See the article just posted on TiPb. Sprint i4S's come with unlocked SIM, and Verizon will unlock upon request after 60 days. Is anyone else psyched about this??

Here's the source article:
    How international is the iPhone 4S 'world phone?' | Phones | iOS Central | Macworld
    Last edited by tham; 10-12-2011 at 10:42 AM.
    numb3rmonkey likes this.
    10-12-2011 10:39 AM
    Should give a little higher resale value since it can be cdma or gsm. Verizon did this with their blackberry also after a certain period of time they unlocked it upon request.
    10-12-2011 10:41 AM
    Do you plan on traveling abroad a lot or something?
    10-12-2011 10:43 AM
    Not a lot, but I do have to travel overseas for work sometimes, and now I'll be able to call and text my wife while abroad and use data, and not stick to the hotel's wifi and phone.
    10-12-2011 10:51 AM
    See the article just posted on TiPb. Sprint i4S's come with unlocked SIM, and Verizon will unlock upon request after 60 days. Is anyone else psyched about this??

Here's the source article:
    How international is the iPhone 4S 'world phone?' | Phones | iOS Central | Macworld
    I mean I guess, It's good news. To me it doesn't really matter because I don't travel a lot but, I guess for others it can be.
    10-12-2011 10:52 AM
    this is excellent news for a lot of people. i have a local european sim in my blackberry that i switch between gsm and cdma. now i know when i am in europe i can solely use gsm on my local carrier!
    10-12-2011 10:57 AM
    Very cool! When I was stationed overseas, this would have been very helpful.
    10-12-2011 11:08 AM
    Forgive me since I am not very knowledgeable of such things, but does this mean that if one owns a Sprint iPhone 4S that after 60 days it can also be used with the AT&T network? Or is it still carrier locked in the US?
    10-12-2011 11:17 AM
    Man now I wish I could have waited a lil longer with sprint. Is there any way to get the iPhone unlocked on AT&T?

" Think different"

~ Steve Jobs ~
    10-12-2011 11:17 AM
    Man now I wish I could have waited a lil longer with sprint. Is there any way to get the iPhone unlocked on AT&T?

" Think different"

~ Steve Jobs ~
    I'm sure there's a way, via Jailbreaking. Or maybe beg AT&T to unlock it?
    10-12-2011 11:20 AM
    I'm sure there's a way, via Jailbreaking. Or maybe beg AT&T to unlock it?
    AT&T ain't unlocking anything for its customers! They will unlock every other phone except the iPhone!
    10-12-2011 11:22 AM
    Not even at a store?

" Think different"

~ Steve Jobs ~
    10-12-2011 11:55 AM
    This is great news. Work takes me abroad at least once a month and I visit the homeland in SEA every November so I look forward to testing this out next month.
    10-12-2011 12:14 PM
    well.. maybe not.. Sprint is denying this.. boooo...

Sprint Denies Report of Unlocked Micro-SIM in iPhone 4S - Mac Rumors
    10-12-2011 12:22 PM
    Sprint!!! Arghhh!!!!
    10-12-2011 12:26 PM
    Not even at a store?

" Think different"

~ Steve Jobs ~
    Nope. AT&T will not unlock the iPhone at all. Even the original iPhone 1st Gen that has been off contract long ago. Kind of lame.
    10-12-2011 12:51 PM
    well.. maybe not.. Sprint is denying this.. boooo...

Sprint Denies Report of Unlocked Micro-SIM in iPhone 4S - Mac Rumors
    Yeah I just read that too. It isn't surprising. Phone companies have zero interest in allowing us to use our phones how we please. Even if they are still under a contract.
    10-12-2011 12:52 PM
    This was the coolest thing I've read all day. Now I can pop in and out different sim cards. This is so helpful because I'm gunna buy on Verizon and can use on different carriers!
    10-12-2011 12:54 PM
    This was the coolest thing I've read all day. Now I can pop in and out different sim cards. This is so helpful because I'm gunna buy on Verizon and can use on different carriers!
    Sorry bit sprint just denied it seems like it was a misunderstanding.

" Think different"

~ Steve Jobs ~
    10-12-2011 12:56 PM
    Sorry bit sprint just denied it seems like it was a misunderstanding.

" Think different"

~ Steve Jobs ~
    Sprint, probably said something like we will not unlock it, and then someone speculated that they will and told MacRumors, and they wrote about it. Haha, It's alright though. I wasn't really going to use that feature anyway.
    10-12-2011 01:09 PM
    But you can always see if it can be done with jailbreak

" Think different"

~ Steve Jobs ~
    10-12-2011 01:15 PM
    I do. On tour. This is a GOD-SEND on Sprint for me. Awesome!!!
    10-12-2011 01:22 PM
    Well it was a misunderstanding so it looks like Sprint's not unlocking it.
    10-12-2011 01:25 PM
    Sorry but check this out:

Ars Technica now reports that Sprint has reached out to deny this report, indicating that the iPhone 4S will not work with international micro-SIMs.
    However, while Sprint will now support international roaming on GSM networks with the appropriate monthly plan, the company will not be selling the phone unlocked for use with international microSIMs. Ars asked Michelle Mermelstein, a Sprint wireless device public relations representative, to confirm that the Sprint iPhone 4S would not work with international microSIMs.
    10-12-2011 01:27 PM
    Looks like another revision is coming

We heard from Sprint a second time, which redacted part of its previous statement. The carrier further explained "the SIM is removable and is not affixed to the device," which as you may notice directly contradicts the statement made earlier today. We've reached out to Apple twice and are awaiting further clarification.
    Sprint and Verizon confirm iPhone 4S Micro SIM unlock for international travel (update: Sprint remains locked?) -- Engadget

It doesn't make sense that Sprint locking the SIM on the Iphone when their Androids and Blackberries are completely unlocked for any international SIM....True that the Androids and Blackberries cannot be used on AT&T or T-Mobile here but International you're free as a bird.

That Sprint rep obviously doesn't know what she's talking about.
    10-12-2011 02:18 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD