Activation issues? (Any carrier)

plex03

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
I just came from the local Apple Store here in Indianapolis (picking up a mac book pro) and the guy said that none of the 3 carriers (VZW, AT&T, Sprint) can activate right now due to the servers being down.

rdbecker

Jul 4, 2008
Visit site
For the second time I've skated right through the activation on the phone and it proceeds to restore from backup. Problem is, the phone is never activated. No activation errors displayed on the screen. Once everything is restored, I have no ability to force an activation in iTunes or on the phone itself.

!BigTex71

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
After retrying several times, my phone finally activated around noon Central Time. I am on Verizon, BTW.

I am enjoying my first iPhone very much now! :D

ame

Trusted Member
Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
I am on try 8. If I can't get it, Im just going to have to wait til I get home and do it there on my iTunes. I need to ship my current phone to my friend by 5pm

rdbecker

Jul 4, 2008
Visit site
So now I'm trying to activate over iTunes and it goes straight to "Set Up Your iPhone" and wants me to restore from backup. Seems to me it should activate first.

TheMinibishop

Jun 22, 2010
Visit site
Well, after 4 hours, I called up AT&T. Apparently, the reason my activation was having problems was because they had to manually add the components of my contract back in the system, i.e. my data and messaging plans. As we were talking, my 4S started to display "no service." She told me the activation would complete now...it didn't. So I'm trying again for the second time since that call.

The moral of the story? Had I not called, she said I would have been upset for about two days, because of the lag in the system. So if you're having issues, just call and double-check to make sure they don't have to manually put stuff back on the account.

I'll update again once I'm actually having a conversation with Siri.

Appleshampoo

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
i called AT&T and she said she can replace my IEID over the phone but it could take 24 hours to update or I can keep trying iTunes every 2 hours -____-

pokey318

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site
I am on the phone with AT&T and was told that you have to call them to activate your sim. When Apply shipped the phone, AT&T doesn't know your sim number, the ICCID # located on the sim itself or on the box. Once AT&T enters you sim number, you will be good to go with them, but still have to wait for the Apple activation.

Once AT&T did their activations, I was able to get some bars or service on the phone which I didn't have before. I still can not make calls yet, and now my old sim is deactivated, but at least I am home and don't need my cell for a while.

I don't know if this step has to be done, but according to the woman I spoke to, if you preordered from Apple, it does. I didn't ask about AT&T preorders, but I would guess it is the same.

lazerbyte

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
when you connect your phone to itunes it will relay that information to the server so it will know your information.

The activation servers are down and this is why it is taking so long to get activated!

Soo many people got iphones it overloaded the network!

pokey318

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site
Within 10 minutes of getting off the phone with AT&T, my phone activated. I had not connected to iTunes before that, so I don't know how that would have worked. Whatever, my phone is restored and working!!

MarcGoldie

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
Mine did finally work with AT&T this morning after the 3rd try. I am thinking I am lucky since I had my phone by 10AM, I'm sure not everyone else did yet so the servers weren't as bad as they likely are later in the day.

I finally synced with iTunes all my apps, music, etc (took nearly 5 hours) and now I'm starting to play with my new toy!

boomhower1820

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
I guess stuck working all day isn't that bad afterall if they aren't getting activated. It's going to be pushing eight before I get to crack the box on mine.

Mmmpppccc

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
Wrong phone number

My phone is set to my son's number. His was an upgrade, mine was a new line on a family plan. We ordered through apple online. Phone says "if this is not your phone number, call apple"

Update: operator error, the phone number that came up was the main number on our family account....I risked accepting thr wrong number and it worked. Used the verizon *228 and set it up with the right number.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73