My battery has gotten progressively worse since I got my device. I gave up and turned on everything and have a charger at every place I end up.
    11-08-2011 06:17 AM
    Very happy with the battery life on my iPhone 4S. I have not turned off any location features nor taken anything out of the notification screen and average 7-8 hours of usage and ~20 hours of standby per charge.
    11-08-2011 07:29 AM
    I had pre-ordered a 4S and it was waiting for me when I got back after some travel around 18 October. I really didn't understand the big hue and cry about battery life... until Wednesday. The phone had been working perfectly with normal battery life, and I was somewhat bemused about all the reports of battery issues. But then I got home this past Wednesday night, spent some time surfing the web on the phone, then after dinner, retired for the evening. Looked at the phone and the battery indicator was... unusually low. Didn't think too much of it as I had been using it a little more than usual. But then...

In the morning it was completely dead. Charged it for a while before work, then in the car all the way to work. It was fully charged when I got there. I didn't use it at all during the day, but about mid-afternoon, I got a text while in a meeting with a customer. Again - battery unusually low. I also noticed that the phone felt quite a bit hotter than normal in my pocket. By the time I got out of the meeting, the phone was dead - again. Charged it up again in the car for a while. Got home, charged it some more. It was fully charged when I went to bed around midnight. In the morning: dead as a doornail.

Not sure what suddenly brought on the battery life issue after a couple weeks of normal life - but ever since this past Wednesday the thing can't get through half a day without completely dying. The phone always seems to be unusually hot in my pocket, which makes me think there's some kind of runaway process going on. I'm not aware of anything about the setup of the phone that I may have changed that would cause such a sudden decrease in battery life. I've tried as many of the usual tricks as I can stand (obviously the phone isn't very useful I keep it in airplane mode all the time), without much success. Hopefully 5.0.1 gets here sooner rather than later.

Exact same thing with my wife's phone. The first 2 weeks her battery life was even better than mine. Now she'll be lucky to get 12 hours of just standby. Not sure wether to take it to the store now or wait for the update.
    11-08-2011 10:21 AM
    killing background running apps seems to really help.
    Bingo! That should be the first thing people try when experiencing battery drain issues. I wasn't experiencing the degree of problems some people have, but I noticed that closing background running apps is a big help in preserving battery life.
    11-08-2011 11:30 AM
    My battery life has been excellent, but yesterday something happened to kick that grade down a notch. My usage stats are normally around 6 hrs. of use, 20 hrs. of standby ending up with well over 30% battery after a typical full charge overnight. Yesterday I hit the 20% mark. Still no danger of running out of battery life during a normal day's use, but I'm not sure what happened.

This morning I noticed that the first hour of use brought my battery level to 90%, but the 2nd hour only brought it down to 85%. Same types of usage during both hours, so again it's puzzling.

This recent "issue" of mine doesn't come close to the types of problems other people have been reporting. I just note it here as another data point. I haven't yet fully drained my battery, so I will run lots of video to get that done today.
    11-08-2011 11:35 AM
    I was recently in a building with very poor signal. I noticed as well that my phone was getting very warm. Then I looked at my battery and I could watch the % fall. Over the span of about 30 minutes I lost almost 20% of my battery as it tried to deal with the poor signal. Ended up turning off the phone to save itself from dying!
    11-08-2011 01:39 PM
    Not sure if this has been posted yet, there's too many pages to read. I did turn off the auto-clock feature, which perhaps helped a little. I have wifi at home and my office, and had the iphone set up to be on both. I found that turning off wifi has improved battery life dramatically, not sure if it's measurable yet, but it feels about 20% better. I don't need wifi often and can easily reconnect if downloading a large file, so for now am leaving it off and hopefully will experience much better batter life.
    11-08-2011 03:56 PM
    My battery life has been excellent, but yesterday something happened to kick that grade down a notch. My usage stats are normally around 6 hrs. of use, 20 hrs. of standby ending up with well over 30% battery after a typical full charge overnight. Yesterday I hit the 20% mark. Still no danger of running out of battery life during a normal day's use, but I'm not sure what happened.

This morning I noticed that the first hour of use brought my battery level to 90%, but the 2nd hour only brought it down to 85%. Same types of usage during both hours, so again it's puzzling.

This recent "issue" of mine doesn't come close to the types of problems other people have been reporting. I just note it here as another data point. I haven't yet fully drained my battery, so I will run lots of video to get that done today.
    Update: I ran my iPhone until the battery level went to zero, then charged it to 100% before using it again. This morning it took two hours of use to bring the level down to 90%. That is a more like what I'd experienced the first few weeks.
    11-09-2011 12:00 PM
    So I do have battery issues and I've attached this log to see what the things running the most.

Does anyone have any thoughts or does it all look good?

Judson
    11-09-2011 07:54 PM
    Just so everyone is in loop.

My phone is running the following

177 System
    172 Profiled
    80 Mobile Phone
    78 absinthed.n94
    72 networkd
    66btserver
    61 aggregated
    60 apsd
    54 dataaccessed

I dont' know what any of these things do; but I've been awake for 50 minutes and lost 5% battery.

I've turned off the following:

• notification center - NOTHING goes into it.
    • All email is set to - manual
    • location services - off
    • I kill every app when i get out of it

Is this really how iPhone is? or is just a fluke until 5.0.1 comes out?

I came from a blackberry 9700 - which I know has the best battery on the market (easly 2 days w/ 6 emails, 4 twitter, 1 facebook all set to PUSH; Pandora stream for at minimum of 4 hours a day and heavy web surfing) I feel if I did that on an iPhone I would kill it in 4 hours.

Any thoughts? Is any of this realistic to expect from an iphone?
    11-10-2011 09:00 AM
    As an update, since doing all the above, I've streamed Pandora Radio since this last post and I am at 68% battery left.

it appears teh PUSH/Notifcation center is the isolated area of issue.

IMO
    11-10-2011 01:19 PM
    Just installed the update 5.0.1
    I'll let you guys k ow what's up!
    Sitting at 100% right now (:
    11-10-2011 02:16 PM
    I brought my 4s to the genius bar the other day because of what seemed to be a software related constant crash issue. Without even hesitating they just replaced the phone. Talked to the guy at the genius bar about the battery issues and he basically said be patient and that they are very aware iOS5 is buggy. Talked about usage and standby times and how it's really all relative to the specific user and what they are doing with their usage time. Essentially what may be good battery life to me for say 4 hours of usage may not be for someone else. So comparing one phones battery life to another's is comparable if we have all done the exact same thing for the same amount of time. For example the screen shot shows where I sit right now. Couldn't tell for how long or how many times I've done these specific tasks but the usage is from 3G web browsing, multiple texts, three email accounts on hourly fetch schedule, Facebook, maps with location service for directions, words, music player for about 90 minutes and probably a few other things I a forgetting.

With all that said is there anyone with similar usage that can compare? Is this good battery life for this type of usage?

Attachment 11530
    11-10-2011 03:23 PM
    Im new to this "side" as Ive come from the android platform. but after downloading the newest os software 5.0.1 i feel like my battery life is depleting faster than it was at 5.0.0 and that was still bad for me compared to some other 4s owners. although the iphone last longer than any of my android phones i feel like its not living up to some of my other friends battery life...anyone else feel the new os 5.0.1 is draining at a faster rate?
    11-10-2011 06:14 PM
    Im new to this "side" as Ive come from the android platform. but after downloading the newest os software 5.0.1 i feel like my battery life is depleting faster than it was at 5.0.0 and that was still bad for me compared to some other 4s owners. although the iphone last longer than any of my android phones i feel like its not living up to some of my other friends battery life...anyone else feel the new os 5.0.1 is draining at a faster rate?
    Give it a few days to be sure since the update only came out today. You may see an improvement over the next 3 days.
    11-10-2011 07:47 PM
    I didnt wanna make a new thread about this..

But I have an ipod touch..Not sure what generation, the back says its from year 2008 so yeah..Can I use the same cable for my 4s? Just to have a spare one with me? They look the same, the white part is the same thickness and yeah..Just wanna make sure it'll be 100% compatible.
    11-10-2011 10:45 PM
    Just so everyone is in loop.

My phone is running the following

177 System
    172 Profiled
    80 Mobile Phone
    78 absinthed.n94
    72 networkd
    66btserver
    61 aggregated
    60 apsd
    54 dataaccessed

I dont' know what any of these things do; but I've been awake for 50 minutes and lost 5% battery.

I've turned off the following:

• notification center - NOTHING goes into it.
    • All email is set to - manual
    • location services - off
    • I kill every app when i get out of it

Is this really how iPhone is? or is just a fluke until 5.0.1 comes out?

I came from a blackberry 9700 - which I know has the best battery on the market (easly 2 days w/ 6 emails, 4 twitter, 1 facebook all set to PUSH; Pandora stream for at minimum of 4 hours a day and heavy web surfing) I feel if I did that on an iPhone I would kill it in 4 hours.

Any thoughts? Is any of this realistic to expect from an iphone?
    In my previous post, I had everything off, never ran more than one app, no wifi/location services. No notification center - nothing and was easily losing 10-15% bat life a hour.

Now, I have everything on, I mean everything location services, push everything and I just did 40 emails, tweeted, iMessage surfed the net and only lost 30% battery in 2.75 hours. And I am PUSHING this phone HARD.

Needed to say, I am VERY please with Apple's upgraded 5.0.1 os.
    11-10-2011 10:52 PM
    Previously on iOS 5 I got extremely good battery life. I could go 2 days no problem. After iOS 5.0.1 came out I started getting really bad life. I just did a complete restore and activated the phone as new and that seemed to fix my problem. Just a little input for those still having sub par battery life.
    11-11-2011 12:40 AM
    Reporting back

Installed the update 5.0.1 at 11:30am with 100% battery

It's 2:30am and I have 17% battery left with moderate use that BEFORE the update would last me half day...

Thank you for the update apple. I love my iPhone even more now (:
    11-11-2011 05:33 AM
    Here my usage, standby and battery % after 5.0.1 install and charge to 100%. Good, bad? I don't know. Still think my 4 was better

Attachment 11550
    11-11-2011 08:05 AM
    Battery since switching to 5.0.1. Honestly, I don't feel a difference. But I never had a major battery issue before.

11-11-2011 10:09 AM
    Here my usage, standby and battery % after 5.0.1 install and charge to 100%. Good, bad? I don't know. Still think my 4 was better.
    2 hrs. use with 12 hrs. standby at 68% sounds fine. If you were on 3G all that time it might even be great.

Unless you plan to recharge every other day (40-48 hrs. standby), I think most people should fall into a routine of charging the phone every night while they sleep (16-20 hrs. standby). With that in mind, you have nothing to worry about at 68% after 12 hrs. standby.

Or am I missing something? Aside from some Blackberry models with small screens and users who spend most of their time messaging and emailing (lousy browser & few useful apps), what modern smartphone can go 2 full days of use without a recharge?

Just plug the phone in every night and use the heck out of it during the day. If you can't get through a normal day without excessive battery management (no constant turning this and that on & off), call Apple to complain and ask for help.

Forums always amplify the perception of a problem. It's the squeaky wheel syndrome, which is fine. Even if this issue affects less than 10% of iPhone users, it still deserves attention and a solution. iOS 5.0.1 seems to solve the issue for some with the problem, but not all. So Apple will try again with 5.0.2.

I know I'm going to risk flames for this next bit, but these iPhone battery issues pale in comparison to what Android phone users have been experiencing. First, those problems affect the majority of users rather than a minority. Second, there is little hope of a solution from either the carrier, phone manufacturer or Android. Even if Google released an OS update to help solve the issue, when will HTC, Samsung, Moto, etc. pass on the update to their devices?

So the solution for many Android users is to carry a charger with them, buy & keep a spare battery charged, install & manage a power management app.
    _heatherly and lindad8284 like this.
    11-11-2011 02:31 PM
    2 hrs. use with 12 hrs. standby at 68% sounds fine. If you were on 3G all that time it might even be great.

Unless you plan to recharge every other day (40-48 hrs. standby), I think most people should fall into a routine of charging the phone every night while they sleep (16-20 hrs. standby). With that in mind, you have nothing to worry about at 68% after 12 hrs. standby.

Or am I missing something? Aside from some Blackberry models with small screens and users who spend most of their time messaging and emailing (lousy browser & few useful apps), what modern smartphone can go 2 full days of use without a recharge?

Just plug the phone in every night and use the heck out of it during the day. If you can't get through a normal day without excessive battery management (no constant turning this and that on & off), call Apple to complain and ask for help.

Forums always amplify the perception of a problem. It's the squeaky wheel syndrome, which is fine. Even if this issue affects less than 10% of iPhone users, it still deserves attention and a solution. iOS 5.0.1 seems to solve the issue for some with the problem, but not all. So Apple will try again with 5.0.2.

I know I'm going to risk flames for this next bit, but these iPhone battery issues pale in comparison to what Android phone users have been experiencing. First, those problems affect the majority of users rather than a minority. Second, there is little hope of a solution from either the carrier, phone manufacturer or Android. Even if Google released an OS update to help solve the issue, when will HTC, Samsung, Moto, etc. pass on the update to their devices?

So the solution for many Android users is to carry a charger with them, buy & keep a spare battery charged, install & manage a power management app.
    I was on 3G the whole time and I do routinely charge it every night. All I want is for it to last from when I leave in the morning, 3:30, till I get home at night, 6-6:30. After that I don't use it all that much.
    11-11-2011 06:21 PM

I can vouch for the android batteries. Had a droid and a droid x and couldn't get though half a day with the battery.
    11-11-2011 06:24 PM
    I really wonder how we going to advance into quad core processors and LTE and more RAM and etc, with battery being a big bottleneck.
    11-11-2011 06:49 PM
734 ... 1718192021 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD