Lack of LTE, effect your decision?

pb&J

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
Brain cancer is a rare occurrence, even with cell phones potentially increasing the risk. Even if cell phones, say, doubled the risk, the bump in the percentage of population who had brain cancer is so small that a ridiculously large sample size is needed to prove a causality, and even then it would be difficult. I am aware of studies showing a lack of causality, but I'm not always 100% convinced by studies, as science is not always perfect and certain things are hard to study. (This coming from a science geek)

To me, just because a link hasn't been proven doesn't mean it doesn't exist. I am not adamantly saying that they do cause cancer, I'm just saying it's possible they do and it may be something to consider.

Here is a great summary of the evidence so far from the American Cancer Society if anyone is interested:
Cellular Phones

I think we may just have to agree to disagree and move on, no harm done. Sorry to have hijacked this thread.

Guacho

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
While it didn't effect my purchase (purchased a 4S for my wife) it would have been nice to have. I mean, the more features the better. I don't think AT&T (my carrier) charges extra for "4G" service on its phones like Sprint does so, bring on the LTE iPhone 5! That is, assuming, they don't begin to charge extra for an LTE iPhone!

Ohh you bet they will...

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
Ohh you bet they will...

Idk since apple will determine the prices the only way at&t could charge more is if they changed the plans, which I don't see them doing that since verizon will have a larger lte network and verizon does not charge extra for lte plans and that may cause some to leave at&t for verizon. That is the only good thing about the big 2 is they pretty much mirror eachother so neither has a real advantage to switch.

zackawee27

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
You know, like having some kind of program that automatically responds to posts. I don't know how on earth you have so many posts in such a short period of time without being automated! ;)

Trust me, I have been on here like 24/7 just so I can win this contest. My name is Zack Jaghab. I live in Michigan. I know you (well kind of) CarrieMK, I've helped you with a lot the past week. Hopefully you believe I'm me and not animated ahah :)

CarrieMK

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
Trust me, I have been on here like 24/7 just so I can win this contest. My name is Zack Jaghab. I live in Michigan. I know you (well kind of) CarrieMK, I've helped you with a lot the past week. Hopefully you believe I'm me and not animated ahah :)

Lol, I do believe you ;) I am trying to win the contest for my son. Too bad there can't be two winners! I would vote for you.

iPhoneGleek

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
I'm not bothered by it because AT&T barely even have a LTE network lol and my speeds aren't slow so wheneer iPhone does get LTE it will be a nice boost but it's not really needed right now, IMO.

Manchild Pr0digy

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site
The lack of LTE didn't affect my decision at all. I've used an LTE phone (Droid Bionic). The battery life was absolutely dreadful. Call me crazy, but I actually enjoy being able to get through a day without having to charge my phone twice.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
The lack of LTE didn't affect my decision at all. I've used an LTE phone (Droid Bionic). The battery life was absolutely dreadful. Call me crazy, but I actually enjoy being able to get through a day without having to charge my phone twice.

Try using an htc thunderbolt. The battery died on me in 3 hours with nothing syncing and not touching it once. I am in the same boat as you I would rather my phone last all day then have super fast downloads. With the apps and browsing the web the extra speeds aren't needed.

lockerc18

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Hey all. My wife and I are on a family plan on Verizon and she upgraded (she's primary account holder) to the iPhone 4 back in June. We were grandfathered in to the unlimited Data for the next 2 years. I have an HTC Incredible and I had every intention of purchasing the 4s or 5 whichever they released, but when there was no LTE announced I had second thoughts. Having unlimited data I was excited to take advantage of the faster service and not have to worry about going over. I know that the Prime is coming but I was ready for a jump to iOS. Anyone else have second thoughts after there was no LTE announced? My Verizon store is kinda in the middle of nowhere so I'm sure I can get a 4s this Friday but I'm on the fence right now about what to do. FWIW, I have never had a problem with my Incredible. I'm rooted running the GB update and this phone has been great, so I have nothing against Android at the moment.

The lack of LTE was one factor. Even though it's not widely deployed yet, in the next 2 years, it will be more pervasive. So, getting locked into a contract for those 2 years on a device which doesn't have LTE was not something I wanted to get into. Of course, as others point out, I use WiFi all the time, and that's better than LTE. But if I travel in LTE areas, I want LTE. And to heck with any battery issues. I figure there has to be some knob to twist to shut LTE off, and I could use that to preserve the battery.

But there were other factors, too. The unchanged screen size was a real bummer. I have a Droid X now, and I got it largely for the screen size. The current iPhone screen is too small for my fat fingers and lousy eyes. So not having a larger screen was a non-starter.

And, VZW didn't offer any incentives like earlier NE2 dates, and I'm locked up until next spring with my DX. So, since I have to wait anyway, I might as well wait for the iPhone 5, if that ever decides to come out of mythology and enter the real world.

Last edited:

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
The lack of LTE was one factor. Even though it's not widely deployed yet, in the next 2 years, it will be more pervasive. So, getting locked into a contract for those 2 years on a device which doesn't have LTE was not something I wanted to get into. Of course, as others point out, I use WiFi all the time, and that's better than LTE. But if I travel in LTE areas, I want LTE. And to heck with any battery issues. I figure there has to be some knob to twist to shut LTE off, and I could use that to preserve the battery.

But there were other factors, too. The unchanged screen size was a real bummer. I have a Droid X now, and I got it largely for the screen size. The current iPhone screen is too small for my fat fingers and lousy eyes. So not having a larger screen was a non-starter.

And, VZW didn't offer any incentives like earlier NE2 dates, and I'm locked up until next spring with my DX. So, since I have to wait anyway, I might as well wait for the iPhone 5, if that ever decides to come out of mythology and enter the real world.
The screen has a better resolution so it would be easier on your eyes on the iPhone. Why would Verizon give earlier ne2 when the iPhone practically sells itself?

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73