Okay, just to start, this is not my first iPhone. Had three previous iPhone 4's in my house, two which were white and still have two in the house, one black one white.

There seems to be a gigantic flaw with my camera flash. It seems to be acting like the flash of the white iPhone that they wouldn't release initially due to the flash blowing out photos and whiting them out. Whenever i take a photo in the dark or even moderate dark my picture comes out completely jacked up. The phone is a brand new iPhone 4s 32gb white. Naked, no case. Used my daughters white 16gb iPhone 4 and its sooooo much better! When you go to take a photo and the camera pre-flashes to acquire focus it looks like it will come out perfect, then it takes the photo and uses full power flash and looks like complete junk. Heres some examples.

Untitled by StevenJ_AK, on Flickr

So after looking at them, and then looking at the EXIF Data it looks to me the problem is the camera is forcing a f2.4 aperture. Where the old iPhone was a 2.8 (a half a stop slower) and that combined with ISO 800 and full power flash is washing out the pictures, defintaly something that could be fixed with software that won't allow f2.4 and will only allow f2.8

PS don't mind the pictures
    10-14-2011 09:31 PM
    Yep the i4s sits behind a f/2.4aperture, improved from the old phone's f/2.8. That's not the problem. Maybe you have a defective device?? Take some shots in natural lighting & day lighting and let's see whats what.
    10-14-2011 09:43 PM
    Yep the i4s sits behind a f/2.4aperture, improved from the old phone's f/2.8. That's not the problem. Maybe you have a defective device?? Take some shots in natural lighting & day lighting and let's see whats what.
    Im definitely not arguing the point the S takes better photos during the day than my other 4's because quite frankly it does! In fact I've been very pleased with its daytime results. Even indoors under incandescent lights, it does great. Looking at the EXIF it seems like it always is shooting at f2.4 which sorta kills me. Normally the sweet spot of a camera during the day is f8 to f11. Hence the sunny 16 rule. I don't know, I'm headed up to mall tomorrow to the apple store because thats just not right to me. Im not trying to shoot a shallow DOF with a phone, i just want a quality picture. If i wanted DOF i wouldn't be using the iPhone thats for sure.

4.3mm, f2.4 , ISO 80, 1/60 shutter
    10-14-2011 11:03 PM
    So you base it on one phone, maybe you got a bad phone?
    10-14-2011 11:05 PM
    I think i might have actually. Its not that big of a deal in all reality. Apple has always been really good for me changing out phones if need be (so far only twice out of 12 iPhones we have had!) so like i said, I scheduled a genius bar appt for tomorrow and ill show them and see what they say.
    10-14-2011 11:23 PM
    Attachment 10714 hmm. Looks fine to me. Just took it with my 64GB white
    10-14-2011 11:27 PM
    Attachment 10714 hmm. Looks fine to me. Just took it with my 64GB white
    is this shot at night with flash because i have the same problem with the OP
    10-15-2011 12:01 AM
    @steven you have to take the back plastic cover and try it again
    10-15-2011 12:13 AM
    is this shot at night with flash because i have the same problem with the OP
    I'm guessing neither of you have taken the back plastic screen film off. That makes the flash freak out like that. funny. my first pic looked like that too.
    10-15-2011 01:03 AM
    I took ones that looked like yours where it is completely dark by my house but right outside this is what my picture looked like.

I just think it can't be pitch black and it will be ok...
    10-15-2011 01:20 AM
    I'm guessing neither of you have taken the back plastic screen film off. That makes the flash freak out like that. funny. my first pic looked like that too.
    Mine us doing the same as the OP but I do still have the film on as I have not purchased protection for it yet. I assumed this is why my flash was freaking out. Lol
    10-15-2011 01:38 AM
    My White iPhone 32GB is doing the same thing without the plastic in the back of the phone.
    10-17-2011 12:51 PM
    I want to second that incident. My pictures (white 4s) seem to be washed out once the flash goes off. Editing it obviously remedies the problem mostly, but I'd like to know if this exclusive to white iPhones. Anyone showing this in outdoor shots with a black iPhone?
    10-17-2011 09:23 PM
    Let's see a side by side comparison of black and white iPhone 4S' taking the same pic at night.
    10-17-2011 09:32 PM
    Yeah, ideally that's what I'd like to see :/ unfortunately, both me and my girlfriend have the white model.
    10-17-2011 09:43 PM
    Ok, just to update on what I've found:

I have an incase slider (black) that seems to affect the distribution of the flash somewhat, even though I thought it wouldn't. Furthermore, I found that placing your left hand near the flash when holding the phone horizontally, as is natural, the nail of my middle finger actually reflects a ton of flash into the photo and creates that affect. Hence, with my phone uncovered and uninstructed, I was able to get much improved results where the flash didn't wash out the colors in a very dark, outdoor shot. Sorry for the over-analysis and lack of pictures lol
    10-17-2011 10:06 PM
    Yeah, ideally that's what I'd like to see :/ unfortunately, both me and my girlfriend have the white model.
    I'm also unable to do the white vs black comparison because of 2 white iPhone 4S's in the family...
    10-18-2011 09:54 AM
    My White iPhone 32GB is doing the same thing without the plastic in the back of the phone.

Same story here. 32GB 4S in the pictures are either washed out or have weird spots/bubbles almost every time the flash is used. Total bummer. Might take it in and trade it for a black one.
    10-21-2011 12:26 AM
    I had this issue on my black 4s also until yesterday. Whenever it's using flash it's washed out. I realized yesterday that I didn't remove my back film before I put it in the otter box . Now my flash pictures looks awesome.
    10-21-2011 08:33 AM
    I had this issue on my black 4s also until yesterday. Whenever it's using flash it's washed out. I realized yesterday that I didn't remove my back film before I put it in the otter box . Now my flash pictures looks awesome.
    I did the same exact thing with my phone the first day I had it. What the funny thing is, my Zagg shield doesn't make the camera do the same thing.
    10-21-2011 08:39 AM
    *sigh*

I wish people would remember that this is a camera on a PHONE....as far as technology has come, we have to remember that things have a long way to go...
    10-21-2011 10:55 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD