4S downloads speeds are not faster than Iphone4 speeds

Rayman2170

Jan 30, 2009
Visit site
The iPhone 4s is still a 3G phone. hspa+ just ups the 3g max speed to 14.4 mbps. The iPhone 4 is capped at 7.2. So if you get anything under 7.2 you will see no difference between the two phones. The only people who will see a difference will be the ones who regularly hit the hspa cap at around 7.2 Mbps on their iPhone 4 or 3GS.

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
I'm upset this phone is HSPA+ and advertised as a 4G phone. I'm in a city with good 3G coverage. Always 4-5 cars. My Iphone4 was able to get 2.75 Mbps to 3.5 Mbps and earlier this morning tested the Iphone4 at my location with Speedtest app. I got a 3.01 Mbps. I just now tested the Iphone4S on the same app sitting in the same position and received a 3.55 Mbps download speed. Grrrrr

I'm not happy about having a 4S with download speeds almost the same as my Iphone4 but a nats ass faster. I have a strong 3G coverage area in this city so I'm not happy about it. Other than that the phone is amazing. Browser speed is definately faster than the Iphone4.

Seems like your area is like my area. 3G only.

You need to be in an area with enhanced backhaul or what AT&T calls 4G.

Don't be that upset. In areas like ours we're not likely to get LTE any time soon either.

True story though, my bro in law is happy as a clam with his 4G Epic from Sprint. He really emphasizes that 4G to everyone. But Sprint doesn't even offer wimax in our area and probably won't with their LTE plans. Even though i've told him, I don't think he believed me. He saw all the 4G signs too.

dcgore

Jul 22, 2011
Visit site
I'm upset this phone is HSPA+ and advertised as a 4G phone. I'm in a city with good 3G coverage. Always 4-5 cars. My Iphone4 was able to get 2.75 Mbps to 3.5 Mbps and earlier this morning tested the Iphone4 at my location with Speedtest app. I got a 3.01 Mbps. I just now tested the Iphone4S on the same app sitting in the same position and received a 3.55 Mbps download speed. Grrrrr

I'm not happy about having a 4S with download speeds almost the same as my Iphone4 but a nats ass faster. I have a strong 3G coverage area in this city so I'm not happy about it. Other than that the phone is amazing. Browser speed is definately faster than the Iphone4.

Yeah dude, the thing is that no matter how capable the phone is in achiving the "stated" speeds, it's all on the network. I live in Manhattan and when i had att i would average 1.7mbps down, with VZ i now get 2.3 or so down. I never ever saw speeds over 2.5mbps down with att and no matter if i have a phone capaple of HSPA+ of 21.1, i will still get 1.5.

So seeing that my service with VZ in manhattan is faster and without a doubt more relieable, i am happy with the 3G VZ service. That said, there's people in the Midwest who get 5mbps or more so i would probably choose att then.

Guacho

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
Seems like your area is like my area. 3G only.

You need to be in an area with enhanced backhaul or what AT&T calls 4G.

Don't be that upset. In areas like ours we're not likely to get LTE any time soon either.

True story though, my bro in law is happy as a clam with his 4G Epic from Sprint. He really emphasizes that 4G to everyone. But Sprint doesn't even offer wimax in our area and probably won't with their LTE plans. Even though i've told him, I don't think he believed me. He saw all the 4G signs too.

Hahah I know exactly what you mean, two people from my work have showed me their new android 4G phones and they had no idea 4G was a network, for some reason they thought it was a super fast phone just for being 4G..

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I don't know about you but i DEFINITELY notice a difference...i just tested it because of this thread (though i had already noticed it before) and its noticeably faster than my iPhone 4 was...tethering is faster too, MUCH faster.

Im in a good market since Atlanta is one of AT&T's focus markets (and one of the headquarters), so that would probably explain it.

nyc_rock

Sep 19, 2006
Visit site
Im in a "4G" area. Just ran a speed test:

5.91 Mbps down
1.78 Mbps up

Not complaining. You wont get that on Verizon or Sprint.

Bias X

Aug 2, 2011
Visit site
I don't know about you but i DEFINITELY notice a difference...i just tested it because of this thread (though i had already noticed it before) and its noticeably faster than my iPhone 4 was...tethering is faster too, MUCH faster.

Im in a good market since Atlanta is one of AT&T's focus markets (and one of the headquarters), so that would probably explain it.

Not sure why, but Ogden, Utah has always been up to date with towers/service.
We have reasonably good wimax from sprint, HSPA+ coverage from At&t, and according to Verizon's LTE coverage map, we should have that too. OH and Tmo gets about 4-5 bars on HSPA+ as well.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73