So last night, at around 3am, I unplugged my 4S and plugged in my iPad. When I woke up, my iPhone was down to 85%. Is anyone else experiencing this type of battery usage? My old iPhone would only be down to 98% when I did this before.

I can understand that during the day I a,using it a lot, but not when I'm asleep. Thoughts?

-John
    You got to remember it is using an A-5 processor and Siri. If you havent already done so close any Applications that may be running by clicking the home button twice, and holding your finger down on the icons at the bottom, then when the red delte in the corner of the icon comes up tap it, do it for all apps running in the background. This may help a little
    10-20-2011 08:10 PM
    Crazy. I just watched a 1/2hr show using Netflix on my 4s and only lost 3% battery. Not bad, not bad at all.

Beamed over the interwebz from my iPhone 4S using Siri.
    Do you think it may be an actual problem within phones?
    10-20-2011 08:11 PM
    I was having a horrible time with battery life on my iPhone 4S compared to the 4, but I think I have finally found the culprit.

I tried turning off locations services for Siri and then auto brightness. I also cut down on my push email but none of that worked and frankly none of it was necessary to be turned off on my iPhone 4.

What I think the culprit is was location services for the weather app. Now that it is in the notification center, I think it was constantly updating and checking.

Since then, I am at 46% at 7:15pm after taking off of the charge at 7:30am.

Now THIS is the battery life I was looking for in my shiny new phone!
    10-20-2011 08:14 PM
    I was having a horrible time with battery life on my iPhone 4S compared to the 4, but I think I have finally found the culprit.

I tried turning off locations services for Siri and then auto brightness. I also cut down on my push email but none of that worked and frankly none of it was necessary to be turned off on my iPhone 4.

What I think the culprit is was location services for the weather app. Now that it is in the notification center, I think it was constantly updating and checking.

Since then, I am at 46% at 7:15pm after taking off of the charge at 7:30am.

Now THIS is the battery life I was looking for in my shiny new phone!
    That may be. I faulted the Facebook app push notifications because the battery life went up when I disabled them, BUT I also disabled the weather widget at the same time. It may actually be that.

I am now down to 65% after 10hrs of moderate usage. Much better than before.

Last edited by MasterofPuppets; 10-20-2011 at 08:48 PM.
    10-20-2011 08:45 PM
    You got to remember it is using an A-5 processor and Siri. If you havent already done so close any Applications that may be running by clicking the home button twice, and holding your finger down on the icons at the bottom, then when the red delte in the corner of the icon comes up tap it, do it for all apps running in the background. This may help a little
    So, what does this do? I had a bunch of Apps there! Is this just turning them off. If you select them do they turn back on?
    10-20-2011 09:40 PM
    Pulled off the charger at 8:00 am. Moderate use, phone, web, facebook, siri, emails and texts. Currently at 40%. Not bad.
    10-20-2011 10:45 PM
    Mine seems slightly worse than it was on the the iP4 however much better than what I was getting on the Galaxy S2 so far. Will take another day or two of usage to be sure.
    10-20-2011 11:18 PM
    Took my phone off the charger around 8:00am been using it all day..Now 10:30pm..

5 hours of usage
    14.5 hours standy

Phone is at 44%.

So far i turned off, the weather app, facebook push, siri, auto brightness, always checking to see what apps are running, time zone, and a few other things and the battery seems to be lasting alot better..The first night, i was at 12% when i ended the night, last night at 20ish, and today about the same time i'm at 44% overall i say its getting much better.

I am now quite pleased with the phone.
    10-21-2011 01:31 AM
    So last night, at around 3am, I unplugged my 4S and plugged in my iPad. When I woke up, my iPhone was down to 85%. Is anyone else experiencing this type of battery usage? My old iPhone would only be down to 98% when I did this before.

I can understand that during the day I a,using it a lot, but not when I'm asleep. Thoughts?

-John
    I would like to hear if you have siri activated or not? As siri is not only an application in itself but it also keeps the gps turned on to keep a track of your location so thats why one has to be careful about this. As it drains a lot of battery!
    Also keeping timezone off will help you a little, still if there is a problem, then i guess you have a hardware problem.
    10-21-2011 01:52 AM
    It's SIRI she is working in the background watching us and running functions without us knowing.
    As I pointed out in my post, I turned SIRI off along with everything else one by one and it made no difference.
    10-21-2011 04:17 AM
    I went ahead and restored mine, im on sprint and my phone kept going to 1x instead of 3g which i think was causing the batt. to run down. Ill report back later on and see if the restore made the difference. It's actually a pretty painless process as long as you back up and restore from your back up once the OS installs.
    10-21-2011 11:42 AM
    As I pointed out in my post, I turned SIRI off along with everything else one by one and it made no difference.
    I feel like a broken record, but you should not need to turn Siri off to get a full day's use out of the 4S. That's fine if you really don't want to use Siri, but that should not be the reason for battery drain issues. Call Apple and let them walk you through their troubleshooting routine.
    10-21-2011 11:59 AM
    I would like to hear if you have siri activated or not? As siri is not only an application in itself but it also keeps the gps turned on to keep a track of your location so thats why one has to be careful about this. As it drains a lot of battery!
    Also keeping timezone off will help you a little, still if there is a problem, then i guess you have a hardware problem.
    Siri drains no battery simply by being on. I have it on and have only dropped 2% in 3hrs. It was Facebook push that was killing my battery. The FB app is and always has been crap.

10-21-2011 12:03 PM
    I feel like a broken record, but you should not need to turn Siri off to get a full day's use out of the 4S. That's fine if you really don't want to use Siri, but that should not be the reason for battery drain issues. Call Apple and let them walk you through their troubleshooting routine.
    I completely agree. What I was saying in my post was that I was just testing everything to see if there was some rogue process draining the battery and something that was related to the 4S only as I didn't have the problem on my 4 all through the betas of iOS 5.

Currently it seems like there is something that is running a lot more frequently than it should be because even when locked the usage figure goes up - not as fast as the standby figure, but not far off (e.g. 12 minutes extra usage in 15 minutes of standby). Other people I know with a 4 has their usage figures going up only when they are actually using it or slightly going up (e.g 2 minutes extra usage in 15 minutes of standby)
    10-21-2011 12:47 PM
    I went ahead and restored mine, im on sprint and my phone kept going to 1x instead of 3g which i think was causing the batt. to run down. Ill report back later on and see if the restore made the difference. It's actually a pretty painless process as long as you back up and restore from your back up once the OS installs.
    I'm on sprint as well and that has a lot to do with it. Poor signal. Sprints 3G right now is horrible and I let them hear about everyday. They really need to work on 3G before working on a lte network.
    10-21-2011 12:56 PM
    My 4s seems a lot worse than my 4. Here is a screen shot if my usage and battery % left. Not a lot of heavy use. Twitter, email, text, phone, Siri a bit, find my friends(tracking my 10yr old all the time). Does this usage and battery % seem right?

Attachment 10979
    That is good usage time
    10-21-2011 01:27 PM
    I just got my 4s a week ago. My Droid (or Drone) was horrible on battery life. I had a monster battery on it and only then did it seem normal. I was using a lot of power the first few days with the new phone, but then I was downloading a lot of aps. I took my iPhone off the charger 16 hours ago and it's sitting at 64%. I did do some things with it, but nothing earth shattering. My wifi and Siri have been on all this time and I've been receiving emails. Like some of you, I'm currently working on battery life fine tuning.
    When I ws shopping for a replacement phone I discovered the 4g phones chew up a lot more juice and after having gone thru 3 batterys with my original Droid, I said no thanks!!! If the new phone is faster and does more then I imaging it can easily use more, though Apple is claimimg there's a better battery in the 4s. I hope to avoid getting one of those add-a-battery-wrap-around cases.....
    Last edited by Motorbones; 10-21-2011 at 02:33 PM.
    10-21-2011 02:29 PM
    There is definitely something wrong with the battery life on the 4s. There is no way this should be worse than an evo 4g.
    10-21-2011 02:40 PM
    is "push" under the notification center?
    10-21-2011 03:13 PM
    This is my usage since I killed the FB push notifications. Better than my iPhone 4!

10-21-2011 03:44 PM
    Yea I have no FB or Twitter notifications, I seriousyl "cripple" it for mostly the battery life reason. I also found that I am more of a stock app user even. I use texting and email and safari more than anything else.
    10-21-2011 04:13 PM
    My usage has been has all been heavy video watching on netflix. I've also been switching between netflix and words with friends as well as answering phone calls and checking e-mails. How does it look?

10-21-2011 04:26 PM
    I just got my 4s a week ago. My Droid (or Drone) was horrible on battery life. I had a monster battery on it and only then did it seem normal. I was using a lot of power the first few days with the new phone, but then I was downloading a lot of aps. I took my iPhone off the charger 16 hours ago and it's sitting at 64%. I did do some things with it, but nothing earth shattering. My wifi and Siri have been on all this time and I've been receiving emails. Like some of you, I'm currently working on battery life fine tuning.
    When I ws shopping for a replacement phone I discovered the 4g phones chew up a lot more juice and after having gone thru 3 batterys with my original Droid, I said no thanks!!! If the new phone is faster and does more then I imaging it can easily use more, though Apple is claimimg there's a better battery in the 4s. I hope to avoid getting one of those add-a-battery-wrap-around cases.....
    I have that case, the mophie juice pack plus. I don't want to sound like an advertisement, but I get 10 hours from the juice pack alone. And that's with brightness all the way on, using GPS, twitter, Facebook, google+ notifications, phone calls, video games, a lot of texting, and video games. After all that, I still have 100 percent of my battery from my iPhone left. No holding back. That's the way I like to use my iPhone.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk
    10-21-2011 05:38 PM
    After leaving my iPhone 4S in the charger overnight, it's the battery level is only in the 90's. Even after an overnight charge I'm not at 100 percent. Help!

hello all!

i am having a somewhat strange issue.

i have left my iphone on the charge all night, but it only gets up to 92%, it does not go the full 100% charge. does anybody know why?

thank you!
    10-21-2011 05:53 PM
    I took some advice here and I disabled Facebook notifications. See how that goes. I hate Facebook anyway. The thing that bothers me is that we shouldn't have to be doing these kinds of things and we should be able to use our phones however we please without compromising with the battery, whether it helps or not and whether it's A5 or not.
    10-21-2011 06:06 PM
734 ... 910111213 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD