MacRumors: No more free iPhone replacements

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
AppleCare+ to End Informal Free Replacement Policy for Damaged iPhones [Updated] - Mac Rumors

Last week, we noted that Apple had introduced a new "AppleCare+" offering for iPhone, replacing the previous $69 AppleCare with the new $99 warranty extending coverage to two years from the date of device purchase and including new coverage for up to two incidents of accidental damage. Incidents of accidental damage covered under the new AppleCare+ program will also incur $49 service fees.

One Apple retail store source has contacted us to explain in more detail how the new AppleCare+ program will also change the way the Genius Bar handles damaged devices. Previously, Genius Bar staff had some flexibility in waiving the $199 out-of-warranty replacement fee as a "one-time exception", giving customers a free replacement for a damaged phone. With the shift to AppleCare+, Genius Bar staff will no longer have the option of offering free replacements, so customers who have been aware of Apple's informal replacement policy should be mindful of the change.

Apple is also now requiring that AppleCare+ be purchased at the same time as the device, a change from other AppleCare offerings that have allowed customers to purchase AppleCare anytime before the standard warranty expires. That requirement has been causing some confusion with iPhone 4S pre-orders through carriers and other outlets, as many of them have not been offering AppleCare+ as an option.

Customers seem to be hearing different stories from Apple sales representatives regarding adding AppleCare+ to iPhone 4S purchases made elsewhere, adding to the confusion. Some representatives have suggested that a simple phone call to Apple can resolve the situation, while others have suggested that users should bring their unopened iPhone 4S boxes to Apple retail stores and have staff members set up the devices and add AppleCare+.

But while Apple's official policy requires AppleCare+ to be purchased at same time as the device, the source who reached out to us notes that Apple will allow users who did not purchase AppleCare+ to add it to a replacement phone if they damage their device and need to have it replaced. Under the program, customers needing to replace a damaged iPhone would be given a $50 discount on Apple's standard $199 replacement fee if they also purchase AppleCare+ for the replacement device, for a total cost of $249. That program would then cover the consumer for additional accidental damage incidents in the future.

Update: We're hearing that even Apple isn't clear on whether AppleCare+ needs to be purchased at the same time as the device. While Apple's iPhone and AppleCare pages are clear that AppleCare+ "must be purchased together with your new iPhone", the legal text of the AppleCare+ Terms and Conditions (PDF) indicates otherwise:
You must purchase the Plan while your original iPhone is within Apple?s One Year Limited warranty.
We've been told that Apple may be offering some clarification on the AppleCare+ situation by the time the iPhone 4S launches on Friday.

Update 2: Apple has been reaching out to customers who were unable to order AppleCare+ at the time of their iPhone 4S purchases, noting that customers will have 30 days to visit an Apple retail store to purchase AppleCare+ if they so desire. The company's online store will not support standalone ordering of AppleCare+.

tham

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
If this is true, that there is now no chance of getting a free replacement, then it may be worth the extra money. If either my wife or I damages our phone just once in the next 2 years (likely), then the policy is essentially paid for already.

After all, we have a tiny boy that likes to put shiny things in his slobbery mouth :D

E_Brown

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
That makes sense that they won't do free replacements, when they offer their own sort of insurance. I usually don't buy apple care, but I will buy this if I can replace damaged phone for $50.

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
Not sure why so many people are throwing a fit over this. And I'm not referring to anyone here. It's pretty fair.

fridayxiii

Jul 27, 2009
Visit site
AppleCare+ seems like a good value to me, and was a no-brainer when pre-ordering. Nice to hear that Apple will allow the add-on for customers that pre-ordered through their wireless carrier and might not've had the option.

Netherscourge

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
This is why getting a GOOD case for your iPhone is a must-buy accessory.

I'm paying $50 for a 4S case and I have no regrets about it.

Flimsy film-screen protectors and loose-fitting rubber molding isn't good enough IMO.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
I think actually having accidental damage coverage makes not getting free replacements worth it.

This new policy is certainly more fair to all - pay for the coverage and get it, as opposed to the current less than objective way it's done now - "YOU and YOU get free replacements. YOU don't." with no obvious rhyme or reason.

davjaxn

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
I look at it this way: I would rather have the security of certainty of a replacement with AppleCare+ than the uncertainty of a replacement by a Mac Genius using his/her discretion.

I think this is also a product of the huge success of the iPhone within the last few years. Maybe with the first two years of the iPone's existence Apple could be more liberal with this kind of thing but now with millions and millions of iPhones out there there is no way Apple can "surprise and delight" every customer who comes in with a cracked up iPhone.

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
I read it and was just saying I haven't heard anyone complain about this. This policy is much better than other insurance plans.

Well your post said "nobody on this thread is throwing a fit" and that implies I was accusing people in this thread of complaining. It also implies you did not read my post completely. Anyways, back on topic.

Eli4S

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site
Only thing is what if we don't have the funds for applecare? Even if we don't in the 30 days... Seems like you should be able to buy this at anytime, but then again people could just wait until something happens and then pay for it... either way I think it's fair, but just stinks for some people who can't afford it.

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
I read it and was just saying I haven't heard anyone complain about this. This policy is much better than other insurance plans.

Hint: He was being facetious...

Anyway, this is perfectly fine, they should've never offered replacements for damaged phones, anyway! They should only offer free replacements for manufacturer defects, like malfunctioning home buttons, fault sensors, etc...

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
Only thing is what if we don't have the funds for applecare? Even if we don't in the 30 days... Seems like you should be able to buy this at anytime, but then again people could just wait until something happens and then pay for it... either way I think it's fair, but just stinks for some people who can't afford it.

I think they are doing this to prevent people from waiting until something happens to their phone and then buying the apple care just because they broke their phone or something.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site

How is this different from any other purchase? If one doesn't have the funds for the purchase, then they don't make the purchase. Like many other things in life, it's simply a matter of choices - spend your money in the wisest way possible.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods