My first post...be nice.

I'm a current Android user and a frequent user of the speech-to-text feature. Question regarding how the iPhone dictation handles punctuation...

On my Android, if I say something like "I am at the game period (short pause) are you here yet question mark" it will print "I am at the game. Are you here yet?". Are you able to speak the punctuation on an iPhone as well?

Thanks very much!
    10-14-2011 09:16 AM
    My first post...be nice.

I'm a current Android user and a frequent user of the speech-to-text feature. Question regarding how the iPhone dictation handles punctuation...

On my Android, if I say something like "I am at the game period (short pause) are you here yet question mark" it will print "I am at the game. Are you here yet?". Are you able to speak the punctuation on an iPhone as well?

Thanks very much!
    Yes, you can do exactly that with the same results.
    bostoneagle104 likes this.
    10-14-2011 09:21 AM
    I tried what you said word for word in Siri. 1 route without saying punctuation, and the other route with punctuation.

In Siri, when speaking if you pause that means it thinks you are done, even a quick pause. To have puncuation in a Siri message. You have to say "I am at the game period Are you here yet question mark than Siri spits out "I am at the game. Are you here yet?" If you don't say the puncuation Siri will leave it out and it will say " I am at the game are you here yet "

Hope this helps. Basically Siri isn't going to do anything you didn't tell it too.

Josh
    bostoneagle104 likes this.
    10-14-2011 09:27 AM
    I tried what you said word for word in Siri. 1 route without saying punctuation, and the other route with punctuation.

In Siri, when speaking if you pause that means it thinks you are done, even a quick pause. To have puncuation in a Siri message. You have to say "I am at the game period Are you here yet question mark than Siri spits out "I am at the game. Are you here yet?" If you don't say the puncuation Siri will leave it out and it will say " I am at the game are you here yet "

Hope this helps. Basically Siri isn't going to do anything you didn't tell it too.

Josh
    He was referring to text dictation, not Siri. At least that is how I took it.
    10-14-2011 09:28 AM
    He was referring to text dictation, not Siri. At least that is how I took it.
    I'm referring to sending a text message. Not sure if that means you are using Siri or general text dication on an iPhone.
    10-14-2011 09:30 AM
    When the original thread creator said Speech to text I only assumed thats what he was refering about. My fault.
    10-14-2011 09:33 AM
    I'm referring to sending a text message. Not sure if that means you are using Siri or general text dication on an iPhone.
    You can do it either way. You can tell Siri to send a text or you can use the text dictation button on the keyboard within the messaging application. The other poster was correct with what he said about how Siri will listen to you but the dictation will handle it a bit differently.
    10-14-2011 09:40 AM
    How long before Siri or simple dictation can understand the pauses and inflections in your voice?
    10-14-2011 09:59 AM
    How long before Siri or simple dictation can understand the pauses and inflections in your voice?
    For Release 2, Siri will recognize sarcasm and cattyness and throw in emoticons???

ha!
    10-14-2011 10:04 AM
    For Release 2, Siri will recognize sarcasm and cattyness and throw in emoticons???

ha!
    oh now that would be a fun thing to test..... have it use the front camera to check your face. and copy it as an emote!!
    E_Brown likes this.
    10-14-2011 11:12 AM
    Probably not soon since there are so many people who always sound like they are asking a question.
    10-14-2011 11:32 AM
    I said Goodnight to Siri at 10:09 am and her voice changed like i was an ***** and said good night, its only 10:09 am, lol
    10-14-2011 11:58 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD