Over the past few nights, I've been rather upset over my 4s. What i usually do is charge my phone up while we're watching tv at night, and then when I go to bed, I take my iPhone with me and watch a video on hulu+ or netflix while falling asleep. Typically, when I"m done watching said shows, the battery will be at 93-95% after one sitcom of 23 minutes or so.

Since Monday of this week, when I wake up in the morning, my battery has shot down to 65-70%. Thats after sitting idle all night, from 95% down to 65%.

Last night, I even made sure that when I set my phone down, I closed all applications. The only thing I didn't do was unplug my headphones.

About a week ago, I had finally downloaded the first Infinity Blade game, and noticed it was sucking me dry as well, but that's to be expected. I finally, last night before bed, deleted the game from my phone, thinking it may have a snag in it. That's the only thing I've downloaded recently.

But to no avail, this morning, after closing all apps, and deleting the Infinity Blade app, I woke up with a dismal 70% left. I had a 3gs for 2 years, and even the last day I used it I would wake up with 95%.

My wife also has said hers has been getting abysmal battery life.

Any ideas? I've got most of the things turned off that we're supposed to turn off to make for better battery life, but it still is just awful!. I woke up at 7:30, its now 11:30, and I haven't used my phone at all except to check email, and its at 49%, down from 65% in a short 4 hour span, and that's from not using it at all!!!!
    12-10-2011 12:17 PM
    Wow, so I've had this phone since it came out. Never had battery issues. My battery issues started around the time I had to go into DFU and restore my phone from a backup. Around the same time, I started downloading a lot of apps. I never really had that many apps before about a week ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    12-10-2011 12:39 PM
    @ministerman are you running notifications for apps? I don't know if imagining or not but Facebook notifications seem to drain my battery more than usual. I've had it on and off it it seems better with it off.
    12-10-2011 02:19 PM
    How is the reception in your home? Poor? Excellent? Here's my conclusion on this battery life issue:
    I personally find that the phone sucks battery if it is in an area with a very weak 3G signal, and it constantly flips between 3G and extended network. I was in a class all last week, and the classroom was pretty bad for reception- my battery would drain just sitting on my desk. But, once I am at home, it did awesome-with small, expected battery drain as it sat idle. If I leave my phone unplugged all night, from 11pm to 7am, I will only go from 100% to about 86%. And that's with Facebook notifications, Gmail push (exchange) all on, and wi fi off.
    Try this out: turn wi fi on and stay connected solely to that all night. Compare the battery drain between that and leaving it on 3G all night. If you notice a significant difference, I am willing to bet that your location has a lousy 3G signal, and the phone is periodically searching for signal which eats the battery. Your battery drain is definitely pretty significant. But I honestly think this has a lot to do with reception more so than it has to do with notifications, apps and the like. Also, the display is a HUGE factor in battery life. If you have it jacked way up to 100, your battery isn't going to last too long. I have mine set for automatic, so when I do access my phone, the impact is minimal. But all this talk about putting the phone into airplane mode and shutting off notifications negates the need for a smart phone, eh? Then I might as well just wait til I get home to check my stuff....no thanks.
    12-10-2011 04:03 PM
    @rich67 I hate to tell you this but your battery drain is bad also. As an example. On my iP4 on iOS 4 I could leave my phone unplugged all night and it would only drain a few (5 at most) percent.

I do agree that weak 3G is killer on a battery, but your talking to people (me) that have been living in the same house and using iPhones for years. It is definitely an issue with ios 5. My wife gets SIGNIFICANTLY better battery life than me because she doesn't have any 3rd party notifications.
    Here is a test for you. Tonight before going to bed turn OFF notifications completely. I bet tomorrow morning you battery will be close to 100%.
    12-10-2011 04:29 PM
    Heck, it's still better than my Droid ever was, but I'll give it a shot..
    12-10-2011 04:42 PM
    After having terrible battery life..5hours and it would be dead.

I did a restore and this is my result!

Chuffed!
    12-10-2011 06:12 PM
    @ministerman are you running notifications for apps? I don't know if imagining or not but Facebook notifications seem to drain my battery more than usual. I've had it on and off it it seems better with it off.
    The only notifications I have on are weather, phone, messages, reminders and calendar.
    12-11-2011 12:09 AM
    How is the reception in your home? Poor? Excellent? Here's my conclusion on this battery life issue:
    I personally find that the phone sucks battery if it is in an area with a very weak 3G signal, and it constantly flips between 3G and extended network. I was in a class all last week, and the classroom was pretty bad for reception- my battery would drain just sitting on my desk. But, once I am at home, it did awesome-with small, expected battery drain as it sat idle. If I leave my phone unplugged all night, from 11pm to 7am, I will only go from 100% to about 86%. And that's with Facebook notifications, Gmail push (exchange) all on, and wi fi off.
    Try this out: turn wi fi on and stay connected solely to that all night. Compare the battery drain between that and leaving it on 3G all night. If you notice a significant difference, I am willing to bet that your location has a lousy 3G signal, and the phone is periodically searching for signal which eats the battery. Your battery drain is definitely pretty significant. But I honestly think this has a lot to do with reception more so than it has to do with notifications, apps and the like. Also, the display is a HUGE factor in battery life. If you have it jacked way up to 100, your battery isn't going to last too long. I have mine set for automatic, so when I do access my phone, the impact is minimal. But all this talk about putting the phone into airplane mode and shutting off notifications negates the need for a smart phone, eh? Then I might as well just wait til I get home to check my stuff....no thanks.
    I leave my phone on wi-fi all the time. I have excellent coverage in my home and office. My office is across the street, so I'm never without a wi-fi signal. So when you say you're willing to bet I have lousy 3g coverage, you'd be wrong. I also have my display on auto brightness, so you'd be wrong on that.

Its got to be a software issue.
    12-11-2011 12:12 AM
    I have the battery issue as well. It seems I'm using the phone even less for fear of draining it before the day is out. I will say that over time the battery seems to be better. I can go 2 days with mild use, mostly audio play without charging. However if I use it for Internet, calls, or god forbid games or video I'm lucky to get 4 hours on a full charge. The new update doesn't seem to have fixed anything.
    12-11-2011 01:02 AM
    I am in the same boat. I can get 2 days out of it with very light use (3G off, brightness on low, main features turned off). But if I use it like I used my previous phone (little web browsing and music at lunch, couple of games during the day) it'll die in around 14 hours.
    12-11-2011 07:22 AM
    Agreed it seem when ever I another app the battery gets worse. Even when I close them out it still does not last as long.
    12-11-2011 09:13 AM
    Okay, so after a week of horrible battery life from bedtime to morning, I did some experimenting.

Last night, I did the restore on my phone. I let it drain to 0 battery, charged it overnight, woke up and unplugged with a 100% charge at 8am. Left for church at 9am, and it had drained to 89% after doing nothing at all but sitting on my dresser. I had wi-fi connected.

Went to church, and for 2 solid hours, the battery went from 89% down to 87%, and the only difference was that it was not connected to a wifi network. I had wifi on, but i was not connected to the church's wifi. I went to a member's house for lunch, it stayed at 87%. Got home at 2:00, and the battery went from 87-84% in a matter of 2 minutes. Turned wifi off on the phone, and now at 2:20 it is still at 84%.

So, either my wifi is screwing it up, or the wifi on the phone is screwing it up.

I have noticed while sitting at home, it will shuffle from the wifi icon to 3g over and over, like it won't hold on to the wifi signal. Regardless, with the phone not on wifi, it has no battery problems at all. When it is just on 3g, it does a stellar job, which is just awful, because I'm on Sprint.
    12-11-2011 03:34 PM
    I have noticed while sitting at home, it will shuffle from the wifi icon to 3g over and over, like it won't hold on to the wifi signal. Regardless, with the phone not on wifi, it has no battery problems at all. When it is just on 3g, it does a stellar job, which is just awful, because I'm on Sprint.
    A weak wifi signal will destroy the batter life. I friend of mine had the same issue on her iphone 4. Her phone kept switching between wifi and 3g and her battery had very poor performance. She called her isp provider and fixed the wifi signal and gor stellar battery performance.
    12-12-2011 07:13 PM
    So last night, at around 3am, I unplugged my 4S and plugged in my iPad. When I woke up, my iPhone was down to 85%. Is anyone else experiencing this type of battery usage? My old iPhone would only be down to 98% when I did this before.

I can understand that during the day I a,using it a lot, but not when I'm asleep. Thoughts?

-John
    Here's a good guide on practical ways to improve your iPhone's battery life it should definately help since it has more effective tips, rather than obvious tips that detracts from the user experience.

Hope it helps
    12-13-2011 09:48 AM
    5.1 beta 2 is looking better for me.... off the charger at 730am and only down to 86% with minimal use.... for sure this is an improvement
    12-13-2011 11:11 AM
    Mines not Usually this bad. Not sure what's going on but in doing a complete battery drain down to 0 to reboot and full charge. Haven't done that in a while.
    12-14-2011 04:34 PM
    Okay, so after a week of horrible battery life from bedtime to morning, I did some experimenting.

Last night, I did the restore on my phone. I let it drain to 0 battery, charged it overnight, woke up and unplugged with a 100% charge at 8am. Left for church at 9am, and it had drained to 89% after doing nothing at all but sitting on my dresser. I had wi-fi connected.

Went to church, and for 2 solid hours, the battery went from 89% down to 87%, and the only difference was that it was not connected to a wifi network. I had wifi on, but i was not connected to the church's wifi. I went to a member's house for lunch, it stayed at 87%. Got home at 2:00, and the battery went from 87-84% in a matter of 2 minutes. Turned wifi off on the phone, and now at 2:20 it is still at 84%.

So, either my wifi is screwing it up, or the wifi on the phone is screwing it up.

Hi ministerman I know you posted this a few days ago but it just caught my attention now. I've often heard mixed things about wifi being better for battery, but then I've heard that staying connected to your carriers network is better. From my experience, I've seen a little of both. Here's my take on it, it's just my opinion and what I've seen my device do, so I'm not trying claim that this is how it is.

If your connected to wifi, and the weather is bad or your router is not getting a great signal to provide a good wifi signal to your device, I feel it will use more of your battery just trying to stay connected to the wifi.

As for a 3G connection--^^same as above--if the weather is bad, or your in a building etc. preventing your device from getting good signal, it will drain the battery trying to keep up.

Luckily I've been fortunate to get very good battery life EXCEPT when I have poor weather conditions here (rain, storms, cloudy/overcast) my battery doesn't last as long.
    12-14-2011 05:54 PM
    5.1 beta 2 is looking better for me.... off the charger at 730am and only down to 86% with minimal use.... for sure this is an improvement
    Same here... on beta 1 I would be lucky to get 5 hrs usage and a day of standby. For the past two days in a row I've gotten much improved results. Right now at exactly 50% I have 2hrs 57mins of usage and 16hrs 5mins of standby. Not bad at all if you ask me and a pretty sweet improvement. Here's to hoping it lasts (knocks on wood) and maybe even improves, but I don't wanna get greedy.
    12-14-2011 06:23 PM
    There is a serious battery problem in iPhone 4s
    12-15-2011 05:10 AM
    Work alot better now 2 4s
    12-15-2011 09:37 AM
    I've noticed my battery has gotten better now that I have had my phone for a month of regular use. I make sure I do all the regular discharging the battery all the way pretty regularly. I've turned off most of my location services, and I regularly turn off wifi if I'm not in an area where I'm using it. Another way I've helped add life to my battery is by turning the brightness down a bit, I only turn it up higher when need be.

I get about 5 hours of heavy use and 36 hours standby typically on one charge. I'm using the i4s. It is not as good as what my i4 was giving me, however the i4s is a faster processor which will affect the battery life. Hopefully we see a big improvement with the next release of iOS5 update. I'm looking forward to it that's for sure!
    12-15-2011 12:55 PM
    Same here... on beta 1 I would be lucky to get 5 hrs usage and a day of standby. For the past two days in a row I've gotten much improved results. Right now at exactly 50% I have 2hrs 57mins of usage and 16hrs 5mins of standby. Not bad at all if you ask me and a pretty sweet improvement. Here's to hoping it lasts (knocks on wood) and maybe even improves, but I don't wanna get greedy.
    posts like this has me scared to update my iphone 4s...right now...5.0.1
    i have 70% battery 2 hours 25 min usage and
    22 hours 36 min of standby....
    12-15-2011 04:07 PM
    posts like this has me scared to update my iphone 4s...right now...5.0.1
    i have 70% battery 2 hours 25 min usage and
    22 hours 36 min of standby....
    I agree with you Candy. I've been watching to see what kind of battery life people are getting on 5.1b2. I get great battery life 5.0.1 similar to what your getting, so honestly I may just pass on the update all together idk at this point.....
    12-15-2011 04:38 PM
    lol...ill do it if you do it
    12-15-2011 04:42 PM
734 ... 2122232425 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD