Battery life issues?

Diablo0

May 5, 2011
Visit site
I'm rather disappointed by the battery life as well. I've tried going through all the settings and turning off a lot of location services and notifications that I don't need/want. Also tinkered with push/fetch settings... so far nothing has really made the battery life improve.

When I got the phone I restored from a backup. I'm tempted to start from scratch and see if that helps any.

DrewBear

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
Everyday? Will the be okay for the battery capacity?
Quickly check out [URL="https://www.apple.com/batteries/maximizing-performance/#mn_p]Apple's battery tips[/URL].
Use iPhone Regularly

For proper maintenance of a lithium-based battery, it?s important to keep the electrons in it moving occasionally. Be sure to go through at least one charge cycle per month (charging the battery to 100% and then completely running it down).
I took this to mean that I should charge it at different levels. I don't set a fixed level (e.g. 50%) at which point I plug it in. I simply charge it at different levels each day. Usually that happens naturally depending on my usage, but sometimes I'll charge it early in the day (~90%) just to "confuse" the battery.

DrewBear

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
I'm rather disappointed by the battery life as well. I've tried going through all the settings and turning off a lot of location services and notifications that I don't need/want. Also tinkered with push/fetch settings... so far nothing has really made the battery life improve.

When I got the phone I restored from a backup. I'm tempted to start from scratch and see if that helps any.

If you go back a few pages on this thread you'll see someone post about starting from scratch. It seems to have worked for that person.

Rocktapus

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
i noticed after i disabled siri, my battery life got better. [i never used siri that much anyway] anybody else wanna try and confirm?

HarryStamper

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site
ipod touch with ios 5 battery issue

I have a 4S on order, I have been tinkering with my ipod touch and put ios 5 on it and suddenly the battery stinks. So I start reviewing issues turning this off and that off. Someone said a full restore and set up as new from itunes worked for them...so I tried it last night and it seems to have worked. I will monitor it during the day but its better.Interesting that Apple sent something out that has so many issues.

ccsuwxman

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
Went to bed last night around 11:30 pm at 97%. Woke up this morning at 7:45 am with 93%. So far I have no battery complaints. Seems pretty similar to my old 3GS.

sprocket2107

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
I'm a bit confused about the charge cycles. When I have it fully charged and let it go till it shut offs then charge it up again fully that is one cycle. What of I have it at 100 and let it to to 30% then charge it to 100. Does that also equal one cycle? I'm just concerned about running out of charge cycles and having terrible battery life or having to pay 80 bucks for a new phone because the battery crapped out.

anon(4742778)

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
So last night, at around 3am, I unplugged my 4S and plugged in my iPad. When I woke up, my iPhone was down to 85%. Is anyone else experiencing this type of battery usage? My old iPhone would only be down to 98% when I did this before.

I can understand that during the day I a,using it a lot, but not when I'm asleep. Thoughts?

-John
It is most likely an issue with push. Facebook push is experiencing issues and will cut your battery life in half. Also make sure push is off for games since a lot do not actually utilize push.

Gooster

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
I honestly read about 6 of the 20 pages in the thread but I thought having wi-fi enabled actually helped battery life?

Had my phone in sleep mode for 8 hours and woke up with 98%. I notice the battery life is not great when I'm in my bedroom where my signal is shoddy. Anywhere else in my apartment or in my travels and the battery life is not so bad but nowhere near how great my iPhone 4 was.

I think it could be an iOS 5 issue, but I barely used iOS 5 on my iPhone 4 to really test that theory. I really hope this is addressed in the next update. But I also think it could be the battery adjusting itself.

Can't wait for the not-so-clever "BATTERYGATE!!!!" ;)

Edit: Btw I had let the phone completely die to refresh the cycle, but man the second night it had actually died all on its own. I was really surprised to have charged the phone to 100% around 11PM, leave it in sleep mode and wake up to 98% and not like 85%.

Last edited:

clg82

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
I honestly read about 6 of the 20 pages in the thread but I thought having wi-fi enabled actually helped battery life?

Had my phone in sleep mode for 8 hours and woke up with 98%. I notice the battery life is not great when I'm in my bedroom where my signal is shoddy. Anywhere else in my apartment or in my travels and the battery life is not so bad but nowhere near how great my iPhone 4 was.

I think it could be an iOS 5 issue, but I barely used iOS 5 on my iPhone 4 to really test that theory. I really hope this is addressed in the next update. But I also think it could be the battery adjusting itself.

Can't wait for the not-so-clever "BATTERYGATE!!!!" ;)

Edit: Btw I had let the phone completely die to refresh the cycle, but man the second night it had actually died all on its own. I was really surprised to have charged the phone to 100% around 11PM, leave it in sleep mode and wake up to 98% and not like 85%.

I will put in my .02 here since I have been using ios 5 on my regular iphone 4 since it was released. I have NOT experienced any significant difference in battery life since switching to ios 5......so I don't think that is the problem....sorry i couldn't be of more help....just glad I didn't upgrade to the 4s just for siri ;) :eek::rolleyes:

Mr. Hutch

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
Highly unlikely

I can't believe that any android device gets that much battery life lol, are you closing background apps that are no longer in use, are you disabling the automatic light adjusting, turning off wifi when not needed, disabling location services & etc

Srghalahad

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
Very noticeable

I started noticing it a few days ago. Even with bluetooth and wifi off, it dropped about 10%!per hour. I streamed a hockey game for an hour on 3G and it used 40%. What I also noticed is how slow it charges.

This is my log from yesterday....

58% @ 12:00
46% @ 1:17 (turned Bluetooth off)
43% @ 2:29

42% @2:33 (plugged in to old charger, Bluetooth on)
53% @3:00(unplugged, and Bluetooth off)

48% @ 4:55
34% @ 6:37 (plugged in to car charger)
42%@6:59*
12% '@8:30 (streamed audio for an hour)

j00791

Oct 14, 2011
Visit site
Remember that the iOS 5 and iPhone 4S wirelessly sync when they are plugged in, so turning off wireless sync could help solve the issue for now. Try that out.

jauhari

Oct 2, 2010
Visit site
Please note.. if you iPhone 4S more warm than usual there are something wrong and will eat your battery much faster.... our tips is simple.. try to close all apps and hard reset (hold power and home button until Apple Logo appear)

davidra

Dec 12, 2006
Visit site
In theory we're not supposed to worry about it. On my iPad 1 things sometimes slow down if certain apps are in that "running" tray (they're not really fully active). Speed improves when I close some of those. But I'm not going to do that with my 4S until I notice slower performance.

I am skeptical. My 4S stopped showing notifications for some reason; closing all tray apps and rebooting fixed the problem. I had about thirty apps running. One of the really stupid things about this OS is the process of closing apps. It is incredibly unwieldy. Hopefully they will go to a card system like WebOS; if you want an app running, you leave the card in place, but to get rid of it, just throw it off the screen. They could learn something from their notification system as well.

lgreenberg

Dec 2, 2008
www.active.com
I woke up this morning and I was at 100%. My phone is still on charger and I have been watching it slowly go down, now i'm at 94%?

Been having this issue as well.

Place phone in charger at night.

Wake up, phone is at 100%.

I leave it on the charger and come back later and it's started to drop even though it's still plugged in.

OmnigeekMedia

May 19, 2011
Visit site
I don't have any empirical data, but I feel the battery life isn't as good on my iPhone 4 with iOS5 and it was with iOS4. But its hard until you're actually measuring it to be for sure. It could be I'm using it a bit more than before. It could be changes in notifications. It could be wireless sync. It could be iMessage.

I tweeked a few settings yesterday including the timezone adjustment and turned off a new notifications and I seem to be back to getting 2 days on a full charge.

I know this is bad, but when it starts telling me at 25% my battery is getting low, I usually recharge it and I try to let it fully charge. I rarely let it run all the way down. My son with this 3Gs typically charges it for a few minutes to get a little life in it. I can't get him to fully charge his phone, but with it being almost 2 years old, when it is charged up it seems to do pretty goo.

DreamOutLoud65

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
Like was mentioned before.. if you put it on airport plane mode before you go to sleep. Turns off everything so that saves battery life.. I also turn off a lot of my notifications too.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Modernormal