No "enable 3G" option button

eggzenbeanz

Oct 14, 2011
Visit site
Just got the 4s, very happy with it.

But..... There is no option for "enable 3G" in settings ---> General ---> Network.

1st option is "mobile data" button

Iphone 4 is ok, my 3gs is ok. Just the 4s.

I hope this is a mistake as not being able to turn off 3g is piss poor. I rarely use it to save battery.

eggzenbeanz

Oct 14, 2011
Visit site
maybe has to do with iphone 4S having 2 antennas

Could be. I'm sure in 2011 it must be possible to turn off 3g with 2 antennas though.

It makes no sense to be using wifi and be connected to 3g. Massive arse pain.

I phoned apple UK, they were stumped. They're sending me an email. Which is nice.

MustangLife

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
Can't locate 3G on/off on the Iphone 4S - Maybe cause of Siri

Its not under Settings - General - Network

Under network your only options are and in this order

Cellular Data
Data Roaming
Personal Hotspot
VPN
Wi-Fi

I like to turn 3G off when I go to sleep or of course using wifi. I don't see an option now. I'm beginning to think Apple canceled the ability to turn wi-fi off because of Siri needing a constant 3G connection without issues

Joe McG

Jun 9, 2009
Visit site
Its not under Settings - General - Network

Under network your only options are and in this order

Cellular Data
Data Roaming
Personal Hotspot
VPN
Wi-Fi

I like to turn 3G off when I go to sleep or of course using wifi. I don't see an option now. I'm beginning to think Apple canceled the ability to turn wi-fi off because of Siri needing a constant 3G connection without issues

Not to be a smarta$$, but why don't you plug your phone in when going to sleep? I leave everything on (3G, Wifi, Bluetooth) all day whether I use it or not and just charge at night. No need to turn on and off.

Joe McG

Jun 9, 2009
Visit site
Oh, and it could be the new universal radio being used by Apple in the iPhone 4S. The hardware may not have the ability to selectively turn off 3G.

I doubt it's Siri...

ame

Trusted Member
Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
i turn my phone on airplane mode overnight. I also have used WiFi like 1 time ever. I don't do much that I think I'd need it for.

MustangLife

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
Not to be a smarta$$, but why don't you plug your phone in when going to sleep? I leave everything on (3G, Wifi, Bluetooth) all day whether I use it or not and just charge at night. No need to turn on and off.

I used 2 GB of data in 10 days. I need all the battery life I can get. And don't need to have my phone plugged up for 8-10 hours at night. I sleep with it next to me and charge it for an hour or so to 100% when I can. Its safe to say there are many people who have to do everything they can to save battery life. There isn't anything wrong with turning off 3G,WiFi,Bluetooth when your not using it. And talking on Edge gives you double talk time than talking on 3G so why wouldn't I want to turn it off.

MustangLife

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
Looks like 1 of 2 things since we've all confirmed there is no 3G option on the 4S. The only difference in the 4S and 4 in terms of anything related. Is the dual antennas and Siri. So those are either the reason or its just a bug. Which I doubt a bug so obvious would be mass released without it being brought to someones attention.

noaim

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
Looks like 1 of 2 things since we've all confirmed there is no 3G option on the 4S. The only difference in the 4S and 4 in terms of anything related. Is the dual antennas and Siri. So those are either the reason or its just a bug. Which I doubt a bug so obvious would be mass released without it being brought to someones attention.

I think its a bug because on the apple website they advertise talk time on 2g which is edge if you cant ever turn it on edge then how can they advertise that

Timberwolf

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
The "Enable 3G" button is in Settings-General-Mobile Data....

Maybe for you, but it appears that carriers have the option of whether or not they choose to enable the switch, and AT&T chose to exclude the switch. Which is really a shame, since their EDGE network would probably be great for when you are in a crowded city trying to make a phone call!

HankHowdy

May 12, 2012
Visit site
As far as I know this setting is only available for GSM iPhone 4S's. Blackberry phones are also this way.

Sent from my iPhone 4S? using Tapatalk

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro