So last night, at around 3am, I unplugged my 4S and plugged in my iPad. When I woke up, my iPhone was down to 85%. Is anyone else experiencing this type of battery usage? My old iPhone would only be down to 98% when I did this before.

I can understand that during the day I a,using it a lot, but not when I'm asleep. Thoughts?

-John
    Wow John, I thought my daughter and I were the only ones experiencing increased battery usage since installing ios5. She completely charged her I4 before going to work- 20 minute drive in - without using it but a couple of minutes for a call, and within 3 hrs. it had gone into the red on the battery meter! Mine has shown increased usage, too, but not as much as hers. We both have turned off a lot of the auto notifications and locations, and not sure what else to do to conserve power.
    10-21-2011 06:38 PM
    I paid attention last night and it definitely is using more power. I kept it on the charger, and it STILL went down from 100% to 48% in a couple of hours. Granted, it was under very heavy use, but my iPhone 4 never LOST battery level while it was plugged in. This time I made sure that the cord was connected and charging.
    10-21-2011 07:12 PM
    After leaving my iPhone 4S in the charger overnight, it's the battery level is only in the 90's. Even after an overnight charge I'm not at 100 percent. Help!

I downloaded an app called Boost Magic. It seems to help my phone get a fuller charge (meaning more juice time). Whenever you charge you phone, you activate the program and then plug the phone in. I believe it was either free or 99 cents. Hope that helps....
    10-21-2011 09:14 PM
    I am now down to 73% after being off charge for 13hrs with moderate usage. I can't complain.

Beamed over the interwebz from my iPhone 4S using Siri.
    TheSiegeGossage likes this.
    10-21-2011 09:59 PM
    i .imgur . com/Eyqqb . png

(remove spaces)

20 Hours and 1 Minutes - down to 11%

Brightness at around 60%
    Wifi on all day
    Cellular Data On
    Bluetooth headset on for like 3-4 hours
    2 Hours of Phone Calls
    All System Location Services On
    Email fetch to 15 Minutes
    Boxcar for Tweetlogix
    Facebook notification
    Weather with Location
    iCloud on Push
    Siri Raise to Speak Off
    Watched like 15 minutes on Netflix (Wifi)
    Played 20-25 minutes of Shadowgun
    Another 10 for each Gravity Guy/ Temple Run
    About a hour of Shuffle Music

I'm coming from a rooted EVO where I had to cut things off to get good battery life. I can deff manage with 20+ Hours of heavy use *imo* I haven't done anything special like let it die and charge it fully, I have just used it. One thing is, I had Sprint flag my account for a Business PRL so I have 11115 instead of 51082, I had a hypothesis that the bad battery life on sprint was because of the bad prl.

Seriel - DNP
    10-22-2011 04:39 AM
    i .imgur . com/Eyqqb . png

(remove spaces)

20 Hours and 1 Minutes - down to 11%

Brightness at around 60%
    Wifi on all day
    Cellular Data On
    Bluetooth headset on for like 3-4 hours
    2 Hours of Phone Calls
    All System Location Services On
    Email fetch to 15 Minutes
    Boxcar for Tweetlogix
    Facebook notification
    Weather with Location
    iCloud on Push
    Siri Raise to Speak Off
    Watched like 15 minutes on Netflix (Wifi)
    Played 20-25 minutes of Shadowgun
    Another 10 for each Gravity Guy/ Temple Run
    About a hour of Shuffle Music

I'm coming from a rooted EVO where I had to cut things off to get good battery life. I can deff manage with 20+ Hours of heavy use *imo* I haven't done anything special like let it die and charge it fully, I have just used it. One thing is, I had Sprint flag my account for a Business PRL so I have 11115 instead of 51082, I had a hypothesis that the bad battery life on sprint was because of the bad prl.

Seriel - DNP
    What do you mean by having sprint flag your account? Do the prl's make a difference in signal strength?
    I work in a city that gets poor sprint service and there is no way I can get 8 hours out of this phone because of the poor signal. 3G cuts out constantly making the phone work twice as hard. Not happy with sprint that's for sure.
    10-22-2011 08:40 AM
    Ha, so far my battery life is sucking ... Can literally watch it go down, especially with iTunes wifi sync enabled. I am going to play a couple of days with default settings to see if I can live with it before I start tweaking.
    10-22-2011 12:06 PM
    I thought my life was ok but yesterday I ran a little test. My wife and I took the kids to a museum so we both were using our phones the same taking and posting pictures, a few text, and a couple calls. I have 4s and she has a 4 with os5. At the end of the day I was dead and she had 75%. I have minimal apps running and have tuned my phone to use as little battery as possible. Her phone on the other hand has everything wide open. This tells me it's not os5 but it's the 4s.

Come on apple step up and fix this issue.
    109 likes this.
    10-22-2011 12:50 PM
    I disabled facebook push notifications today, going to see how that goes. I am really trying to do everything to make this battery better but it still has the same problems. I can only hope that facebook was my problem and that disabling the push notifications for the application makes my phone battery better!
    10-22-2011 01:52 PM
    Can anyone who has contacted Apple support about battery issues please share what was advised or said?
    10-22-2011 02:32 PM
    Can anyone who has contacted Apple support about battery issues please share what was advised or said?
    I actually had my Genious Bar appointment this morning: He ran a diagnostic report on my 4S and determined Im only getting about 7 hrs of battery life, which he said is extremely low, I should be getting around 20 hrs..he did a complete clean restore and says use my 4S like normal and see if that helps, but he said his 4S is not getting great battery life either and that he like the rest of us are just waiting for the iOS5 to be updated, Apple is working on it! I didn't push for a new 4S because I didn't want to end up with some refurbished 4S.

So pretty much we just need to tweak our settings as much as possible, possibly a restore could help, but mainly we need to be patient and wait for the iOS update...so nothing we didn't already know..
    RuthBerry and DrewBear like this.
    10-22-2011 04:05 PM
    I actually had my Genious Bar appointment this morning: He ran a diagnostic report on my 4S and determined Im only getting about 7 hrs of battery life, which he said is extremely low, I should be getting around 20 hrs..he did a complete clean restore and says use my 4S like normal and see if that helps, but he said his 4S is not getting great battery life either and that he like the rest of us are just waiting for the iOS5 to be updated, Apple is working on it! I didn't push for a new 4S because I didn't want to end up with some refurbished 4S.

So pretty much we just need to tweak our settings as much as possible, possibly a restore could help, but mainly we need to be patient and wait for the iOS update...so nothing we didn't already know..
    Wow that's great to hear, I really hope Apple releases an update ASAP!!!!!
    10-22-2011 09:56 PM
    I am also grateful to hear this! I finally now know that even high up people are having the same issues that we are having, so hopefully in the coming time we will see an ios5 update!
    10-22-2011 10:04 PM
    Wow. I didn't realize that the battery life on the 4S was considered bad. Coming from an EVO that, with the standard battery, couldn't last a full day with top ups from a car charger, I thought I was doing pretty good. I've removed the Facebook notifications and it's a bit better.
    10-23-2011 12:42 AM
    I thought my life was ok but yesterday I ran a little test. My wife and I took the kids to a museum so we both were using our phones the same taking and posting pictures, a few text, and a couple calls. I have 4s and she has a 4 with os5. At the end of the day I was dead and she had 75%. I have minimal apps running and have tuned my phone to use as little battery as possible. Her phone on the other hand has everything wide open. This tells me it's not os5 but it's the 4s.

Come on apple step up and fix this issue.
    Well, there is the new dual core CPU. the updated camera, perhaps the antennaes? What else is different about the two phones? And doesn't the 4S have a bigger battery than the 4, so shouldn't we be getting better battery life than the 4?
    10-23-2011 01:01 AM
    Well, there is the new dual core CPU. the updated camera, perhaps the antennaes? What else is different about the two phones? And doesn't the 4S have a bigger battery than the 4, so shouldn't we be getting better battery life than the 4?
    Only slightly bigger.
    10-23-2011 02:37 AM
    My battery life has definitely improved since I got the phone on the 14th. At first I was really disappointed. But after a couple charges and learning what to turn off on my device, it's definitely improved. Learning how to close apps running in the background helped too. I can last 24 hours with moderate use. When I'm at home, I enable WiFi because my 3G service is awful and was constantly bouncing back and forth between Edge and 3G.

When I had my BlackBerry Torch 9800, I always had to charge once a day, so charging my iPhone once a day isn't a big deal.
    Todd M likes this.
    10-23-2011 08:40 AM
    Seems my battery only drops while I am using it, but it drops way more than it should. In standby my phone only drops a tiny bit if any.
    10-23-2011 12:32 PM
    Hey guys, so I found this at MacRumors.com about battery life I haven't bothered reading through this whole thread yet. But this is what they found and I've turned off all of the settings and it seems to be working out quite well. Thanks let me know...http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=13696918

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    10-23-2011 12:52 PM
    Hey guys, so I found this at MacRumors.com about battery life I haven't bothered reading through this whole thread yet. But this is what they found and I've turned off all of the settings and it seems to be working out quite well. Thanks let me know...For people experiencing battery problems! - MacRumors Forums

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I already had mine turned off
    10-23-2011 01:33 PM
    To update everyone...

I went to the Genius Bar yesterday. They ran a load of diagnostics and said that they all checked out ok, but he offered to swap out my 4S as he didn't think I'd go there if I didn't have a problem.

So I got a new 4S. Plugged it in overnight and took it off charge this morning. Moderate usage during the day (certainly more than I used the previous one) and it has been off the charger for 13 hours. It's down to 67%. So a huge improvement there!

The previous 4S that I took back was showing figures of "Standby 1hr", "Usage 45min" even though it had just been sat on the desk locked. This morning I had "Standby 1hr", "Usage 3 min". Which is pretty much what I expected. Looks like some kind of fault with it.

Now I guess I'll have to put up with poor battery life, but that will be down to me using it so much which I'm not bothered about!
    10-23-2011 03:53 PM
    So this is what I have after today's use. This is with most things turned off other than Siri and Facebook. Attachment 11060

I personally think its terrible but I will admit its better than my old android. What does everyone think? I plan on a restore tomorrow if I have time. Do you think it will help or would it just be a waste of time?
    Last edited by k.trent; 10-23-2011 at 10:47 PM.
    10-23-2011 10:44 PM
    So this is what I have after today's use. This is with most things turned off other than Siri and Facebook. Attachment 11060

I personally think its terrible but I will admit its better than my old android. What does everyone think? I plan on a restore tomorrow if I have time. Do you think it will help or would it just be a waste of time?
    That is way off from what it should be. I was at about the same standby time, 5 1/2 hours usage today and was at 35%. AND, I leave everything on (wifi, bluetooth, all push).

Do a restore and it should be better.
    10-23-2011 11:22 PM
    I was suffering with poor (poorer that I wanted/expected), so I did a restore and set my iPhone 4S up as new. It took me about 3 hours to get everything back the way it was... I lost my text messages... but I think I am glad that I did... tomorrow will start the RLT and I will post the results in a few days...
    10-24-2011 12:31 AM
    That is way off from what it should be. I was at about the same standby time, 5 1/2 hours usage today and was at 35%. AND, I leave everything on (wifi, bluetooth, all push).

Do a restore and it should be better.
    5 hrs. usage, 14 hrs. standby, 40%
    I also left most things on. My volume level was stuck for some reason, so I turned the phone off & on again. That seemed to improve my already decent battery life.

We should remember that not all "usage" impacts battery life the same way. 5 hrs. of listening to music is not the same as 5 hrs. of watching Youtube.
    10-24-2011 12:33 AM
734 ... 1011121314 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD