of the day and I have my email accounts set to manually be checked. I also have a BlackBerry that I can make last for a day and a half so I am pretty good with keeping my devices battery life in good shape.
    01-13-2012 04:28 PM
    i am also using i phone 4Gs and i am also facing same battery issue in my set
    01-14-2012 07:32 PM
    how i can sole this battery issue in my i phone?? any suggestion??
    01-14-2012 07:33 PM
    I lose 20 percent every two hours, is this normal?? 100% @ 8am and now at 10am I'm already at 80%
    and I have all the location crap off, wifi and bluetooth off and have not used the phone to talk to anyone even once. Lots of text messages though.
    01-16-2012 10:09 AM
    within 30 minutes I have lost 5%

Is this normal???
    01-18-2012 11:08 PM

Is this normal???
    Depends what you were doing... was the phone awake for a half hour? If so, I'm surprised you didn't lose more. If the phone was off and in standby you might have an app hanging cause that drain is a bit excessive.
    01-18-2012 11:55 PM
    Depends what you were doing... was the phone awake for a half hour? If so, I'm surprised you didn't lose more. If the phone was off and in standby you might have an app hanging cause that drain is a bit excessive.
    I had no apps running.

Made one 5 minute phone call.

I have a brand new 4S (2 days old)

I have disabled the time-zone in the location services, I use wifi when I need it only, Im anal about closing apps in the app-tray, i turn off a large majority of push options for my apps and 2/3 of my email accounts, I don't allow apps to follow my location unless absolutely necessary and thats rare.

I don't want to restore it, but from what I'm reading I'm wondering if those restores ACTUALLY help, or if people are being subjected to the placebo effect of sorts.

Whats the numbers on those who have restored their devices?
    01-19-2012 12:25 AM

Is this normal???
    Normal from my experience with the 4s.
    01-19-2012 12:32 AM
    Is it worth me doing a restore?

This is my most recent usage

Thanks for your help!

01-19-2012 12:04 PM

Thanks for your help!

Click to view quoted image
    From what I've been reading in this thread, your usage is well above what most are complaining about. I don't think a restore will squeeze much more out of your battery.

Cheers
    01-19-2012 12:37 PM

Thanks for your help!

Click to view quoted image

Umm... that is not far off from what Apple has rated the phone at...

Talk time: Up to 8 hours on 3G, up to 14 hours on 2G (GSM)
    Internet use: Up to 6 hours on 3G, up to 9 hours on Wi-Fi
    (src: https://www.apple.com/iphone/specs.html )
    So your good.
    01-20-2012 11:08 AM
    I have some new usage numbers that are bugging me.

Im getting way longer battery life on wifi than I am on 3G. Isn't that backwards?

Here is wifi:

Here is 3G:

Also, I'm noticing that if you have a really low signal, the phone battery life just drops drastically. Is finding a signal really THAT taxing on the phone?
    Last edited by NegroNapoleon; 01-24-2012 at 04:03 AM.
    01-24-2012 03:36 AM
    I have some new usage numbers that are bugging me.

Im getting way longer battery life on wifi than I am on 3G. Isn't that backwards?
    Nope, that is correct behavior.

Also, I'm noticing that if you have a really low signal, the phone battery life just drops drastically. Is finding a signal really THAT taxing on the phone?
    Yes.
    01-24-2012 06:37 AM
734 ... 2526272829 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD