I ordered my wife a phone in a Verizon Store last Friday. The sales rep said that I had to bring the phone in to be unlocked.

I didn't have to do that when I ordered myself an iPhone 4 back in February. All I had to do is sync it to iTunes to activate it.

So can you activate your iPhone 4S by syncing it to iTunes or do you have to bring it in?
    10-13-2011 02:09 PM
    If you ordered it in the Verizon store, they should be setting it up for you in the store, unless I'm missing something.
    10-13-2011 02:13 PM
    You can activate your phone via iTunes. But unlocking and activating are two different things.
    10-13-2011 02:13 PM
    At&t representitive told me to call them. or stop by local At&t store.
    ppl who already have Sim card, you can just plug in it to iPhone4S
    10-13-2011 02:15 PM
    If you ordered it in the Verizon store, they should be setting it up for you in the store, unless I'm missing something.
    I pre-ordered it in the store. I'm just going to sync it to iTunes when I get it tomorrow and see what happens.
    10-13-2011 02:17 PM
    I have ZERO faith in the ability of VZW to give you the proper support online (such as activation and ensuring your account is legit)... I would go in.
    10-13-2011 02:17 PM
    You can activate your phone via iTunes. But unlocking and activating are two different things.
    What does unlocking do?
    10-13-2011 02:18 PM
    What does unlocking do?
    What you need to make sure you do when you get the phone is follow the instructions on the yellow flyer about calling an 800# to accept terms & conditions for the contract renewal in order to allow the phone to be activated. Once you do that, then you can connect to iTunes and let it do its thing.
    mysimba97 likes this.
    10-13-2011 02:21 PM
    What you need to make sure you do when you get the phone is follow the instructions on the yellow flyer about calling an 800# to accept terms & conditions for the contract renewal in order to allow the phone to be activated. Once you do that, then you can connect to iTunes and let it do its thing.
    Yeah that's what I thought. Thanks for the help everybody.
    10-13-2011 02:27 PM
    At&t representitive told me to call them. or stop by local At&t store.
    ppl who already have Sim card, you can just plug in it to iPhone4S
    AT&T and Verizon use two different technologies. Verizon has no SIM card. If you mean they are gonna unlock the SIM slot so it can be used globaly it may have to be done in store. However you can activate the phone yourself!
    mysimba97 likes this.
    10-13-2011 02:39 PM
    I thought we no longer needed iTunes, wasn't that one of the big iOS 5 features. Plus the activation screen shots that have been posted seem to indicate we don't need iTunes. Or did I miss something?
    10-13-2011 09:49 PM
    I thought we no longer needed iTunes, wasn't that one of the big iOS 5 features. Plus the activation screen shots that have been posted seem to indicate we don't need iTunes. Or did I miss something?
    Quite possible one could activate without hooking to iTunes with the iP4s... but one can't activate anything on Verizon that was direct-fulfilled to them without following the process on the yellow flier to accept terms & conditions first. The ESN is locked out of the systems that do activation until terms & conditions are accepted. It's not unusual at all for someone to order a phone, never activate it or accept T&Cs... and sell the phone on e-bay or something similar, and the buyer is stuck with a brick that they can't activate because the ESN is locked.
    10-13-2011 09:56 PM
    What does unlocking do?
    Unlocking would make it be able to be used overseas and they will put a sim card in the phone for you. It doesnt come with the phone.
    10-13-2011 09:59 PM
    i preordered with apple and received this e-mail a few days ago before my iphone is even here!

Dear Apple Customer,
    We appreciate your recent iPhone purchase at the Apple Store.
    Congratulations! Your iPhone activation has been completed, and your phone number with Verizon Wireless is xxxxxx
    For your reference, the Activation ID of the completed order is: xxxxxxxxxxx
    Thank you for shopping at the Apple Store.
    Sincerely,
    The Apple Store Team
    Apple - Support - iPhone
    10-13-2011 10:39 PM
    I ordered my 4S as an upgrade on my line through Verizon.

I can activate the phone from my house on iTunes correct? I don't want to have to go to the store if I don't have to.
    10-14-2011 12:16 AM

I can activate the phone from my house on iTunes correct? I don't want to have to go to the store if I don't have to.
    I don't recall ever going to a Verizon store to activate any phone I bought online.
    10-14-2011 03:06 AM
    Unlocking would make it be able to be used overseas and they will put a sim card in the phone for you. It doesnt come with the phone.
    I haven't seen or heard anything official from Verizon yet but the consensus (and past history?) from writers on the internet is that the 4s could be unlocked for those traveling overseas after 60 days from launch. Apparently they are being shipped locked but can be unlocked if you pay your bills on time.

From what I've read (MacRumors I think), Sprint's are being shipped unlocked but will be locked. Like Verizon, Sprint is apparently going to allow unlocking for travelers after a grace period of some length.
    10-14-2011 08:49 AM
    you dont have to go into the store.. you can call them and they will do it over the phone.
    10-14-2011 08:57 AM

Look for a yellow flier in the packaging and follow the directions... all should be well if those directions are followed.
    10-14-2011 10:06 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD