Hi Folks,

I currently have a 2gb data plan and use about 50% of it each month. With all the "cloud" activity and updates, plus Siri (which I intend to use a lot), do you guys think it's worth it to invest in WiFi?

Also, what is the best brand of device for wifi?

Thanks!

T minus 2 days!!!
    10-12-2011 08:21 PM
    Hi Folks,

I currently have a 2gb data plan and use about 50% of it each month. With all the "cloud" activity and updates, plus Siri (which I intend to use a lot), do you guys think it's worth it to invest in WiFi?

Also, what is the best brand of device for wifi?

Thanks!

T minus 2 days!!!
    Yeah, WI-FI is awesome. Also you need WI-FI to FaceTime, if you do that in the first place. Also you don't get charged for using you're wireless providers internet. Double win
    10-12-2011 08:29 PM
    What router do yo use? They are called routers, right? I have a studio apartment, so I'm thinking I don't need a huge one...
    10-12-2011 08:32 PM
    I would say using wifi when possible since you are on a 2gb plan would be smart. I mean if worse comes to worse you can or atleast should be able to track your data usage online and then if you are getting close by the end of the month you could always go to wifi. If you are only using half of that now I would say you will be fine.
    pipemilo likes this.
    10-12-2011 08:33 PM
    You might as well get an airport express .... keep the Apple brand stuff flowing.
    pipemilo likes this.
    10-12-2011 08:34 PM
    What router do yo use? They are called routers, right? I have a studio apartment, so I'm thinking I don't need a huge one...
    I bought a cheap router from walmart or radioshack and it works fine for the 2 story house I live in. I would say a cheap router would work fine for you.
    pb&J likes this.
    10-12-2011 08:34 PM
    You could get Linksys, its very cheap and easy to set up. Just type in on Google, How to get WI-FI.
    pb&J likes this.
    10-12-2011 08:36 PM
    You should have wi-fi. Its a iphone dude! hahaha
    It's really useful, trust me
    10-12-2011 08:36 PM
    10-12-2011 08:39 PM
    Thanks guys for all the useful info! I think it's unanimous over here that I should get Wifi. I'm going to go with a cheap one, since that Airport Express looks very nice but is $99 (ouch).
    10-12-2011 08:41 PM
    Yeah I would agree with everyone, WiFi is a must with anything that is wireless. Using face-time, web browsing, and etc is much smoother and faster. Be sure to get a N router (i.e. Medialink - Wireless N Router - 802.11n) which is a the fastest any wireless router can be (for now) and the iPhone 4 and 4s support it. If you want to see many wireless routers just go on amazon.com and look look up some cheap ones and see the reviews. I personally have a dual-band 2.4GHz and 5GHz gaming router which handles everything I can throw at it (3 laptops, 1 desktop, 2 iPhones, 3 iPod Touches and my lovely PS3). Again that probably isn't for you since you just want it for your iPhone and /if laptop/desktop?. Hope I helped xD
    pb&J likes this.
    10-12-2011 09:06 PM
    Yes, Javier, thanks. I only want it for my phone and desktop, and for any guests who come to visit me who have phones/computers.
    10-12-2011 09:10 PM
    I'm thinking about this router, what do you guys think? It comes free if I switch to verizon fios.

Actiontec MI424WR Verizon FiOS Router
    10-12-2011 09:12 PM
    I don't know how you're living without wifi lol. All kidding aside it is very worth while, if you have a blu-ray/ps3/wii or anything else that can connect to the internet it is worth it to be able to stream netflix and whatnot. If you have a laptop it is worth it to not be tied down to a cord and even with a desktop it's nice to not have to put your computer by the modem or run cords all over the place. Wifi will also most of the time give you faster speed when using the internet on your phone. Like others said as well you need it for facetime. I live in a 2 bedroom condo that is not huge but it's sizeable and I use a base model router that I picked up for 20 bucks on black friday last year and it works great. You will be fine with a base model also and normally they run around $30. I use it for my laptop, 2 wii's, phone and tablet with no issues
    10-12-2011 09:31 PM
    Lynksys Cisco
    10-12-2011 09:37 PM
    I second the Cisco Valet. The easiest to set up ever!!
    10-12-2011 09:41 PM
    I have used Linksys routers and I was not a big fan of them. (Mainly because I am not good with setting up internet so whenever I reset the router, I can't get my internet back on)
    The Verizon Router you linked is the best router I ever had. I have FIOS right now and my speed whether it is Wi-Fi or connected through a cable is awesome.
    I can finish downloading my apps within seconds even if its a huge app like those games.
    If I have to reset the router, the internet always comes back on immediately after reset and I have rarely been disconnected.
    Also, don't forget to set up a WEP key protection for your wireless setting once you get a router!
    10-12-2011 09:48 PM
    I have used Linksys routers and I was not a big fan of them. (Mainly because I am not good with setting up internet so whenever I reset the router, I can't get my internet back on)
    The Verizon Router you linked is the best router I ever had. I have FIOS right now and my speed whether it is Wi-Fi or connected through a cable is awesome.
    I can finish downloading my apps within seconds even if its a huge app like those games.
    If I have to reset the router, the internet always comes back on immediately after reset and I have rarely been disconnected.
    Also, don't forget to set up a WEP key protection for your wireless setting once you get a router!
    Thanks everyone!

Barron, what internet package did you get? Did you get the regular high speed or enhanced?
    10-12-2011 09:54 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD