First few days of usage the batter drained very rapidly! I discovered a possible repair. (Atleast it worked for my iPhone 4s for me) First test day: on at 5 am. Medium usage all day, by 5 pm it was down to 26% The repair is to FIRST backup your info on iTunes! Connect the iPhone to iTunes and perform a "restore". Restoring the phone to system specs seemed the trick for me. Second test day: On at 5 am, medium usage all day and by 5 pm battery life was STILL 78%. A noted improvement. Good luck!
    10-19-2011 08:01 PM
    So last night, at around 3am, I unplugged my 4S and plugged in my iPad. When I woke up, my iPhone was down to 85%. Is anyone else experiencing this type of battery usage? My old iPhone would only be down to 98% when I did this before.

I can understand that during the day I a,using it a lot, but not when I'm asleep. Thoughts?

-John
    Mine's doing the same. My battery won't even last all day now. I have to spot charge it when i can..
    10-19-2011 08:05 PM
    I've been battling a battery issue for several days but I ran across a post in this thread I believe that said the Facebook app had a problem with push notifications causing a problem so I disabled all push notifications for Facebook. Doing so has greatly increased my battery life almost 2 fold. Might be worth looking into for those having issues that have the Facebook app.
    10-19-2011 08:23 PM
    Well, I have to say that my battery seems to be doing better now. Right now at 9pm, I'm down to 30%. Not as good as when I had the 4, but better than what this one started with. I dont think it's ios 5. I had that on my 4 for over a month and there was no noticeable decrease in battery life.

On the other hand, my wife's battery life made mine look great. I restored her phone and set it up as a new phone and now she is doing ok. That may be the trick for those who have not gotten any better life out of their batteries.
    10-19-2011 08:47 PM
    I've been battling a battery issue for several days but I ran across a post in this thread I believe that said the Facebook app had a problem with push notifications causing a problem so I disabled all push notifications for Facebook. Doing so has greatly increased my battery life almost 2 fold. Might be worth looking into for those having issues that have the Facebook app.
    I am going to try that and report back. The FB app is slow and stupid at the best of times, I wouldn't be surprised if that was it.
    10-19-2011 10:51 PM
    Been having the same issues as most on here. Would charge the phone to 100% and use it and find that it would drop 1% every couple of minutes.... I had it sitting there and it would drop a couple of % every 10-15minutes...

I tried numerous things and my phone now seems to be quite stable and the battery is comparible to how my old 3GS was when it was new.. I dont know if its anything I did or just the battery taking a few cycles to settle in. But worth a try if your situation is not improving at all...

First thing i did was turn off all the notifications and location services that i didnt need. kept the ones that i wanted. switched off the set time zone function and turned off icloud. Still had email and my apps as per normal. Didnt have many push notifications on (as i dont like having push notification on anyway) This helped the standby time improve a tiny bit. but not much difference

Second thing i tried was removing the facebook app all together and turned off the auto-brightness function. I set the brightness of the screen to just under a half. This actually helped the battery life quite abit. The drain was barely noticeable when the phone was not in use. I left it on with wifi on overnight and it drained 2-3% in 9 hours. when the battery got to 2% i checked the usage and it was
    Usage - 9 hours 10 min
    standby - 1 day 2 hours

I then tried to fully discharge and recharge the phone. once this was complete i turned off iMessage (i dont need iMessage as i have unlimited text included in my call allowances which renders it useless). I have now been using the phone quite heavily (made phone calls, sending 15+ texts, playing a few games and checking and replying to email + wifi on) and after 45 minutes use and an hour standby its dropped 2% and im on 98%

Again this could just be the battery starting to settle after a few cycles, or could be something up with the software but it seems to be better then when i got it 5 days ago.
    In saying that I agree with others that you shouldnt have to tweak the phone so much to just get more battery life out of it...which is a little disappointing... its kind of like buying an expensive sports car and only allowed to push it because if you turn anything on youll run out of fuel.
    10-20-2011 12:10 AM
    I have now disabled Facebook push notifications and the weather notification pull down widget and the high battery drain seems to have stopped. I will use it a bit longer and report again.

Beamed over the interwebz from my iPhone 4S using Siri.
    omniwolf1 likes this.
    10-20-2011 12:29 AM
    I have not changed yet but was having huge battery drain on my incredible for some reason. I did determine it was the latest update to facebook app that was draining it, so I would not be surprised it is a problem with the iPhones also.
    10-20-2011 02:49 AM
    I got my 4S on Friday and restored it from my 4 on Friday evening. Put it on charge overnight as usual and took it off charge around 7:30am on Saturday. As usual on a weekend, I didn't use it much. My 4 would usually end the day (around 11pm) with 70% battery left on a weekend. Weekday it would be around 50%. My 4S turned itself off at 9:30pm because it had run out of battery!

Charged it up again on Saturday night and the on Sunday it lasted a little better even though it still wasn't used much. Finished at 11pm with about 11% left although it had been topped up a little earlier.

It's been pretty much the same every day this week - nowhere near as good as the 4 and I've not been using it any more than my 4. If anything I've been using it less for fear of running out of battery when I need it!

Last night I did a restore through iTunes and set everything up as new - didn't use the backup. Same problem this morning with the battery running down very quickly (currently 92% and it's been off charge for 2hr 20mins).

One thing I've noticed is that the Usage figures (Settings->General->Usage) don't seem right. I've been noticing the "Usage" figure going up even though the phone has been locked. I know it goes up when it does certain background tasks, but yesterday it said "Standby 12hr 1min, Usage 9hr, 29min". There's no way I've used it for 9 hours yesterday.

This morning I've been turning things off one by one - bluetooth, push, siri, notifications, location, email, wifi, until finally putting it in airplane mode. No matter what, the usage still keeps going up (eg lock the phone, then unlock it a little while later and the standby has increased by 9 mins (correct) but the usage has increased by 7 mins). The only thing that stopped this usage increasing was when I put it into airplane mode.

I've also made sure I killed all the processes in the multitasking bar, reset network settings, reset the phone, restarted the phone, turned off location services....

My old 4 never did this and my wife's 4 only increases the usage when she is using it. The battery life I used to get on my 4 was excellent all the way through every beta of iOS 5 and when the final release was put on.

I'm in a really good signal area and I've not been moving around.

It looks to me like there is some rogue process running in the background and using too much power which only seems to affect the 4S. I've made an appointment with the Genius bar so hopefully it's just a dodgy hardware and it will be replaced and all will be good again. I guess it might be something in the iOS though and that will be sorted (hopefully!) in a point release very soon....
    Last edited by NickBull; 10-20-2011 at 05:07 AM.
    10-20-2011 05:01 AM
    I always charge my iPhone overnight and I have noticed with the 4S that I'll wake up and rather than being fully charged to 100%, the phone will be at 92, 93%. Seems odd - I never had this problem with my 3GS.
    10-20-2011 06:36 AM
    I solved mine (IPOD touch) by doing a restore and setting up as new. Before the battery ran down very quickly, now its incredible. Like all day, with push on email and very little discharge. The only thing i turned off was the location settings. If you have a iphone 4 look at the posts where people did the restore. It works.
    10-20-2011 07:50 AM
    I always charge my iPhone overnight and I have noticed with the 4S that I'll wake up and rather than being fully charged to 100%, the phone will be at 92, 93%. Seems odd - I never had this problem with my 3GS.
    Just curious, what are you using to charge?

The cable that came included or something else like an iHome or other dock?
    10-20-2011 07:51 AM
    anyone else report on the facebook app?
    10-20-2011 11:25 AM
    Just curious, what are you using to charge?

The cable that came included or something else like an iHome or other dock?
    I'm using an iPhone cable - but the one that came with my 3GS, not the one in the 4S box.

Is the problem likely avoidable if I used the newer charger?
    10-20-2011 11:27 AM
    I made those changes this morning...we'll see how it goes.
    10-20-2011 11:29 AM
    Did a full restore as new phone last night, things are much better today. Battery stayed @ 100% for 2 hours with a few texts and emails. Before it would drop to 98% as soon as I took it off the charger. All locations, wifi, bluetooth, and notifications are turned on. I am sitting at 96% right now, about the same as my previous Iphone 4.
    10-20-2011 12:52 PM
    My battery life has gone from total crap to phenomenal since i disabled FB push notifications and the weather widget in the notification shade. It's now on par with my previous iPhone 4.

I have dropped 4% in 3hrs with minor use (some surfing, etc).

Fausty82 and cr12#IM like this.
    10-20-2011 01:16 PM
    My battery life has gone from total crap to phenomenal since i disabled FB push notifications and the weather widget in the notification shade. It's now on par with my previous iPhone 4.
    Co-sign...wow, looks like Facebook was the caper...
    10-20-2011 01:27 PM

I have dropped 4% in 3hrs with minor use (some surfing, etc).
    Thanks for that tip. The settings were buried several layers deep. I turned them all off and now to see the effect.

BTW, I am still easily getting through the day with the 4S battery - but only have about 25-30% left at EOD as opposed to 40-45% with the iPhone 4.
    10-20-2011 01:43 PM
    I'm using an iPhone cable - but the one that came with my 3GS, not the one in the 4S box.

Not sure, the one that came with the box is worth a try.

I was using an iPhone dock and saw discharging while docked. When I switched to the regular cable it seemed to go away.

Still testing though.
    10-20-2011 02:09 PM
    Turned off most of the FB push notifications, yesterday mid day and my battery was much better..Then at night turned off ALL FB push notifications and currently with about 4-5 hours of heavy texting use, and some apps, i'm at 83%.

Oh, and also turned off the weather app in the notification bar.
    10-20-2011 03:24 PM

I don't know about the 3gs cable, but the one for my 3g does not fit snug into the charging port. As long as I use the one from the box I am good, or one made for the 4. Maybe the cable slips out and isn't fully charging your phone.

I would definitely give the cable from the box a try and see if you have better results.
    10-20-2011 04:38 PM
    I got my 4S on Friday and restored it from my 4 on Friday evening. Put it on charge overnight as usual and took it off charge around 7:30am on Saturday. As usual on a weekend, I didn't use it much. My 4 would usually end the day (around 11pm) with 70% battery left on a weekend. Weekday it would be around 50%. My 4S turned itself off at 9:30pm because it had run out of battery!

Charged it up again on Saturday night and the on Sunday it lasted a little better even though it still wasn't used much. Finished at 11pm with about 11% left although it had been topped up a little earlier.

It's been pretty much the same every day this week - nowhere near as good as the 4 and I've not been using it any more than my 4. If anything I've been using it less for fear of running out of battery when I need it!

Last night I did a restore through iTunes and set everything up as new - didn't use the backup. Same problem this morning with the battery running down very quickly (currently 92% and it's been off charge for 2hr 20mins).

One thing I've noticed is that the Usage figures (Settings->General->Usage) don't seem right. I've been noticing the "Usage" figure going up even though the phone has been locked. I know it goes up when it does certain background tasks, but yesterday it said "Standby 12hr 1min, Usage 9hr, 29min". There's no way I've used it for 9 hours yesterday.

This morning I've been turning things off one by one - bluetooth, push, siri, notifications, location, email, wifi, until finally putting it in airplane mode. No matter what, the usage still keeps going up (eg lock the phone, then unlock it a little while later and the standby has increased by 9 mins (correct) but the usage has increased by 7 mins). The only thing that stopped this usage increasing was when I put it into airplane mode.

I've also made sure I killed all the processes in the multitasking bar, reset network settings, reset the phone, restarted the phone, turned off location services....

My old 4 never did this and my wife's 4 only increases the usage when she is using it. The battery life I used to get on my 4 was excellent all the way through every beta of iOS 5 and when the final release was put on.

I'm in a really good signal area and I've not been moving around.

It looks to me like there is some rogue process running in the background and using too much power which only seems to affect the 4S. I've made an appointment with the Genius bar so hopefully it's just a dodgy hardware and it will be replaced and all will be good again. I guess it might be something in the iOS though and that will be sorted (hopefully!) in a point release very soon....

It's SIRI she is working in the background watching us and running functions without us knowing.
    10-20-2011 06:29 PM
    Crazy. I just watched a 1/2hr show using Netflix on my 4s and only lost 3% battery. Not bad, not bad at all.

10-20-2011 07:28 PM
    My 4s seems a lot worse than my 4. Here is a screen shot if my usage and battery % left. Not a lot of heavy use. Twitter, email, text, phone, Siri a bit, find my friends(tracking my 10yr old all the time). Does this usage and battery % seem right?

Attachment 10979
    10-20-2011 07:51 PM
734 ... 89101112 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD